UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dirty Kempo over BJJ, apparently.

5/7/13 9:26 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chadderz
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The man... The LEGEND, is back! Back pedalling like his name was Lyoto Machida.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VLWYCaetQVw
5/7/13 9:51 AM
Cojendo
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

halfninja - So if you have a kempo knife, and the guy from the other thread has his $3.50 dollar store knife, who wins?
Society, if they manage to kill each other. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 10:06 AM
ShawnTheBadger
337 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dhughes - I worry about these kinds of guys teaching women's defense. While an eye gouge or bite might be effective, it also raises the rules of engagement. If you are in a fight for your life, you do whatever you can, but otherwise trying to gouge at an eye will most likely get you gouged right back especially if you are in a compromised position.

I remember seeing a fight where the guy on the bottom tried headbutting the guy on top...which then gave the guy on top the idea to headbutt back. Whoops.

I respectfully disagree with your entire premise.

There are no rules of engagement to raise in a street-fight.  There are no rules, gentlemens agreements, no holding back, no quarter asked, none taken.  A street or bar fight is full-tilt offensive and unbridled savagery.

Bites, head-butts, groin shots, eye-gouging, fish-hooking, additional unexpected opponents, and both carry weapons and impromptu battlefield weapons are all on the table.

The guy on the bottom trying to head-butt the guy on top, who then realizes (!) he can headbutt back, just shows that neither guy knew what the  hell he was doing in a street fight.

One thing that is very hard to teach to either sex is "zero to savage instantaneously."  Teaching folks facing a street/bar fight to immediately drop any pretense at civil behavior, and snap into true, no-bullshit, combat mode.

Kenpo-Man has never been in a serious street/bar fight in his entire adult life, if he thinks that a broken finger will stop a determined attacker.  I have finished fights and been 100% oblivious to my injuries, many of which, many times over, were worse than a broken finger.  Adrenalin (and whatever other chemicals your body dumps) is a helluva drug.

Grappling in a street fight will inflict nasty road-rash, cuts and abrasions, even if it is a clean swept (nightclub) concrete or asphalt parking lot.  No "condoms, needles, glass" necessary.  I have a permanent scar on my right knee from mount position while in bar fights.  Big, pink circle, no hair.  Ground right through dress pants.  Got a quarter-sized scar on the outside of my right elbow from the same type of abrasion.

I would not accept instruction in self-defense from Kenpo-Man.  He's clueless. 

5/7/13 10:09 AM
uberpinscher
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why havent we seen this?!?!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLWYCaetQVw
5/7/13 10:24 AM
Cojendo
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

uberpinscher - why havent we seen this?!?!?
Would a blue be so kind to link this? Thanks. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 10:38 AM
Cojendo

The second video is a response to all of the replays to his original video. He states that it wasn't fair to pin street Kempo to sport BJJ. Some BJJer actually went to his school not to challenge him, but to have a discussion with him about why he was wrong an explained why.
In the end the BJJer was invited back to to a seminar. They might have also had cake. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 11:19 AM
Soul Gravy
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Find yourself a finger.

Break that thang.
5/7/13 11:35 AM
MTH
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will it embed if I link it from my iPhone? Not sure . . . . Anyway, here goes:

He still doesn't get it though. Ignoring that nobody pulls guard in a street fight, the knife thing is the only thing that's viable in his "defenses."

Unless you know how to defend it in the BJJ context, an active guard is not something you can just start grabbing eyes or fingers in. His base is going to be all types of challenged, his posture is going to get wrecked, and he's getting swept or submitted (or will be engaged trying to defend them) before he can work his "finger twists." Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 11:39 AM
UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS
196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vid of this guy

5/7/13 11:43 AM
UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS
196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The whole problem with what he does is he's showing ineffective techniques and that's what people are calling him out on.

The only technique I saw that had any hope of working was the eye gouge.  Knife doesn't count that's the dumbest thing to introduce in a video for kenpo vs bjj.  I think he should try any of those techniques on a resisting blue belt +.  Hell even a decent white belt would be able to sweep him off his ass and stop his attacks.

The bottom line is he isn't qualified to teach ground based fighting and it showed in the video.  If he was qualified he would be telling you the dangers of lifting your knees or bringing your arm across someones body.

5/7/13 12:21 PM
billyball2
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS - 

vid of this guy

Dicktuck
5/7/13 12:30 PM
Cojendo

MTH - Will it embed if I link it from my iPhone? Not sure . . . . Anyway, here goes:

He still doesn't get it though. Ignoring that nobody pulls guard in a street fight, the knife thing is the only thing that's viable in his "defenses."

Unless you know how to defend it in the BJJ context, an active guard is not something you can just start grabbing eyes or fingers in. His base is going to be all types of challenged, his posture is going to get wrecked, and he's getting swept or submitted (or will be engaged trying to defend them) before he can work his "finger twists." Phone Post 3.0
100% correct. He admitted that his comparison wasn't fair but he still doesn't see that his logic, save for his knife Kempo thing, is completely flawed. He has obviously never trained BJJ, nor has been in any tough street fights.
Nice guy but he's just real simple in his MA thinking. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 1:14 PM
duckhuntgangsta
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cojendo - The second video is a response to all of the replays to his original video. He states that it wasn't fair to pin street Kempo to sport BJJ. Some BJJer actually went to his school not to challenge him, but to have a discussion with him about why he was wrong an explained why.
In the end the BJJer was invited back to to a seminar. They might have also had cake. Phone Post 3.0

Street Kempo? Sheeeeet, where I'm from its called Gangtsa Kempo...

this guy should have just told the BJJers to sit down and shut the fuck up unless they wanted to get stabbed...

Gangtsa Kempo, BITCH

5/7/13 1:51 PM
frankiscool
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is an old one, but John Marsh accepting this guy's challenge, no rules, etc. I want to say it was for at most $1000. But the TMA guy could eye gouge, etc...no rules.

Watch how it worked out for him. I didn't hear it on this version, but his arm pops at the end.

http://youtu.be/_taQXTem_X4

5/7/13 2:27 PM
andyman011
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

frankiscool - This is an old one, but John Marsh accepting this guy's challenge, no rules, etc. I want to say it was for at most $1000. But the TMA guy could eye gouge, etc...no rules.

Watch how it worked out for him. I didn't hear it on this version, but his arm pops at the end.

This is what I imagine happens 9/10 times Phone Post
5/7/13 4:00 PM
Cojendo

andyman011 -
frankiscool - This is an old one, but John Marsh accepting this guy's challenge, no rules, etc. I want to say it was for at most $1000. But the TMA guy could eye gouge, etc...no rules.

This is what I imagine happens 9/10 times Phone Post
99/100 did you mean? Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 11:09 PM
Cojendo

Snapple -

Locking Horns - Kenpo Self Defense Technique For A Front Head Lock

Is Mr James a troll? The "headlock" in this video wouldn't be used in the worst of the worst karate (Segal?) movies. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 11:56 PM
MTH
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like most TMAs, I don't really think American Kenpo is terribly effective, but one thing I'm certain of is that it looks pretty cool.

This guy has all the fluidity of a deer on its hind legs. Phone Post 3.0
5/8/13 12:15 AM
hubbarocks
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
5/8/13 12:45 AM
Seats Taken
132 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone is fucked at my gym tomorrow. I'm handing out ass knees and I'm putting my buck knife on my belt. No can defend. Phone Post 3.0
5/8/13 4:06 AM
TheLuckyMilkMan
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

this crack baby/ kenpo instructor throwing a punch:
throws punch

stops for three solid seconds in the middle of the punch to ponder if a brass unicorn can fly.

completes punch
5/8/13 4:47 AM
Sergio88
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for vid OP man that's scary. Phone Post 3.0
5/8/13 8:27 AM
duckhuntgangsta
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seats Taken - Everyone is fucked at my gym tomorrow. I'm handing out ass knees and I'm putting my buck knife on my belt. No can defend. Phone Post 3.0
Ha! Phone Post 3.0
5/8/13 8:31 AM
duckhuntgangsta

Cojendo -
Snapple -

Is Mr James a troll? The "headlock" in this video wouldn't be used in the worst of the worst karate (Segal?) movies. Phone Post 3.0
Where do you think he learned his "deadly arts" from? Phone Post 3.0
5/8/13 9:34 AM
Cojendo

duckhuntgangsta -
Cojendo -
Snapple -

Where do you think he learned his "deadly arts" from? Phone Post 3.0
The local Renaissance Festival, perhaps? Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.