UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Supplements and bjj

5/15/13 10:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Biggy
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

surprised no one has mentioned glutamine for recovery. if u wanna train everyday and minimize the soreness this is the go to legal supp

multivitamin is good

fish oil for joints

I've heard mixed reviews on creatine some years ago that it caused cramping. not sure if the newer brands addressed this Phone Post 3.0
5/17/13 10:36 PM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone tried Q5 stay alpha??

The warrior green & purple look interesting..

http://www.q5combat.com/
5/18/13 5:02 AM
athsportsnutrition
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/18/13 5:19 AM
www.athsportsnutrition.com

Besides a good fish oil and multivitamin, I'd reccommend a well researched carb protein shake. I'm biased though, but there are a handful of companies that make good scientific recovery shakes. I used to use a lot of endurance sport brands and tweak them a little. A little background on me, im a Relson Gracie Brown Belt and trained since I was 15. Played HS football & pro/college baseball. I like a shake that has a 3 to 1 ratio, some l glutamine, electrolytes. There's some studies that show Vit C & E help reduce overtraining and boost your immune system along with L glutamine. Make sure the ingredients are easily digestible and in correct forms. One good example is magnesium cittrate vs carbonate. Whey and Micellar Casein are two high quality proteins Id recommend along with Maltodextrin and Dextrose for carbs. If youre on a budget, most important is adding carbs to protein.

5/18/13 5:03 AM
athsportsnutrition
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/18/13 5:21 AM

A lot of the supplements are crap or just repackaging whey into some fancy name. If youre gonna go that route, throw some gatorade powder (primarily dextrose) in some whey.. not the best but if youre on a budget itll do. Guarantee you'll feel 100 times better after training.

5/18/13 2:47 PM
Truemanc3
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im 43, work in construction with 2 young kids and I train BJJ 6-10 hrs a week.
I have trained in BJJ 16 years
I never use anything other than a reasonable diet!
I train smart and when I hurt I rest.

As someone said above.... get your 8hrs in.
5/18/13 6:23 PM
bigraydaddy
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is a good fish oil brand?

And has anybody tried krill oil?

I've heard good things about krill oil.
5/18/13 9:38 PM
athsportsnutrition

bigraydaddy - What is a good fish oil brand?

And has anybody tried krill oil?

I've heard good things about krill oil.
I usually use whatever's on sale. Just make sure you're getting a good amount (1.8-3grams of EPA/DHA recommended by Lyle Mcdonald). Theres some higher concentration pills if you have a problem taking a lot of pills. Make sure it's purified to remove mercury but most major brands already have it removed. (Just good to double check). Phone Post
5/19/13 5:53 PM
bigraydaddy

Thanks. I thought the cheaper the fish oil the lower the quality.
5/19/13 11:37 PM
AokiPants
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Biggy - surprised no one has mentioned glutamine for recovery. if u wanna train everyday and minimize the soreness this is the go to legal supp

multivitamin is good

fish oil for joints

I've heard mixed reviews on creatine some years ago that it caused cramping. not sure if the newer brands addressed this Phone Post 3.0
Creatine worka great. Numerous studies have proven its effectiveness not only in muscular endurance and strength but even in anaerobic activities such as sprinting. It's a natural substance too, as it's found in fish and red meat in smaller quantities.

The problem with the original creatine monohydrate powder was that it was almost impossible to mix, and it made you feel bloated for like 30 min after you took it. Also, the monohydrate powder caused you to gain 5 pounds of water weight when you took it, and you needed to load it when you started.

I switched to Kre-Akalyn, which is the same monohydrate substance with a pH buffer. It eliminates the need for loading and doesn't make you feel bloated. Works great for me, and it comes in powder and pill form. However, in order to see results with creatine you really need to be lifting weights with high intensity, so if you only so BJJ I'm not sure if you will see as significant of gains.

Also, don't buy any form of liquid creatine, the formula is unstable and your body won't absorb it. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 4:43 PM
John Nic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vegetarian here, so im missing some important things

i need b12

fishoil x2

protein sometimes

amino acid sports mix right before, during, and after practice so I have energy and not worn out after training.
5/21/13 6:32 PM
Master Bater
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Many people have stated that whatever the recommended dosage on the bottle for fish oil, you should double it! The bottle says "do not" exceed the stated dosage...

Is the such thing as too much? Or potential complications by double dosing?

Also what brand is recommended?? I'm in the UK.

Wanted to get some

Fish oil tabs
Vitamin B12
Glutamine

Anything I missed?
5/21/13 7:18 PM
Biggy

b12 needs to be the 1200mcg pills Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 7:29 PM
Master Bater

Thanks, and the others?
5/23/13 2:42 AM
Flying knee
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Master Bater - Many people have stated that whatever the recommended dosage on the bottle for fish oil, you should double it! The bottle says "do not" exceed the stated dosage...

Is the such thing as too much? Or potential complications by double dosing?

Also what brand is recommended?? I'm in the UK.

Wanted to get some

Fish oil tabs
Vitamin B12
Glutamine

Anything I missed?
I'm also in UK. I use the my protein omega 3 fish oil. I take 10 caps a day and so far so good Phone Post 3.0
5/23/13 7:38 PM
Master Bater

^^ Thanks brother... Worked it out now with the fish oil.. Im looking at 3000mg/3grams per day....

Is that what you are on?
5/25/13 4:06 AM
Flying knee
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Master Bater - ^^ Thanks brother... Worked it out now with the fish oil.. Im looking at 3000mg/3grams per day....

Is that what you are on?
It's best to base it on EPA/DHA total amount. 10 capsules (my protein)= EPA-1800mg and DHA-1200mg, so yeah 3000mg in total but 3000mg of a lesser quality fish oil may equate to less and obviously a better quality fish oil you would have to take less. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.