UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Focus of Women's MMA is Sex Appeal

5/5/13 11:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
56sav
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't make threads often but thought I'd share an observation on the current state of women's MMA.

Now before I begin I'd like to state that the ladies definitely do try really hard which is worthy of everyone’s respect, but with that in mind, a few facts:

-The average woman has about 1/4 the strength of the average man
-Women have measurably less cardio
-Women's MMA is, skill wise, between 10-15 years behind men’s MMA

#1 ranked Ronda Rousey's skill level is comparatively about a 1994 Royce Gracie. No hate, Royce was awesome for his time, just honesty.

Now before you call me sexist, misogynistic, etc, consider who the most hyped and generally biggest selling MMA draws are: the larger fighters. Why? Simply put people want to know who the baddest man on the planet is, a theme which has carried over from the "style vs style" matchups of the SEG era UFC. They want to see a guy who could kick THEIR ass.

Yes, there are superstars of the smaller divisions but the number of higher paid fights decreases rapidly relative to their weight, which proves who actually sells. Hardcore fans appreciate all weights but not the mainstream, who make up the vast majority of the demographic.

Take a look at the top earners of 2012. Only 1 (GSP) is below 185lbs, and none from the 4 divisions below welterweight (where women reside in) are featured.
http://www.mma-manifesto.com/ufc-fighter-salary-database/salary-main/2012-fighter-salaries-top-10-earners.html

So what do you do with an almost all male audience who wants to watch the highest possible level of strength, skill, athleticism, a deep talent pool, and big knockouts? Find the best looking women to divert the attention from that.

Coincidence that the two most popular female MMA fighters are attractive to the majority of men? If Rousey was a dog she would never have been preened to be the champion. Gina Carano was the only reason to care about women’s MMA for the longest time, and now editorials with “sexy” MMA girl pics are popping up left and right.

On top of that Zuffa is now marketing the next episode the The Ultimate Fighter with men and women in the same house, an obvious grab for sex appeal/flirtation. Why not just let the women have a separate house?

They realize people tune in for the spectacle of fit women in tight skimpy outfits taking on all sorts of positions. Smart money is definitely on the next season’s women being above average looking.

This begs the question as to whether, what is at this point in time, what is largely a commodity will contribute enough to make you shell out $60 for a PPV. Will we see a mainstream shift of acceptance to something that is the same but also very different?
5/5/13 11:13 AM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Women's professional sports in general are about seeing the female forum. That's not news. This is why all the masculine and formerly male athletes are generally not well-regarded--it's pointless to have women's sports filled with them.
5/5/13 11:13 AM
Bad Monkey
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, attractive people are more marketable.

This goes for the men as well.

Thank you for making a FRAT about it though.

5/5/13 11:15 AM
56sav

It's not a question of whether attractive people are more marketable, it's whether that is enough to make up for the other obvious shortcomings.
5/5/13 11:25 AM
creepymcfinger

Good post Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 11:27 AM
SnapLocally
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Yes, attractive people are more marketable.

This goes for the men as well."

Roy Nelson is plenty marketable. Find him attractive?
5/5/13 11:28 AM
jdindiana
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have no problem with that

5/5/13 11:30 AM
56sav

jdindiana - 

They're nice to look at, but is that enough to make them sustainable in a revenue driven sport?
5/5/13 11:34 AM
SnapLocally
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

56sav - 
jdindiana - 

They're nice to look at, but is that enough to make them sustainable in a revenue driven sport?

Do they put asses in seats and sell PPV's?

Dana seems to think so.
5/5/13 11:36 AM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

SnapLocally - "Yes, attractive people are more marketable.

He's the exception that proves the rule perhaps?

I agree with most of what the OP is saying but I don't think it's particularly insightful.

The obvious has been stated. Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 11:38 AM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

Same applies to men. There is a reason why GSP is a much bigger draw than Anderson and its not because he's better or more exciting. Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 11:48 AM
Vikingknee

He takes an obvious different path to attracting viewers Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 11:52 AM
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson's BBC in my Goku - Same applies to men. There is a reason why GSP is a much bigger draw than Anderson and its not because he's better or more exciting. Phone Post 3.0

Thats how it is in ife in general. Attractive people get more opportunities and make more more money (in general) then the res of us mooks.
5/5/13 12:03 PM
Ch1ef
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bad Monkey - 

Yes, attractive people are more marketable.

This goes for the men as well.

Thank you for making a FRAT about it though.

5/5/13 12:09 PM
OblongBox

Not sure about your claim about women having 1/4 the strength of men on average.
5/5/13 12:13 PM
Bad Monkey
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SnapLocally - "Yes, attractive people are more marketable.

He is the exception that proves the rule.

He is popular because he chose to play the average Joe rebeling against the man (Dana) and shows up looking like a hobo to antagonize which people like.  He is the Cactus Jack/Mankind of the UFC.  Nick Diaz also has taken a different path to be marketable and has been successful. I believe that both these fighters would be more marketable/popular/wealthy if they were blessed with striking looks as well.

There has been no marketing push behind Roy.  If he cleaned up his appearance he would be talked about in the title picture right now.

5/5/13 12:15 PM
shaqitup
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OblongBox - Not sure about your claim about women having 1/4 the strength of men on average.

yeah i don't think this is quite the case, especially if they're of equal size.

5/5/13 12:17 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Sex sells" is a fundemental marketing strategy. You see it in all sports.

Watch the NHL playoffs... where do you see the only ads that are exclusively aimed at women? In the penalty box where the "bad boys" go.

5/5/13 12:17 PM
Bad Monkey

56sav - It's not a question of whether attractive people are more marketable, it's whether that is enough to make up for the other obvious shortcomings.

They have other qualities that make up for their lack of comparable skill and athletisism.  

You won't see many boring WMMA fights.  Bitches be crazy, they're all heart and will fight to the death.  And sometimes when they wear spandex you can see their gooch.

5/5/13 12:18 PM
98lbweakling
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Women have measurably less cardio than men? Please cite the study you're referencing please. Phone Post
5/5/13 12:20 PM
GarlicSauce

In America, that's always been a woman's role: a piece of meat.
5/5/13 12:20 PM
Fattiecorpuscle
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

...I do... Phone Post
5/5/13 12:23 PM
RyannVonDoom

Yeah... No. Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 12:41 PM
rbl
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GarlicSauce - In America, that's always been a woman's role: a piece of meat.
America, unlike other countries?

And all fighters are pieces of meat to most fans. They're not paying to see bravery and technique, they want blood. Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 12:43 PM
Fattiecorpuscle
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Swedgen -

Picture of OP:

Lol so accurate Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.