UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Who do you think can beat Mayweather?

5/5/13 12:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Finally a UGer
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was kind of speaking with my dad about this and he said that no one today can beat him or at least yet. (Btw my dad isn't even really a Mayweather fan)

I don't think golden boy would have Canelo vs. Mayweather next because it seems like it can be way bigger in the future when Canelo gets a bigger name and a lot more money can be made and it would be more of a fit for Mayweather's final fight. Also I think it would be pretty cool for him to fight Danny Garcia but not yet.

So tell me who you think and some type of explanation! Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 12:14 PM
mclay
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Canelo...the money goes away if he loses. Just like Paq, you don't want to miss the money train!! Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 12:16 PM
Finally a UGer
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also I'd like to ask who do you guys think he will fight next! Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 12:16 PM
shaqitup
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

your dads analysis has me sold

5/5/13 12:18 PM
Silverball
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Father Time...
5/5/13 12:19 PM
David M
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mclay - Canelo...the money goes away if he loses. Just like Paq, you don't want to miss the money train!! Phone Post 3.0

A Manny ppv will still generate 1 million buys. His loses don't matter at this point in his stardom.
5/5/13 12:21 PM
Finally a UGer

David M -
mclay - Canelo...the money goes away if he loses. Just like Paq, you don't want to miss the money train!! Phone Post 3.0

A Manny ppv will still generate 1 million buys. His loses don't matter at this point in his stardom.
And that's what I meant by Canelo. Get his name big enough to that point because I don't think he's that much farther from it Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 12:27 PM
caposa
1557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/05/13 12:32 PM

Floyd would embarrass Canelo Alvarez. That fight isn't happening anyway. I love how Canelo never calls out anyone from his own weight class.

Mayweather still has plenty of people he can beat up at 147

So to answer the question, no one in the foreseeable future

5/5/13 12:37 PM
Periodik

Finally a UGer - I was kind of speaking with my dad about this and he said that no one today can beat him or at least yet. (Btw my dad isn't even really a Mayweather fan)

I don't think golden boy would have Canelo vs. Mayweather next because it seems like it can be way bigger in the future when Canelo gets a bigger name and a lot more money can be made and it would be more of a fit for Mayweather's final fight. Also I think it would be pretty cool for him to fight Danny Garcia but not yet.

I'll bite.
**Disclaimer-this is a long post, I'm bored at work**

Light Middleweight:

Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is the kid that most are pegging to defeat Floyd if they ever crossed paths. His dismantling of Shane Mosley, and relentless pace as a young champion would give Mayweather problems. He also showed in his victory over Trout that his defense is at an incredible level.

Sergio Martinez has not fought at 154 since 2009 but has stated multiple times that he would drop down to fight Mayweather. Not only would he bring a sizable weight advantage, he's also been praised with having the fastest lunging punches in boxing today.

Welterweight:

Manny Pacquiao, though being viciously knocked out in his last fight, still has the blistering speed and endurance to give Floyd fits. Manny would be the much smaller man in the ring, but unlike JMM, I don't think he would get sucked into Floyd's pace.

Timothy Bradley would probably be the least entertaining in a win over Floyd, though his last win over Provodnikov disproved the stigma that he's always a boring fight. While many disagreed with his win over Pacquiao, Bradley does have elite skills and the appropriate technique to topple Mayweather.

Light Welterweights:

Juan Manuel Marquez was dominated by Floyd during their fight. The only reason I'm putting him on this list is that as Chael Sonnen said, "Marquez has gone through puberty twice". Whether he's on some ped or trt remains to be seen, but no one can deny that his physique and power have improved. We'll see if it was only a one punch improvement, or if he's victorious over Bradley when they meet.

Danny Garcia doesn't have one area where he's fantastic. Floyd has speed and supreme defense, Canelo has combinations and relentless pace. Garcia though has power, and a scrappy style that gets him the W. Being the only Puerto Rican on the list(I'm from the island) I should be completely confident in his skills but I don't see him penetrating Floyd's shell. With that said Danny has proved me wrong before.

5/5/13 12:44 PM
Finally a UGer

Periodik -
Finally a UGer - I was kind of speaking with my dad about this and he said that no one today can beat him or at least yet. (Btw my dad isn't even really a Mayweather fan)

I'll bite.

Light Middleweight:

Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is the kid that most are pegging to defeat Floyd if they ever crossed paths. His dismantling of Shane Mosley, and relentless pace as a young champion would give Mayweather problems. He also showed in his victory over Trout that his defense is at an incredible level.

Sergio Martinez has not fought at 154 since 2009 but has stated multiple times that he would drop down to fight Mayweather. Not only would he bring a sizable weight advantage, he's also been praised with having the fastest lunging punches in boxing today.

Welterweight:

Manny Pacquiao, though being viciously knocked out in his last fight, still has the blistering speed and endurance to give Floyd fits. Manny would be the much smaller man in the ring, but unlike JMM, I don't think he would get sucked into Floyd's pace.

Timothy Bradley would probably be the least entertaining in a win over Floyd, though his last win over Provodnikov disproved the stigma that he's always a boring fight. While many disagreed with his win over Pacquiao, Bradley does have elite skills and the appropriate technique to topple Mayweather.

Light Welterweights:

Juan Manuel Marquez was dominated by Floyd during their fight. The only reason I'm putting him on this list is that as Chael Sonnen said, "Marquez has gone through puberty twice". Whether he's on some ped or trt remains to be seen, but no one can deny that his physique and power have improved. We'll see if it was only a one punch improvement, or if he's victorious over Bradley when they meet.

Danny Garcia doesn't have one area where he's fantastic. Floyd has speed and supreme defense, Canelo has combinations and relentless pace. Garcia though has power, and a scrappy style that gets him the W. Being the only Puerto Rican on the list(I'm from the island) I should be completely confident in his skills but I don't see him penetrating Floyd's shell. With that said Danny has proved me wrong before.

Thanks for the post! Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 12:58 PM
Periodik

Finally a UGer - 
Periodik -

I'll bite.

Light Middleweight:

Welterweight:

Light Welterweights:

Thanks for the post! Phone Post 3.0

Thanks, like I said I'm bored at work and have been pondering the same question in my head the past few years.

I wrote six names of current popular fighters who have well-known careers and would have a pretty damn good chance to dethrone Mayweather.

There's a bunch of other fighters out there that could drop down or go up in weight, even guys that are in Floyd's division, but none outside of those six have the name value to get a fight with floyd, nor the established credentials to pull a win over him.

That doesn't mean they can't, that just means they're not popular enough to get the chance or don't have the track record to convince people that they're able to.
5/5/13 1:05 PM
NJstileNJ
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nobody can or will beat him... Guerrero was literally swinging at air, by the time he was done with his punch mayweather was already behind him. He would do the same to everyone else. The closest fight would be with Sergio Martinez but I think Sergio is slowing down judging by his last fight and half. Canelo would get knocked out by mayweather as would Garcia. Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 1:13 PM
brahmabull81
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Periodik has a good list there but I would throw in Lucas Matthysse. Hes LWW but who gives a shit hes really growing into a great fighter.

Id still like to see the Pacquiao fight, maybe as both of their final fights here in the next year or two. Floyd's style would likely beat Pacmans but the pressure and actual dynamic use of the left hand would give Pac a chance in this fight for sure, even still.

Its too bad Lara has had a "meh" last year or two because his style would provide a fun, winnable fight against May.

And I know they might be undersized (right now) but Id like to see the winner of the eventual superfight between Broner and Gamboa possibly get the fight if they progress and grow into naturally larger frames over the next year or two.
5/5/13 1:16 PM
liamthomas

If Amir Khan could take a punch then I believe that would be a good fight Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 1:20 PM
hubris
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Floyd's defense was amazing after the second round

he found his riddum and started taking over. It's like Gurrero was completely lost after the second round was over.
5/5/13 1:24 PM
seriouslyilldothat

Periodik - 

I'll bite.

Light Middleweight:

Welterweight:

Light Welterweights:

Solid list! However the only of those I see with a real chance would be Canello or Pacquiao.
5/5/13 1:25 PM
hubris
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still want to see Sergio Martinez fight Floyd
5/5/13 1:28 PM
Finally a UGer

hubris - I still want to see Sergio Martinez fight Floyd
I really did too until after the Martin Murry fight. Murry won that IMO Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 1:32 PM
hubris

Finally a UGer - 
hubris - I still want to see Sergio Martinez fight Floyd
I really did too until after the Martin Murry fight. Murry won that IMO Phone Post 3.0

possibly but I still want to see Sergio vs Floyd

I think fighting back in Argentina in front of his family and friends and countrymen in the fucking rain messed with Sergio.
5/5/13 1:35 PM
RiskyMMA

A focused manny, martinez or canelo are the only ones I see having any real chance against mayweather.
5/5/13 1:37 PM
Finally a UGer

RiskyMMA - A focused manny, martinez or canelo are the only ones I see having any real chance against mayweather.
I like how you said focused. That does make the difference Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 1:38 PM
Finally a UGer

RiskyMMA - A focused manny, martinez or canelo are the only ones I see having any real chance against mayweather.
I like how you said focused. That does make the difference Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 1:48 PM
CompanyBlue

Doesn't really matter who we think could beat him because it's not the fight he would take anyways. He can make money no matter who he fights. He beat Rober Guerrero, nobody knew who he was and he still gets 32 million. C'mon robert guerrero. Floyd is no dummy,
5/5/13 1:54 PM
Finally a UGer

CompanyBlue - Doesn't really matter who we think could beat him because it's not the fight he would take anyways. He can make money no matter who he fights. He beat Rober Guerrero, nobody knew who he was and he still gets 32 million. C'mon robert guerrero. Floyd is no dummy,
People knew who Guerrero was. He beat Berto for #1 contendership Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 2:02 PM
Periodik

CompanyBlue - Doesn't really matter who we think could beat him because it's not the fight he would take anyways. He can make money no matter who he fights. He beat Rober Guerrero, nobody knew who he was and he still gets 32 million. C'mon robert guerrero. Floyd is no dummy,

Sadly, I have to agree with this. He proved he can make alot of money simply fighting a "just got out of prison warm-up" fight. Robert's biggest fight was an ugly war against Andre Berto. Even then he didn't get praise for being underestimated, but more of Berto being overestimated.

Floyd can make tons of money in rematch fights with Zab Judah who looked surprisingly good against Garcia, or JMM.

If he wants another belt he can take on Malignaggi if he gets past Broner. Or challenge Devon Alexander, though even though Devon doesn't have KO power, he is a tricky southpaw.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.