UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Discussion:Marvin HaglervRay Leonard (Full Fight)

5/5/13 8:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/06/13 7:20 PM

For the next of discussions in controversial fights, its Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs Sugar Ray Leonard.

There is alot of history with this fight as it was a heavily anticipated fight drawing Sugar Ray Leonard out of retirement for the bout. Instead of posting a giant essay and making you read it, i'll install HBO's Legendary Nights: Marvin Hagler v Ray Leonard on here as well. Legendary nights covers the background of the fighters, the fight, controversies of the fight and general history.

You can comment on the fight anytime if you want to discuss either fighter or the fight, as well as post your own score if you want to do that Wed. evening. I understand the Mayweather fight has haters and supporters excited, please keep that fight and any boxing v mma bs outside the thread. These threads are more so for the boxing enthusiast or anyone who wants to catch some old/controversial fights as well as classics. Fighters from the Carmen Basilio/Tony DeMarco days will be brought up as well.

Join in.

*edited* - Rescore discussion will be Wed @ 7pm (PST), you can always post a score at anytime or your winner if you want it to be added to the thread stats that will be made as to who felt who won the fight.

5/5/13 8:55 PM
SubbedZER0
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Legendary Nights : Marvin Hagler v Sugar Ray Leonard (Ignore YouTuber who put Thomas Hagler lol)

5/5/13 8:56 PM
SubbedZER0

Full Fight: Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs Sugar Ray Leonard

5/5/13 8:56 PM
crowbar
751 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I`ll chime in & say that I was a bigtime Sugar Ray fan at the time and thought that he won.After watching it again,again & again...I had Haglar winning.

5/5/13 9:04 PM
Kostakio
504 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hagler is still mad about that fight. I kid you not. It's like it happened yesterday for him. Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 9:10 PM
SubbedZER0

Edited: 05/05/13 9:10 PM
Kostakio - Hagler is still mad about that fight. I kid you not. It's like it happened yesterday for him. Phone Post 3.0

He def took alot of pride in being considered the best. Took a long time for him to get his recognition as a great champion and all. Was an important fight for him and with how passionate he was....

he mad.

5/5/13 9:26 PM
Barry_BondsMVP
867 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in

5/5/13 9:36 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In

5/5/13 9:51 PM
Winston Wolf
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leanord clearly won IMO Hit and not be hit
5/5/13 10:02 PM
Sadyv
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winston Wolf - Leanord clearly won IMO Hit and not be hit

Thing is, he did get hit, but people weren't paying attention to what Marvin was doing, they were wrapped up in Sugar's flash and quick pitter pat slaps.

The real victor in this fight was Sugar Ray's management team, who went after Marvin when he was clearly past his prime and slowing down, and got everything they wanted (fight time, ring size, etc.) in the negotiations.

Leonard was great at playing people, and the Duran rematch and the Hagler fight are the two best examples.
5/5/13 10:55 PM
allforroy
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub. What a time. Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 11:03 PM
markus
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sugar ray won the fight. left jab, circle outside, stand in the pocket - jab cross, or hook cross combo, then circle outside again.

hagler needed to pin ray on the ropes or the corner and inside clinch fight. its what he does best. (like forman vs. ali)

hagler only hit ray when he would stand in the pocket, never touched him when he would jab and circle.

ray won that fight with the jab and circle boxing, and with when he would stand in the pocket about 6 times per round and exchange a 1-2 combo with hagler, and hagler exchanged back. but hagler could not touch ray when he jabbed and circled.

ray would of lost that fight if he did not stand in the pocket 6 times per round- and only ran with the jab and circle. or if hagler pinned him on the ropes, hagler would of knocked him out

one of the best examples of outside boxing and inside clinch fighting.

hagler was the better inside fighter, but he just did not cut the ring off enough on ray. when hagler did pin ray on the ropes your could hear dundee going crazy yelling get off the ropes. because it was all bad for ray.
5/5/13 11:04 PM
ANT_P1989
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In.

Love these threads. Phone Post
5/5/13 11:11 PM
Silverball
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sadyv - 

Thing is, he did get hit, but people weren't paying attention to what Marvin was doing, they were wrapped up in Sugar's flash and quick pitter pat slaps.

The real victor in this fight was Sugar Ray's management team, who went after Marvin when he was clearly past his prime and slowing down, and got everything they wanted (fight time, ring size, etc.) in the negotiations.

Leonard was great at playing people, and the Duran rematch and the Hagler fight are the two best examples.

This guy knows of what he speaks.
5/6/13 12:15 AM
Bucephalus

Haglar may have won the "fight" but Sugar Ray won the boxing match.

And considering that they were competing in a boxing match for the championship... the right man walked home with the belt.
5/6/13 12:19 AM
DAVID H
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silverball - 
Sadyv - 

This guy knows of what he speaks.

You are both correct....
5/6/13 12:19 AM
AliBomaye

Tiresias - Leonard: He told me to fight like a man, to stop being a bitch.
I shook my head "noooooo".

That tells it right there. Leonard admits that he employed a cheeseball strategy. He cheapened the sport and tarnished the legend of a man with greater heart. Fuck him.
Or he did what he needed to win Phone Post
5/6/13 12:24 AM
rorymcd
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sadyv - 

I agree 100%, came to post something similar. I never cared for Leonard's and I think he conned the judges into thinking he won this fight with a dog and pony show while doing everything humanly possible to avoid fighting.
5/6/13 12:28 AM
rorymcd
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/06/13 12:29 AM
I'm not a Leonard fan, but the most legit thing he ever did was defeat a prime Tommy Hearns. I feel like Sadyv is dead on correct, Sugar Ray played Duran and Hagler, but his win over Hearns was gritty as hell.
5/6/13 12:35 AM
JRockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub, great fight. Phone Post
5/6/13 1:03 AM
ChimpFL
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every single time I have watched this fight and scored it I have Hagler winning, which is at least ten times. The crowd went apeshit every time Ray threw a slap. Also, Hearns was fucking robbed in the second fight with Leonard.
5/6/13 2:04 AM
haglerhearnsfan

History would of been changed if Hagler did not demand that Harry Gibbs be replaced with the incompetent JoJo Guerra
Gibbs scored the fight at home for Hagler while Guerra scored the fight 118-110 for Leonard
5/6/13 2:09 AM
MRG1
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub

5/6/13 2:23 AM
ChimpFL

118-110 is a fucking disgrace.
5/6/13 3:18 AM
SgtJustinTeplitz
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had Sugar Ray winning a close fight. Thanks for posting the video!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.