UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cormier plans to stay at heavyweight for now

5/5/13 8:57 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1069 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

At 5'10", Daniel Cormier is short for a UFC heavyweight, but that hasn't stopped him being a perfect 12-0 in his mixed martial arts career and recently defeating former champion Frank Mir. There has been a lot of talk on whether not Cormier should work his way to the lightheavyweight division, but the thing you can't argue against is winning.

The bigger reason that Cormier may start working his way lower in weight is to avoid a clash with team mate Cain Velasquez who is the current UFC heavyweight champion. As he's not quite at a title shot, it looks as though Cormier will stay in the heavyweight division for now:

While a move to 205 pounds still seems likely for Cormier's future, it appears that he will be sticking around at heavyweight for at least another fight or two.

"I always thought if I were to go down, I would need a lot of time to do it.  I think that still applies, but I would like to still fight," Cormier told Bleacher Report.   "At the end of the day I can't cut massive amounts of weight.  That's well-documented from my problems in the Olympic games.  But I can diet, and when I'm dieting I can still fight.  Can I fight at 205? No.  Because it's too much weight to cut in a short period of time.  But could I fight a heavyweight fight and just be a little lighter? I think so."

The plan for Cormier right now is to book his next fight at heavyweight while he's making the transition down to the smaller weight class.  The key, according to the former Olympian, is to cut the weight slowly but surely without sacrificing too much time inside the cage.

"Yeah because it keeps me busy, I'm still getting to fight and still gaining experience," Cormier said about staying at heavyweight for now.  "At the end of the day, I'm still very early in my career."

read entire article... 

5/5/13 8:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
inf0
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ Cormier or Roy talking about 205.. might as well talk about 155.. lol

5/5/13 9:05 PM
Radio Raheem
1325 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Things will get very interesting if he finds himself in direct title contention. Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 9:08 PM
epic hero
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

big_roy_fan - after watching jones destroy sonnen in less than 1 round, daniel cormier has decided he'll stay at heavyweight

Ya because I'm sure he was so surprised
5/5/13 9:14 PM
Logan Stantons finger
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's getting kinda silly at this point for him to say "it's dangerous for me to cut down to light heavy".

What?

He weighs 235, with a considerable amount of body fat. What the fuck does he need time for? He can loose 20 pounds in 2 or 3 months by managing his diet. And then cut the water weight.

Sounds to me like he just doesn't want to stop eating the shit food. Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 9:14 PM
donkey guard
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Baconator 1
Cormier 0 Phone Post
5/5/13 9:17 PM
Kick Boxe
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he'll go down after roy knocks him out

5/5/13 9:24 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I guess Cormier will kill off a couple contenders at HW and then move down? Phone Post 3.0
5/5/13 9:45 PM
diaz 125

absolutely no reason to go down.
5/5/13 9:50 PM
Winston Wolf

he knows the weight cut gunna suck and be tough
5/5/13 9:53 PM
ChaosOverkill
462 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/05/13 9:53 PM
Old Thrashbarg - 
inf0 -

What? Why? They could make 205. And no, it's not the same as them making 155.

I "lol" at you. Phone Post

because the time it would take to actually do it is weighed against the loss of wages for that time.  I see both guys deciding against it until they have to

5/6/13 6:07 PM
SQUEEZIE

ChaosOverkill - 
Old Thrashbarg - 
inf0 -

What? Why? They could make 205. And no, it's not the same as them making 155.

I "lol" at you. Phone Post

because the time it would take to actually do it is weighed against the loss of wages for that time.  I see both guys deciding against it until they have to

exactly and no matter what they say i wont believe it tel i see it. they can not make 205...or they would.

off topic- no way andy can still make 170...his sheep are fooling them selves.(actually andy is fooling them)
5/6/13 8:32 PM
HereticMMA

It seems like a lot of people posting in this thread only read the title and not the article.

Cormier has not said he is staying at Heavyweight, what he did say was that in order to make 205, he would have to diet over a long period of time. During that time, he said he would like to take some heavyweight fights as he diets down to 205.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.