UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Duffee on hiatus from UFC: "It was a nightmare"

5/5/13 11:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ed Kapp
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://aboveandbeyondmma.com/?p=462

"It was a nightmare every day," Todd Duffee says when asked how it felt to be on the outside looking in at the UFC. "It was sickening. It was very depressing. It was a giant … oh, I need to find new terminology to describe this. It was a giant mind-fuck. I don’t know how else to put it. You see guys that you’re better than fighting in the UFC, you see guys you’re friends and training partners are saying you’re better than fighting in the UFC. I felt really stupid. I genuinely just felt like an idiot. Everybody was telling me I had all this talent but I was never going to be back in the UFC, it’s over. Obviously, I couldn’t let it go. I still believed I had a shot. I still knew how good I am. I’m extensively training with seven of the top 10 guys right now. I have a pretty good idea of where I stand. And I don’t think I’d continue to be willing to make the sacrifices if I didn’t believe I have what it takes to be one of the best. If not the best. It was terrible, dude. It hurt my career. You want to talk about a bad attitude? I definitely developed a bad attitude during that time period. For about nine months, a year, I was hard to be around. I felt bad for the guys at Grudge. I wasn’t positive. I was just grinding through my workouts. There was one point where I would drive to AKA, check my bank account and I would just walk in the gym with tears in my eyes. DC [Daniel Cormier] would come up to me, “Are you alright, dude?” This was because I felt like such an idiot. I should’ve been out getting my college education, going to work. All my friends are finishing up their doctorates — they’re doing all this great stuff that I should be doing. Instead, I’m out here being dumb. Has it paid off now? Yes. I could’ve approached it a lot differently and maybe I’d still be in the same spot. You don’t know. I could’ve gotten here sooner, for all we know. I guess the best way to describe it was that I felt really stupid."

5/5/13 11:39 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Training with 7 of the top 10 guys?

No way possible.

Also that would not be wise as clearly not a one in the top 10 would wish to give future opponents such an advantage.

What gym has 7 of the top 10 heavyweights?

Must be a heck of a gym. Phone Post
5/5/13 11:45 PM
JOESONDO
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When is his next fight? I'd love to see him fight meathead or Lavar Johnson (if he wasn't suspended)
5/5/13 11:48 PM
Koga
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JeffersonDArcyChoke, 7/10 may be an exageration but name a gym with more top heavyweights than AKA.
5/5/13 11:55 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JeffersonDArcyChoke - Training with 7 of the top 10 guys?

No way possible.

Also that would not be wise as clearly not a one in the top 10 would wish to give future opponents such an advantage.

He didn't say heavyweights Phone Post
5/5/13 11:58 PM
Choochy
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -

No way possible.

Shhhhh Phone Post
5/5/13 11:58 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shouldhavebeen -
Koga - JeffersonDArcyChoke, 7/10 may be an exageration but name a gym with more top heavyweights than AKA.

Indeed, he is in a very good place with not just a bunch of top HWs but other weight classes as well
He isn't sparring guys in different weight classes.

AKA is loaded but they don't have 7 top 10 heavyweights.

A heavyweight at Tri-Star is in a gym with GSP but I fail to see how that makes him better since there is no way they are actually training together.

Now, getting the same quality instruction?

Ok. THAT is representative of great COACHING and not who you train with.

So, the right answer is he is getting great coaching and training with some really good fighters.

No need for hyperbole.

Which is why being humble would be far better than a bitter guy railing on about how it sucked knowing he was better than guys in the UFC.

That's all. Phone Post
5/5/13 11:59 PM
JeffersonDArcyChoke

For those who said he didn't say heavyweights; his quote was that he is "extensively training with 7 of the top 10 guys".

Ok.

So it's 7 of the top 10 POUND FOR POUND?

That's an even better gym than one with 7 top heavyweights. Phone Post
5/6/13 12:00 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke

Let me know which gym has 7 of the top 10 pound for pound guys all training together under the same coaches and I'll buy you a blue name or extend the one you've got. Phone Post
5/6/13 12:02 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Choochy -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -

No way possible.

Shhhhh Phone Post
He also never said he was just training at AKA Phone Post
5/6/13 12:03 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

JeffersonDArcyChoke - Let me know which gym has 7 of the top 10 pound for pound guys all training together under the same coaches and I'll buy you a blue name or extend the one you've got. Phone Post
You may be over thinking this Phone Post
5/6/13 12:04 AM
vRuthless
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JOESONDO - When is his next fight? I'd love to see him fight meathead or Lavar Johnson (if he wasn't suspended)
I think Lavar got released after his suspension Phone Post
5/6/13 12:08 AM
MasterofMartialArts
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
JeffersonDArcyChoke - Let me know which gym has 7 of the top 10 pound for pound guys all training together under the same coaches and I'll buy you a blue name or extend the one you've got. Phone Post
He's probably just saying he's training with high level and just exaggerated. Phone Post 3.0
5/6/13 12:13 AM
MediumRareMistake
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol

5/6/13 12:33 AM
epwar
605 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JOESONDO - When is his next fight? I'd love to see him fight meathead or Lavar Johnson (if he wasn't suspended)

Sadly, they cut Lavar Johnson (for doing something they rewarded Chael Sonnen for).

5/6/13 1:21 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
epwar - 
JOESONDO - When is his next fight? I'd love to see him fight meathead or Lavar Johnson (if he wasn't suspended)

Sadly, they cut Lavar Johnson (for doing something they rewarded Chael Sonnen for).

Johnson was flagged for elevated testo levels and he is suspended until november.
5/6/13 1:27 AM
RyannVonDoom

7 of the Top 10, was poorly written.. and he embellished a little. If he includes himself they have 6 members that are in the top 10 of their respective divisions. 

5/6/13 1:29 AM
ausgepicht

MasterofMartialArts -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
He's probably just saying he's training with high level and just exaggerated. Phone Post 3.0
Exactly. It's called hyperbole to make a point. And there are PLENTY of LHWs that can offer Duffee some solid drilling and sparring. Shit, some of them walk around between fights as a heavy. Shit some more: some Middleweights walk around as a heavyweight. Someone like Andy can give someone in any weight class, plenty fo sparring.

Regardless, I guess if you've never trained you may think people get together, warm up and then spar 100%. Not true. Phone Post
5/6/13 1:37 AM
Barbalos

ausgepicht - 
MasterofMartialArts -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
Exactly. It's called hyperbole to make a point. And there are PLENTY of LHWs that can offer Duffee some solid drilling and sparring. Shit, some of them walk around between fights as a heavy. Shit some more: some Middleweights walk around as a heavyweight. Someone like Andy can give someone in any weight class, plenty fo sparring.

Regardless, I guess if you've never trained you may think people get together, warm up and then spar 100%. Not true. Phone Post

You can't spar someone if they aren't in your weightclass, not unless they're p4p top 10!!1!

I dunno about the OT, Duffee deserved what he got, getting caught up in his own hype, I hope he keeps things more level this time.
5/6/13 1:41 AM
RyannVonDoom

Barbalos - 
ausgepicht - 
MasterofMartialArts -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -

You can't spar someone if they aren't in your weightclass, not unless they're p4p top 10!!1!

I dunno about the OT, Duffee deserved what he got, getting caught up in his own hype, I hope he keeps things more level this time.

I'm sorry, he deserved what he got? Really? Can you please enlighten us as to what happened to get him cut in the first place? Since you had a wire tap and heard the conversations Todd had with Zuffa and others, can you please let us all know exactly how it went to his head also? Thanks.

5/6/13 3:08 AM
CindyO

I LOVE me some Todd Duffee and wish him the best!!!

Cindy

5/6/13 4:00 AM
MisterFixit
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

Underthinking, imo.
5/6/13 7:08 AM
bearockbrobama
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No way possible.

I thought it was a grammatical error.

Seven, top ten guys Phone Post
5/6/13 8:05 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Maybe he mis-spoke by a word. You're arguing semantics. Phone Post
5/6/13 8:23 AM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You always spar with people in different weight classes in training. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.