UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Female fighters: Fan sexism kinda sucks

5/6/13 1:17 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

This video of Cat Zingano warming up at the TUF 17 Open Workouts video got 43,000 views, and rising:

This one of Tate and Zingano actually training at TUF 17 Open Workouts got 4,500.

"It kind of sucks," said Zingano. "My warm-up is something that's very calculated, something that I do a few times a day. To look at it the way it was portrayed in that video was strange."

You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing, or a social scientist to know why the first video will end up with 10 times the views of the second.

MMAJunkie's Ben Fowlkes recently reminded male fans that despite the growth of MMA, when you solely focus on a female fighter being hot, she may well notice, and may well not appreciate it.

Many female fans feel no shame in ogling Georges St-Pierre (you think he's the "pay-per-view king" because his fights are all so thrilling?). So why shouldn't an intelligent, knowledgable, respectful fight fan... be able to appreciate, simultaneously, the talent and the aesthetic appeal of female fighters?

If you actually care about the sport of women's MMA rather than just the sports bras, it's worth considering what it's like on the other side of that equation.

Take Zingano, for instance, who never asked for anyone to shoot a video of her stretching routine and make it into its own Internet curiosity... Even after she and Tate nabbed a "Fight of the Night" bonus for their three-round battle, the next morning you could still find fans on the Internet debating their looks, watching videos of them stretching, all that.

"I thought it was a good fight for people to see what women can bring to the Octagon," Zingano said. "So it is kind of disappointing to go on and see what people thought of my fight and just see a bunch of unrelated, sexist things. It's like, 'Oh. OK. Never mind then.'

"You don't see fans saying the same things about guy fighters, but that's because it's usually guys talking about this sport. Male fighters don't look and see a bunch of people talking about his pecs or how rounded his ass is or if they can see his jockstrap lines through his shorts."

As Sara McMann pointed out, it's not that meaningful for a female fighter to be lusted after by a bunch of half-drunk dudes out in the darkness.

"Guys wanting to hook up with you is probably the lowest form of compliment a guy can give you," McMann said. "It really is. That's the bare minimum of saying something positive. If they say you're intelligent, if they say they respect you, if they say you're a great athlete, that is so much more meaningful in a male-dominated sport than saying, ‘Yeah, she looks hot.'"

That might be tough for some men to understand, since we're not so accustomed to strangers commenting on our looks. It's just not as much a part of our lives (unless you happen to be GSP). And when it does happen, it's more likely to happen in an appropriate, expected setting, like when we're out actively trying to meet people who might like (or at least not totally hate) the way we look.

Female fighters? They're at work. They suffered and sacrificed because they wanted to compete, not because they wanted to look good in a pair of tight shorts. As Julie Kedzie put it, "I like compliments...but I'm not looking to get laid through my fights. I just like the sport."

Read entire article...

Male fans and female fighters alike have that in common - we all like the sport, passionately. That should be enough to remind fans that when you post something lurid about a female fighter, she may read it, and it may feel creepy.

5/6/13 1:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AbbottMary
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree but i doubt it will never change so if you're a female fighter either A. be really, really badass so you don't have to deal with the sexism B. ignore it. or C. give in to it and market yourself like a ring girl who steps into the cage from time to time.
5/6/13 1:39 PM
Rob San Soo
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

43,002 lol Phone Post 3.0
5/6/13 1:42 PM
KingInFishnetsBottomingBetas
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Delahoya got by on his looks, and sex appeal. GSP gets a pass for his boring fights because of his sex appeal as well. People love to see good looking people succeed for some reason, and if people find her attractive, that can only be a good thing. I don't know anyone watching the wnba, compliment an incredible lay up or cross over, it just doesn't happen.

She should embrace her sex appeal, that'll make her more money than showing skilly in a fight.
5/6/13 1:44 PM
Lobo8

I respect the skills and abilities of good female fighters and think they deliver great fights. BUT I am also a man to and cannot not deny that their is a sexy factor about seeing women grapple and fight with each other. Whatever, its not than big of a deal, tons of chick fight fans sexualize the male fighters too. Their just not quite as vocal as male fans are.
5/6/13 1:45 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
Lol.
5/6/13 1:52 PM
Rearnakedwaffle
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I won't masturbate until they release the same video of GSP.
5/6/13 1:54 PM
Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Male fans commenting on female fighters attractiveness is something that will never go away.

However, there are fans (like me) that appreciate the fighters for how they fight. Don't get me wrong, I find Ronda Rousey attractive, but the reason I am a fan of hers and love watching her fight is because of how talented she is and how gifted an athlete she is.

If a women is attractive, 9 out of 10 times it will be the first thing a man will comment on, regardless of their occupation because it is the first thing they notice.

True fans of WMMA who really care and appreciate what these women do will be able to get past the whole "She's hot!" or "She's ugly!" phase and support them because of their ability and performances and not their bra size or how their ass looks in a particular pair of shorts... Phone Post
5/6/13 1:55 PM
chaplinshouse
730 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

men's looks get picked apart all the time.  she clearly is no ug'er.  

i love it when people sign up to be on a high profile stage then say "don't look at me!" 

5/6/13 1:57 PM
crowbar
742 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ladies,

Being attractive is just a bonus for this kid.

5/6/13 2:01 PM
Munk

Does it take a warm-up to make a sammich?
5/6/13 2:02 PM
JOESONDO
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Men will always judge women by how they look to a certain extent. It happens in offices and other workplaces, you better believe it will happen in a spectator sport.
5/6/13 2:06 PM
markiz

Almost 44,5 K. It's almost 10k up since earlier today, meanwhile the other video still stands at 4,5 k (which is weird, cuz there are some good shots of Miesha's ass in action).
5/6/13 2:11 PM
GarlicSauce

Um, maybe those women should wear less revealing clothing? They're practically naked. Men are visual, and we are instantly aroused by attractive females who show skin. That's known by all.

The more you cover, the less you'll energize random shafts.
5/6/13 2:16 PM
markiz

sporty burkas
5/6/13 2:17 PM
Kentpaul
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sex appeal sells for both men and women so if you are considered hot why not market yourself that way
5/6/13 2:19 PM
thatdude21601
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where is the hottest fighter thread? It's all Chris Spang and Patrick Cote, and very little WMMA.
5/6/13 2:27 PM
pampered_fighter

Cry me a fucking river!! When you are in the spotlight that is what you deal with, get over it.
5/6/13 2:41 PM
snobordr
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So stretch in a rashguard and boardshorts next time, instead of a sports-bra and tiny spandex shorts?

5/6/13 2:47 PM
New Leaf 1.0

"look at me trying to look sexy in my tiny top and skin tight pink shorts, but only look at me because of my fighting ability."
5/6/13 2:54 PM
Big Pun
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is a demographic dominated by male fans. Time to get thicker skin because I doubt the demographic will be drastically changing just because the UFC added a women's division. Right or wrong, doesn't really matter. It will not be changing. I bet most of the people watching the stretching vids aren't even mma fans.
5/6/13 2:55 PM
Big Pun
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh I forgot to mention something about a sammich
5/6/13 2:58 PM
JNM

Obviously, she doesn't frequent the UG. This place is full of romo.

She does have a pretty stellar ass.
sacredhate
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How about these vids of GSP...bet he'd be happier if they didn't exist and people respected him just for being a fighter:

http://www.break.com/web-user-yt/12-14-2012/is-gsp-gay-2396190

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSpAVtabzaY
Yun
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well... would u rather watch NBA or WNBA? i would only watch WNBA if there was some freakish player that plays like lebron but a girl. other than that, its complete waste of my time.

Kind of feel the same way about male fighter vs female fighters. I do appreciate the heart and grind they put in but I'd spend that time of my life watching more faster and stronger ppl compete than slow and weaker people compete. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.