UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Female fighters: Fan sexism kinda sucks

5/6/13 11:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Scramslam
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its like chicks who walk around in rape pants and a tight shirt with no bra, and then give you a dirty look when you stare at them.

What the hell do they expect?
5/7/13 12:17 AM
Argo

Most of those hits are probably from the Liz Carmouche fans.
5/7/13 12:28 AM
CDarwin
743 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/7/13 12:42 AM
sekundarburnes

poor GSP..
5/7/13 12:49 AM
bamx2
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/07/13 12:50 AM

Women logic!

5/7/13 1:00 AM
Johnny Tightlips
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I ogled gsp once. Phone Post
5/7/13 1:05 AM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL. They know they are selling sex appeal (or else we'd only watch the men). When they cry about "sexism", which is this case simply means the way the world works, i.e., woman shows her ass, man looks, they will get even more attention.

IOW, y'all noobs gettin' trolled.
5/7/13 1:29 AM
smoogy
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 
New Leaf 1.0 - "look at me trying to look sexy in my tiny top and skin tight pink shorts, but only look at me because of my fighting ability."

Voted you up, too. Can't believe some of the shit fighters (male and female) spew sometimes. Put on some dayum clothes or shutup about people looking at your body. They're not trying to make weight at the open workouts so it doesn't matter what they're wearing.

And S-R-R-R-R-E-T-C-H-H-H-Hing with your boobs out in something so tight folks can read your lips isn't something you do and then turn around and whine about later. Most (if not all) know exactly what they're doing so GTFO with the "fan sexism kinda sucks!" It must not suck enough to put some clothes on, IMO, for those who choose not to yet wanna whine.

Cindy

Now I'm kind of curious to see what kind of 1920s bathing suit style outfit Cindy would have female fighters wear as a concession to her asinine belief that showing skin in an athletic setting proves a conscious effort to be objectified sexually. Seems like a sports bra style top and short spandex shorts is a perfectly sensible choice of attire.

5/7/13 1:37 AM
Evilzpet

She'll get over when the money rolls in.

5/7/13 2:49 AM
THP

She's right, there's a bias there. However, she's a tiny bit misguided by her interpretations of the data. Of course women are more objectified than men in MMA. More men watch MMA than women watch MMA. Plenty of women objectify men such as George St. Pierre or Jon Jones; hell, Christy Alley did it out in the open on a late night talk show. Additionally, there are plenty of muscle and fitness, fighters only, superduper body magazines out there featuring male fighters oiled up and with a pump. Fighters like Roy Nelson are constantly criticized on their bodies, but instead of fighting it he decides to own it.

I don't completely doubt her assessment. Women have always had their physical features valued and I doubt that's ever going to change. I do think she's misunderstanding the why of it all though.
5/7/13 9:00 AM
Rox19
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mozkonoh - "Fan sexism sucks!"

"Ooh, look how good my ass looks in these panties. Oh my, does this push-up bra makes my boobs look too big? Here, let me stick my ass out for the cameras at the weight-ins."

"God, why do these men view me as a sex object? I want them to respect me for my fighting skills."
You have a good point. It's a double edged sword. The bottom line is, in this day and age, beautiful fighters are getting better opportunities. Phone Post
5/7/13 9:20 AM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dat ass! Phone Post
5/7/13 9:27 AM
Phil999

snobordr - 

So stretch in a rashguard and boardshorts next time, instead of a sports-bra and tiny spandex shorts?

5/7/13 9:29 AM
Phil999

Kirik - 

The point is not that you shouldn't be attracted to attractive female fighters. The point it is not the first thing you should talk about.

It is true in both directions. I know a lot of women who like looking at GSP. But after a fight was over, if all they were talking about was how hot his ass in tight shorts is, it would be pretty annoying.

Does that make sense?

What else do you think the women talk about when there are no other men around? The men's fighting skills?

5/7/13 10:42 AM
Diesel67
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/07/13 10:42 AM

If Brittney Griner comes to NY I'd pay to see her vs the Liberty.  Too bad the Liberty won't get her; she's the No.1 WNBA draft pick.

5/7/13 11:12 AM
Yussarian
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can't complain about something that put WMMA on the map. There were plenty of talented fighters before RR came along. But it took a talented fighter and the looks of that talented fighter to make WMMA marketable. Just an observation.
5/7/13 11:28 AM
Chulio
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you spend 10 times the minutes posing for magazines than fighting you will bring it on.

I like WMMA but I knew this side of it was going to change things.
5/7/13 12:54 PM
ender852
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rox19 -
Mozkonoh - "Fan sexism sucks!"

"Ooh, look how good my ass looks in these panties. Oh my, does this push-up bra makes my boobs look too big? Here, let me stick my ass out for the cameras at the weight-ins."

"God, why do these men view me as a sex object? I want them to respect me for my fighting skills."
You have a good point. It's a double edged sword. The bottom line is, in this day and age, beautiful fighters are getting better opportunities. Phone Post
I think this is true for men too, good looking men get more sponsors and it is easier for them to get big fights. Phone Post
5/7/13 1:41 PM
PlayerHatersBall

Hey lady...I like the way your body looks! - Lenny ( the Simpsons) Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 4:40 PM
Rox19
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/07/13 4:41 PM
Phil999 - 
Kirik - 

The point is not that you shouldn't be attracted to attractive female fighters. The point it is not the first thing you should talk about.

It is true in both directions. I know a lot of women who like looking at GSP. But after a fight was over, if all they were talking about was how hot his ass in tight shorts is, it would be pretty annoying.

Does that make sense?

What else do you think the women talk about when there are no other men around? The men's fighting skills?

Yes, fighting skills. Okay, somewhat looks, but more than half the time, fighting skills. :P But if I had the chance to talk to the guy, I'd say something like "I was impressed with your striking" rather than like "Hey, I saw your fight! Nice pecs, Sugar-buns!"

lol

Also, everyone is different. My feelings are different than other female fighters, so we can't say EVERYONE likes or dislikes being looked at. Not everyone wears push up bras, but some girls like it. Everyone's different.
5/7/13 4:49 PM
FunDeath4u

What if before the girls fought they just started making out like crazy at the stare down... ?.... Anyone else? Just me? ok.... nm.
5/7/13 6:24 PM
othree
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sex sells. With western society the way it is today, I'm not sure why anyone would expect differently. It will take decades to reverse the social engineering the different forms of media has actively engaged in.

5/7/13 6:35 PM
Rhetorical
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FunDeath4u - What if before the girls fought they just started making out like crazy at the stare down... ?.... Anyone else? Just me? ok.... nm.

Haha
5/7/13 7:39 PM
MapiCat

Mozkonoh - "Fan sexism sucks!"

I got into this argument earlier this morning regarding my comments on Rousey doing another nude photo shoot (http://mapicatmma.blogspot.ca/2013/05/the-face-of-womens-mma-ronda-rousey.html)
The problem is exactly what you say... there are many female fighters who want nothing to do with using sex appeal to publicize themselves or further their careers. And then there are women like Ronda Rousey who use it for all it's worth, and they ruin it for the sport.
In my opinion, female fighters need to stop doing shit like that - nude or racy photo shoots, controversial interviews, etc., or anything else damaging to their image as serious athletes - if they ever want to be seen as equal to men's MMA.
Female fighters will never be taken seriously if they continue to sexualize themselves or the sport.
5/8/13 12:09 AM
othree
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MapiCat - 
Mozkonoh - "Fan sexism sucks!"

I got into this argument earlier this morning regarding my comments on Rousey doing another nude photo shoot (http://mapicatmma.blogspot.ca/2013/05/the-face-of-womens-mma-ronda-rousey.html)
The problem is exactly what you say... there are many female fighters who want nothing to do with using sex appeal to publicize themselves or further their careers. And then there are women like Ronda Rousey who use it for all it's worth, and they ruin it for the sport.
In my opinion, female fighters need to stop doing shit like that - nude or racy photo shoots, controversial interviews, etc., or anything else damaging to their image as serious athletes - if they ever want to be seen as equal to men's MMA.
Female fighters will never be taken seriously if they continue to sexualize themselves or the sport.

I completely diasgree. Sex sells. Women's sporting events have historically never been anywhere near as popular as mens. People in general should use every single tool they have in order to sell themselves, so long as they are not violating any personal morals; which will differ in each individual. If not for the sexiness of some of the female fighters we're lucky enough to get to see compete, I highly doubt female MMA would be in the UFC right now.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.