UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> be careful helwani

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/6/13 1:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
irishrottie
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

instigating things with diaz and gsp is all fun and games but dont touch a subject you dont know about. 

just stop with the mcgregor vs parke hype, you need to be more professional in dealing with this topic.

5/6/13 1:33 PM
Gilbosh
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Helwani is an asset to the MMA world, personally I love listening to the MMA hour whilst at work, the guy has passion & isn't afraid to say how he feels. Yes he has an ego, but who cares, he's bloody good at what he does. His interviews are fantastic and half the stories you read during the week where the product of his interviews.

Every week he delivers nearly 4 hours of MMA talk that is not only approachable for avid MMA fans but also fans who are new to the sport.

Give the guy some slack, he's doing a job most of us envy and he does it well.
5/6/13 1:37 PM
irishrottie
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i love his work but im just saying, he should stay off this topic.

5/6/13 1:42 PM
Jack Skellington
904 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i like Ariel

5/6/13 1:44 PM
SMACDADDY
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Backstory? Phone Post
5/6/13 1:44 PM
BigSleep
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

irishrottie - 

i love his work but im just saying, he should stay off this topic.

why?
5/6/13 1:49 PM
irishrottie

SMACDADDY -  Backstory? Phone Post

McGregor, during his last MMAHOUR appearance said a fight between himself and Norman would be good as they came up together.

Ariel poked the fire and started discussing flags. Conor said simply - if he considers himself british, he should tell people who call him irish they are wrong.

Norman was on the MMAHOUR today, as per usual Ariel plays him this to start a drama. Norman was given the wrong impression of Conors intentions and Ariel once again poked the fire. Norman handled himself with class, was excellent in discussing the topic. But Ariel brought religion, flags and countries into the equation when it was not necessary. I dont think Ariel should be flamed for it, but it was something you shouldnt delve into if you are not educated on the topic.

5/6/13 1:56 PM
Gilbosh
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

irishrottie - 

McGregor, during his last MMAHOUR appearance said a fight between himself and Norman would be good as they came up together.

Ariel poked the fire and started discussing flags. Conor said simply - if he considers himself british, he should tell people who call him irish they are wrong.

Norman was on the MMAHOUR today, as per usual Ariel plays him this to start a drama. Norman was given the wrong impression of Conors intentions and Ariel once again poked the fire. Norman handled himself with class, was excellent in discussing the topic. But Ariel brought religion, flags and countries into the equation when it was not necessary. I dont think Ariel should be flamed for it, but it was something you shouldnt delve into if you are not educated on the topic.

It's this kind of sensitivity towards a subject that causes problems in the first place, how about you just look at it as 'Banter'? See.. no harm done huh? Sigh...Why sooo serious.
5/6/13 2:05 PM
painfulapathy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why so serious? Do you realise how many lives have been lost over this subject? Phone Post 3.0
5/6/13 2:06 PM
irishrottie

Gilbosh - 
irishrottie - 

It's this kind of sensitivity towards a subject that causes problems in the first place, how about you just look at it as 'Banter'? See.. no harm done huh? Sigh...Why sooo serious.

its not banter.

5/6/13 2:10 PM
Son of Neckbone
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the Helwani hate is unwarranted.

On a forum like the MMAHOUR you are bound to go beyond the short, stereotypical questions sports interviewers give, and venture into the special interest and more personal realm.

I don't think it is wildly inappropriate to lightly goad fighters into fighting. Overall I like his interviews and he seems like the real deal; an mma fan first and a reporter second. However just like the commentary teams, I prefer former pro fighters to do this job. Ariel's good, but I would be lying to say that I didn't prefer Pat M, Jens, Bas, Phil Baroni, Sonnen types to be asking the questions.
5/6/13 2:13 PM
GarlicSauce

Ariel?

Instigating?

Shocked. I am just...shocked.

5/6/13 2:23 PM
NorthernIrishZombie
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a fan of Conor but he should know better than this. I thought Norman handled himself very well when the subject was brought up. Phone Post
5/6/13 2:36 PM
Gilbosh

painfulapathy - Why so serious? Do you realise how many lives have been lost over this subject? Phone Post 3.0

..Sigh..It doesn't matter how many lives were lost because this about MMA and a fight between two guys who happen who come from a two countries with a lot of history....I can name quite a few more, but this is an MMA forum not the Oxford union.

As a British man with Irish heritage, I fully understand the subject at hand and it has no place in MMA. Full Stop. So Helwani, he's just building the hype, that's all he is doing, Stop trying to make this more than it is.

Maybe over the years, the deaths, the bombings etc have left me in a state of complete apathy too such bulls**t.

I'm not going to chastise Helwani, just like I don't write a letter to Hollywood everytime they cash in on the backs of wars.

This shit sells tickets, puts asses in chairs and numbers on the PPV, sit back, enjoy the ride and stop being such a sensitive little guy.
5/6/13 2:42 PM
painfulapathy

You make it political then it stops being about MMA and becomes about politics.

Sigh...at you not understanding your own point....sigh.

There is no place for it in MMA I agree, so how about Helwani discusses a potential match up for reasons other than differing political beliefs, beliefs that have the potential to offend many MMA fans?

Why not leave all that right out of it and talk about how much potential both fighters have and how it's an old school grappler vs. striker match up?

Sigh.... Phone Post 3.0
5/6/13 2:49 PM
luctaro
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

painfulapathy - You make it political then it stops being about MMA and becomes about politics.

There is no place for it in MMA I agree, so how about Helwani discusses a potential match up for reasons other than differing political beliefs, beliefs that have the potential to offend many MMA fans?

Why not leave all that right out of it and talk about how much potential both fighters have and how it's an old school grappler vs. striker match up?

Sigh.... Phone Post 3.0

The Nose likes to smell new angles, its his WWE connection. The promotional angle you just mentioned is tired as fuck.

Personally, I think nothing is off the table. If a fighter wants to talk politics its his prerogative, as it is to reserve comments on those subjects if they dont want to get involved.
5/6/13 2:54 PM
MOAOZINHO

Oh My Lord, Dude!!

Where you this outraged when Hulk Hogan faced Lord Steven Regal?!

How bout when Hacksaw Jim Duggan fought Iron Sheik?

Dude, it's hype bro. Everyone knows its manufactured. LOL at you getting all serious!
5/6/13 2:56 PM
mrmister

Edited: 05/06/13 2:56 PM
hes has nothing to fear hes a hack on the zuffa payroll
5/6/13 3:00 PM
Gilbosh

painfulapathy - You make it political then it stops being about MMA and becomes about politics.

Sigh.... Phone Post 3.0

I completely agree that Helwani should of talked about the fight from different angles as well, but it's you who believes he made it 'political', to me, it was banter, I don't believe he was out of line, if you & others feel he overstepped the mark then so be it but all this is a hype, banter & hype.
5/6/13 3:09 PM
Pghreal412
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AlexinTO - Imagine that...

An Ariel Helwani thread that mentions both his instigating and the need for him to me more professional!!

I find it hard to believe that people still think his shtick is still a great asset to MMA journalism.

The Co-main event podcast airs on Tuesday and the Espn UFC podcast follows on Wednesday.

Do yourself a favour and try those two.
They are among the best for MMA podcasts for sure. Phone Post
Thanks, looking into these now Phone Post
5/6/13 3:53 PM
BrattMamley
1547 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Huey Freeman - Motherfucker needs to shut the fuck up with this shit.

No need to bring this kind of thing into professional mma.

Put it this way if he carries on with the jokey prodding on such a serious subject he might not find the reaction he gets so funny.

Fucking idiot. Phone Post 3.0
Lol you are the definition of "you mad bro?" Phone Post 3.0
5/6/13 3:58 PM
Haulport

Who gives a shit about the British or the Irish?

5/6/13 4:07 PM
Kings21
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Used to enjoy Helwani's interviews but not any more. Actually I still enjoy his interviews with Dana, pre and post fight. As far as him interviewing other fighters and the MMA hour, I stopped watching all of them because he is such an instigator. I guess some people like seeing a third party run their mouth and poke and prod like that screaming drunk bitch when two guys are havin words outside a bar but not me. It just gets irritating when it could have been a nice solid interview.

Its like that time Jim Everett punch Jim Rome for calling him Chris. Though that was kinda hilarious and still is, but only because Everett clocked him. Guys think they can just sit there and start shit over and over again and they call it diggin for a story. Its pathetic and desperate.
5/6/13 4:13 PM
Haulport

Do people not realize that the only reason anyone knows about Ariel is because he asked Arlovski about Tim being seen with his former girlfriend and Andrei dropped the "How my big Pee Pee taste?" quote?

He has been nothing but a TMZer from the start and if Andrei hadn't come up with soemthing so quotable no one would even talk about Ariel...

5/6/13 4:15 PM
Bobby Lupo
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has Ariel questioned any of the Team Dagestan guys about their Boston bombing thoughs? Asked Ramsey Nijem about a two state solution? 

He should talk about fighting, but since his Arlovski-Sylvia TMZ shit, you guys have eaten his pot stirrings up. 

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.