UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Alvarez: 'This is a big d!@k-swinging contest'

5/6/13 5:13 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Eddie Alvarez hasn't competed in the cage since October 2012, an almost 7-month break which a fighter who likes to stay active is a long time. Furthermore, it doesn't look like his situation is going to resolve anytime soon as the Ultimate Fighter Championship and Bellator (read Viacom) battle in court of where the fighter will and. Alvarez was a guest on today's MMA Hour and vented to host Ariel Helwani

"Pardon my French, this is a big dick-swinging contest between two big companies," Alvarez said. "I have nothing to do with it."

Still, the bulk of Alvarez's venom is directed toward Bellator's parent company. The way he sees it, the fix was in from the beginning.

"I'm trying to do everything the right way, and it seems like for Spike and Viacom, they are getting in the way," Alvarez said. "I believe they had every intention of doing this anyway. It becomes clear to me that they had every intention of blocking me from going to UFC from the very beginning."

In Alvarez's mind, settlement talks with Bellator broke down because he felt Bellator wouldn't match the UFC's offer, which included a title shot and guaranteed pay-per-view slots.

read entire article...

5/6/13 5:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kick Boxe
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I need video of said contest

5/6/13 5:22 PM
epwar
612 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BEEP!

5/6/13 5:29 PM
aaroncev
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But they aren't matching and just prolonging his release.
5/6/13 5:44 PM
JerodR
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

"I'm trying to do everything the right way, and it seems like for Spike and Viacom, they are getting in the way," Alvarez said. "I believe they had every intention of doing this anyway. It becomes clear to me that they had every intention of blocking me from going to UFC from the very beginning."

How can a complany block him from leaving if he doesn't sign a contract agreeing to the matching clause?  It's not that they're trying to block him, they are saying that they are willing to pay what the competitor is willing to pay.  He/his attorneys should have known this all along.

The problem is that they can't... They can say they match it in terms of giving him a PPV cut but there is a big pay difference between an unknown Bellator PPV cut, and a UFC PPV cut.
5/6/13 6:01 PM
NomoRomophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at a Bellator ppv.
Just come on. Phone Post 3.0
5/6/13 6:02 PM
eljamaiquino

JerodR -
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

How can a complany block him from leaving if he doesn't sign a contract agreeing to the matching clause?  It's not that they're trying to block him, they are saying that they are willing to pay what the competitor is willing to pay.  He/his attorneys should have known this all along.

The problem is that they can't... They can say they match it in terms of giving him a PPV cut but there is a big pay difference between an unknown Bellator PPV cut, and a UFC PPV cut.
so its a huge difference between an unknown ppv on bellator and an unknown ppv on ufc? Bellator did match every guaranteed dollar. Alvarez agent is to blame imo..... Phone Post
5/6/13 6:05 PM
ABE FROMAN
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/6/13 6:07 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 05/06/13 6:11 PM

They are just using the matching clause to stall.   

5/6/13 6:17 PM
MMALOGIC

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
JerodR - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

For you guys that say Bellator can't match, you're basically blaming the UFC for offering a retarded hypothetical contract for Bellator to match, right?  You say Bellator will have an unknown PPV, well the future PPV that Eddie would compete on for the UFC is also unknown.  UFC PPV's have drawn between 200K and 1.5M buys, so a contract with 'X' amount per PPV buy is completely unknown.  If the UFC wanted to get Eddie, they would have estimated the PPV buys (taken an average) and offered a dollar amount.  They didn't and offered a hypothetical contract, which Bellator can 'match' because, hypothetically they can have a PPV too.

Like I've stated before, I think the only thing we're realizing here is that Bellators attorneys are smarter than Zuffas.

but it's not a hypothetical...  they offered eddie a fight on GSP/Diaz and when he had to turn it down they offered him a fight on Jones/Chael.  By the time this gets to court Eddie will have the ppv buys for these shows in hand while Bjorn will be holding his dick in his.

You see... Zuffa's lawyers are pertty smart.  He was formally offered fights on these cards for a reason.

please tell me how Bellator is gonna demonstrate that they have matched offers for a fight on GSP/DIaz or Jones/Chael?  they didnt even have a ppv to show.

please tell me how bellator is gonna demonstrate how spike is a match to fox?

please explain to me what jury is gonna side with bellator?

5/6/13 6:23 PM
JerodR
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
JerodR - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

For you guys that say Bellator can't match, you're basically blaming the UFC for offering a retarded hypothetical contract for Bellator to match, right?  You say Bellator will have an unknown PPV, well the future PPV that Eddie would compete on for the UFC is also unknown.  UFC PPV's have drawn between 200K and 1.5M buys, so a contract with 'X' amount per PPV buy is completely unknown.  If the UFC wanted to get Eddie, they would have estimated the PPV buys (taken an average) and offered a dollar amount.  They didn't and offered a hypothetical contract, which Bellator can 'match' because, hypothetically they can have a PPV too.

Like I've stated before, I think the only thing we're realizing here is that Bellators attorneys are smarter than Zuffas.

It depends on which PPV cards you are putting Eddie on. Even if the UFC numbers were hypothetical at least they have an educated guess. What isn't hypothetical is that Bellator has not produced a single PPV so they have absolutely NO basis for any number.
5/6/13 6:47 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want Bellator too just let Eddie go, but why do people always say he was guaranteed a title shot? That has been shot down multiple times, I don't even think he was guaranteed a ppv slot for his first fight either
5/6/13 6:50 PM
MahatmaPetey
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm rooting for the Ultimate Fighter Championship. Phone Post
5/6/13 7:00 PM
Chris27

Sucks for Eddie, if he was on that GSP card he would have made over 2 million dollars for the fight with the signing bonus included, and that doesnt even including him winning and getting his win money. Just PPV, signing bonus, sponsor and base pay he would have made 2 mill for that fight.

IN belaltor he would make 250k signing bonus and 70/70 for the fight, some sponsor money and 0 off PPV.

Its no wonder he is fighting this, thats life changing money, thats college/retirement money.

5/6/13 7:06 PM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why would Alvarez's ppl allow him to sign a contract with any room for interpretation on "matching" at all? If he's on a PPV and if it does x number of buys leaves room for debate as to what the actual contract is worth.

He should have negotiated for a guaranteed amount based on the potential earnings offered in the UFC contract (e.g.: x% of what he would earn if he headlined x number of PPVs and they did over x ratings). Phone Post 3.0
5/6/13 7:53 PM
romadant

If UFC wanted to sign Alvarez with no risk of Bellator matching they would have. They could have tossed a signing bonus or guaranteed money on there that Bellator wouldn't match... but they didn't.

I feel like they purposely use the PPV model to create this situation and try to make Bellator look bad. If you don't think UFC/Dana are using this in fighter negotiations you are short bus material. Dana - "Look, you can sign with us for X and be a fucking fighter, or sign with Bellator and get Alvarez'd and lose your ability to fight, end up in court, lose your house, etc."

Not saying UFC contracts are better, just my thoughts on why the UFC did it the way they did.
5/6/13 8:01 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

romadant - If UFC wanted to sign Alvarez with no risk of Bellator matching they would have. They could have tossed a signing bonus or guaranteed money on there that Bellator wouldn't match... but they didn't.

I feel like they purposely use the PPV model to create this situation and try to make Bellator look bad. If you don't think UFC/Dana are using this in fighter negotiations you are short bus material. Dana - "Look, you can sign with us for X and be a fucking fighter, or sign with Bellator and get Alvarez'd and lose your ability to fight, end up in court, lose your house, etc."

Not saying UFC contracts are better, just my thoughts on why the UFC did it the way they did.

The UFC likes to keep guaranteed money low, they like dangling the game show/bonus money in front of guys, "If you stand and wang you can get a FOTN and KOTN money! Just Bang Bro!"

The PPV cut is the big money, the other stuff is too keep non ppv guys happy and swinging for the fences

They could have easily offered Eddie more money and Bellator wouldn't match, just like Lombard, I think Eddie just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, the UFC wanted to test the waters with Eddie after paying Lombard a good amount compared to how much they usually give guys. A lot of the LWs already in the division would have been upset if Eddie got Hector Lombard type money and throwing off there LW scale for pay
5/6/13 8:02 PM
crumbs
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fryingarmbar - Why would Alvarez's ppl allow him to sign a contract with any room for interpretation on "matching" at all? If he's on a PPV and if it does x number of buys leaves room for debate as to what the actual contract is worth.

He should have negotiated for a guaranteed amount based on the potential earnings offered in the UFC contract (e.g.: x% of what he would earn if he headlined x number of PPVs and they did over x ratings). Phone Post 3.0

Did you listen to the interview? According to Eddie, Bellator sent Eddie "altered" early release papers, with the alterations being, match all details in a contract , changed to match only specific details in the contract. Eddie has orinigal release terms, that why his lawyers caught it, and thats why they are going to court.

Eddie has not signed these release papers, if he did, he would be fucked by bellators special wording of the contract.

This is of course, what I got from listening to the interview. I suggest you listen for your self.

5/6/13 8:05 PM
FingerorMoon
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/06/13 8:10 PM
Its just as much the UFCs fault for the way they purposely keep their contracts as vague as possible.

They could easily state a PPV cut in more concrete terms (viewer numbers, % of profit, minimum and max payments,etc) and Bellator wouldn't be able to match it, but they want their own room to move and interpret.

And its that, that gives Bellator/Viacom the ability to wiggle around in their 'matching'

Business is business and all that, but a mans personal morals and ethics should come in to play in situations like this and Bjorn is a scumbag because he knows he is using a technicality to hold someone against their will.

The world isn't black and white and we all make decisions that others remember for good or bad. I'm sure other fighters will be far more careful when dealing with him from now on.

5/6/13 8:21 PM
crumbs
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FingerorMoon - Its just as much the UFCs fault for the way they purposely keep their contracts as vague as possible.

They could easily state a PPV cut in more concrete terms (viewer numbers, % of profit, minimum and max payments,etc) and Bellator wouldn't be able to match it, but they want their own room to move and interpret.

And its that, that gives Bellator/Viacom the ability to wiggle around in their 'matching'

Business is business and all that, but a mans personal morals and ethics should come in to play in situations like this and Bjorn is a scumbag because he knows he is using a technicality to hold someone against their will.

The world isn't black and white and we all make decisions that others remember for good or bad. I'm sure other fighters will be far more careful when dealing with him from now on.

I bet you didn't even listen to the interview.

UFC is as clear on PPV terms as one can be without actually knowing the PPV numbers before hand. what do you want, time travel.

I wish people would just listen to the interviews that they comment about it on a forum, granted its just one side, eddies side of the story, but if you listened to the interview you would have gathered, that Bellator sent Eddie altered early release papers that could be left up to interpretation, even after Eddie said "hey, you sent altered papers, send me the originals" , they sent him the same papers, but sent his lawyers the original papers where it states Bellator must match everything, and states it clearly, trying to trick Eddie into signing the changed papers, all the while his lawyers had the correct papers. Apparently UFC was so clear on there terms, Bellato/viacom had to try and sneakily get around it.

Again this is only eddies side of the story, You can take it for what it's worth, can't wait for bellators response.

5/6/13 9:02 PM
tubuku01

Big dick swinging contest!? Must be held in the WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE! mods, move to the og! Phone Post
5/6/13 9:11 PM
time traveling 12er
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow if it's true they sent one copy to Eddie and a different one to his lawyer, that's shady as fuck. 

5/6/13 11:08 PM
Jive Turkey

Would it kill the UG Blog to have someone who's at least semi literate write these little blurbs?
5/6/13 11:17 PM
Mylott
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok people,

Here is where we get behind one of these fighters and help them out. I am a lifelong mma fan as well as a lifelong student. I have been blessed with two sons, ages 3 & 5 who will also be involved in this in whatever way they choose, the oldest is already involved. Our country, he'll, the entire world is basically in legal quicksand because of our sue happy culture that is now everyone's reality. One of the biggest things I will preach to my kids is stay out of court, you never know how it will end up. The prosecutor may not like your face that day or maybe had a fight at home and they decide to ruin your life just because they can, the truth is rarely important. Take this situation as an example, do you think Alvarez can outlast these creeps in court?? No way, they can wait it out while his career disappears as he gets older every day. We need to help this guy now. I don't watch That organization very often but I do believe in supporting all of these guys no matter what organization because of my passion for the game. I breathe this stuff so I propose that we get behind Alvarez and save him from losing this precious window of youth he is about to have stolen from him. Talent like his is rare and we all know you can't win consistently on that alone... For us in the know, we truly know how much hard work it takes to be at his level so how could we not do all we can to pay him back for putting on these fights that we love so much??? We need to do whatever it takes to make sure the higher ups know that we will fight for one our own and will not let them steal his window!!! You people know what it is I speak of..... We have all sat there and wondered, what if I just took a shot when I had the chance, or how great was it when I put my heart and soul on the line when I had my window??? How great is it that he has this opportunity to be in the big show after all these years?? We can't sit back and let these blood sucking lawyers tie him up in court while age takes its course and ring rust sets in!!!!! F - - K THAT!!!!!!! No more watching anything that has to do with that company until the right thing is done!! Please forward this to everyone you know that loves this S--T as much as I do and let's make sure that the right thing is done MOTHERF-----S!!! Who wants to get behind our sport and see who wants to F--K with us??? I'm tired of people pointing the finger at us like we are a group of uneducated blindly violent morons while they turn on football every Sunday in an act of the highest hypocrisy, to watch a game that has infiltrated every corner of our country and condones anything anyone of the college or pro players does, including domestic violence, rape, murder, assault etc. I digress... As you can tell I have a lot to say, but its hard listening to people speak ill of MMA when they are absolutely ignorant of all it entails. They have no problem getting on the bandwagon and trying to fill their pockets as this thing gets bigger and bigger though... We need to show our loyalty by doing what we can to gets the dogs off of Alvarez... My suggestion is ZERO ratings until this is resolved, watch how fast that gets done people!!! Or I say lets start talking about it here and start coming up with legitimate ideas to get this kid back to fighting and making money to support his family. LETS START WITH HELPING OUR FAMILY, WE HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER ON THIS ONE!! I AM SURE YOU ALL AGREE THAT WE DO NOT WANT THIS TO BE BOXING, AND IM SURE YOU ALL AGREE THAT THIS IS WHERE IT ALL STARTS, WITH SOMETHING JUST LIKE THIS!!!!
5/7/13 12:27 AM
JerodR

RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
MMALOGIC - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
JerodR - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

but it's not a hypothetical...  they offered eddie a fight on GSP/Diaz and when he had to turn it down they offered him a fight on Jones/Chael.  By the time this gets to court Eddie will have the ppv buys for these shows in hand while Bjorn will be holding his dick in his.

You see... Zuffa's lawyers are pertty smart.  He was formally offered fights on these cards for a reason.

please tell me how Bellator is gonna demonstrate that they have matched offers for a fight on GSP/DIaz or Jones/Chael?  they didnt even have a ppv to show.

please tell me how bellator is gonna demonstrate how spike is a match to fox?

please explain to me what jury is gonna side with bellator?

So UFC's lawyers are so smart they want to go to court over this for who knows how long?  You say they were going to put him on those cards for a reason.  So if they are estimating 800K PPV buys and are paying Eddie $2 per buy (as posters are claiming to be true), why not just offer him $1,85M ($250K + PPV) for his first UFC fight? 

Bellator would not have matched, UFC would not be spending time/money in court, none of this would be going on, and they would by paying Eddie the exact same amount of they are apparently offering in their hypothetical contract.

Just like the UFC is saying "we were going to put him on those cards,"  Bellator could say "we were going to have a PPV card with Eddie headlining it.  It's a pretty simple concept.

Why change something that isn't broke. If Bellator even had on single PPV to use as an example then they would have a leg to stand on. Although they do have good lawyers a pipe dream does not stand up in court. That is all Bellator PPV is at this point....a pipe dream. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.