UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> PRIME Frank Shamrock vs PRIME Kazushi Sakuraba

5/6/13 8:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HandsomeTopTeam
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who takes this fight of MMA legends? How do their styles matchup?
5/6/13 8:59 PM
Daht
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

prime shamrock.. prime sak was mainly beating up gracies, shamrock had the standup and better style to handle sak. Would be close and really either way of course.
5/6/13 9:00 PM
grkblood
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Show Radio, janitor

I like this matchup. Tough to call.

5/6/13 9:10 PM
Vicmister
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it goes down as a close fight that goes to decision. I don't think Frank could dish out enough punishment to stop Sak but at the same time I don't see Sak catching Frank. When I think of this fight I can't help but think about Sak vs Renzo and Sak vs Mezger, both opponents were well rounded. Mezger good on his feet and very competent on the ground, Renzo great on the ground and competent on his feet. Sak was never really able to out duel good grapplers on the ground and I think Frank had good enough MMA grappling to frusterate Sak's game. I'm sure Sak would get a few takedowns but I'm not sure if he gets anywhere with them.

If this fight takes place in Pride, Sakuraba wins a decision that has fans crying foul. Kind of like how people swear Sak lost to Mezger, Goes and Renzo.

But that's just my opinion.
5/6/13 9:13 PM
WALES1
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Prime Shamrock had it all.

Tapping out an Olympic gold medal wrestler in 16 seconds - this is one of the most underrated moments in MMA.

His slam on Zinoviev.

Beating Tito and his war with Enson. Phone Post 3.0
5/6/13 9:16 PM
CharlesLewis
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Prime Sak is hard to define. His striking got better as his body started to fall apart. Was there a point when he was good enough to beat Shamrock? I think so. Maybe just before Sak got KTFOd by Wand?

5/6/13 9:20 PM
Wasa-B
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This has been talked about a lot since back in the day. Stylistically speaking, Frank was easy to td and Saku was a great td fighter. Frank had the better striking, both were good on the ground.

Would Frank be able to stop the tds at all?
5/6/13 9:20 PM
theshooter
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank Shamrock vs. Kazushi Sakuraba is one of the best fights that never happened.
5/6/13 9:22 PM
HandsomeTopTeam
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can see Saku getting Frank down with a trademark single leg takedown.
5/6/13 9:27 PM
jacktripper

Sak would have zero chance outside of Japan Phone Post 3.0
5/6/13 9:28 PM
Wasa-B
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WALES1 - Prime Shamrock had it all.

Tapping out an Olympic gold medal wrestler in 16 seconds - this is one of the most underrated moments in MMA.

His slam on Zinoviev.

Beating Tito and his war with Enson. Phone Post 3.0

Sick slam but wrestling was his weak point overall.
5/6/13 9:29 PM
Wasa-B

jacktripper - Sak would have zero chance outside of Japan Phone Post 3.0

Still going............

How would being outside of Japan all of a sudden give Shamrock some new found tdd and make Sak forget a lifetime of wrestling and the best low single we've seen in MMA?
5/6/13 9:33 PM
WALES1
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank gave up the TD.

Holding Frank down and inflicting damage that's another matter all together. Phone Post 3.0
5/6/13 10:11 PM
RyannVonDoom

Too bad it never happened Phone Post 3.0
5/6/13 10:20 PM
HELWIG
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sakuraba. He was immune to subs until a bizzare match with Mayhem years past the point he should have retired.

The only guy who stopped the TD was Mezger. Not Conan, Vovchanchyn, Rampage, Wand, etc.

5/6/13 10:24 PM
raags
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vicmister - I think it goes down as a close fight that goes to decision. I don't think Frank could dish out enough punishment to stop Sak but at the same time I don't see Sak catching Frank. When I think of this fight I can't help but think about Sak vs Renzo and Sak vs Mezger, both opponents were well rounded. Mezger good on his feet and very competent on the ground, Renzo great on the ground and competent on his feet. Sak was never really able to out duel good grapplers on the ground and I think Frank had good enough MMA grappling to frusterate Sak's game. I'm sure Sak would get a few takedowns but I'm not sure if he gets anywhere with them.

If this fight takes place in Pride, Sakuraba wins a decision that has fans crying foul. Kind of like how people swear Sak lost to Mezger, Goes and Renzo.

How do people swear that Sakuraba lost to Renzo? Am I missing something here?
5/7/13 12:34 AM
ranier wolfcastle
670 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

frank was relatively easy to take down and out position

sak wouldnt have gotten subbed

5/7/13 12:48 AM
UGPTT_Rear Naked Chode
356 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

raags - 
Vicmister - I think it goes down as a close fight that goes to decision. I don't think Frank could dish out enough punishment to stop Sak but at the same time I don't see Sak catching Frank. When I think of this fight I can't help but think about Sak vs Renzo and Sak vs Mezger, both opponents were well rounded. Mezger good on his feet and very competent on the ground, Renzo great on the ground and competent on his feet. Sak was never really able to out duel good grapplers on the ground and I think Frank had good enough MMA grappling to frusterate Sak's game. I'm sure Sak would get a few takedowns but I'm not sure if he gets anywhere with them.

Was thinking the same lol.

He made some good points and then, " Sak was never really able to out duel good grapplers on the ground". What about Royler, Renzo, Newton etc?
5/7/13 12:50 AM
UGPTT_Rear Naked Chode
356 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Regardless, this fight could have been epic.
5/7/13 12:57 AM
Wasa-B

Frank not only gave up tds but also position. He was a good sub guy but not strong in tds or position
5/7/13 1:16 AM
Vitor29

Sak. That is all. Phone Post
5/7/13 1:26 AM
UGCTT Captain America
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

raags -

Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 2:58 AM
Rickson's Aura
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank fought Tamura who may have been bigger than Sak but similarly a good grappler. Frank fought him to a draw. Frank would have gotten the decision based on the normal rules. Tamura didn't have Sakuraba's takedowns though.

This fight has 3 outcomes. Sak by decision via position/takedowns. Frank via TKO/KO. Frank via decision based on damage done. Back in the day Frank was very active from the bottom in terms of movement, striking, and creating a scramble. I don't think Sak is one of those guys who will just hold a guy. He would open up to strike and that gives Frank more chances to scramble. Eventually I see Frank catching him on the feet.
5/7/13 3:01 AM
FinestScotch

I think Sak was far better on the ground, and would take it there at will.

Saku by sub.

5/7/13 3:50 AM
nhb1

This fight i would have paid for by itself,of course Pride rules tho. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.