UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC ink UK and Ireland deal With BT

5/7/13 6:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fight! UK Online
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/09/13 9:28 AM

I think pretty much everyone was already expecting this, but here's the confirmation:

http://www.yourmma.tv/news/details.asp/id/2758/ufc-sign-three-year-deal-with-bt.htm

Garry Cook, Executive Vice President and Managing Director of UFC EMEA, said

“The keys to success for UFC, in broadcast terms, are to identify strategic partners who are committed to building the business together beyond just airing non-European premium live content. UFC athletes are the most committed and dedicated in the world of sport and this new relationship will help people gain a more in depth understanding of the sport and our brand.”

Simon Green, Head of BT Sport, said

“We’re delighted to have signed this agreement with UFC. We’ve said BT Sport will offer a wide range of sports that appeal to different audiences and we know that UFC has a huge, committed fanbase in the UK and Ireland and we hope they will be excited about our plans to develop the coverage of the sport”.

Update

Prices announced. Free if you have BT Broadband:

http://www.yourmma.tv/news/details.asp/id/2761/bt-sports-pricing-announced-uk-ufc-fans.htm

5/7/13 7:03 AM
HitchieG
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
5/7/13 7:07 AM
painfulapathy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We really need to wait until Thursday for the full details to be announced to discover whether this is side step or a step forward!

Gary Cooke certainly seems to be doing a lot more than Marshall ever did. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 7:09 AM
Chimp Strength
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/07/13 7:09 AM

Garry Cook is a moron.  This is another terrible deal with an equally terrible partner.  What kind of experience are BT bringing to the table that makes the UFC think that they will be able to take the company forward?  This channel will go the same way as Bravo, Setanta and ESPN UK the other previous UK partners.  I guess I better add another shit channel to my subscription. *sigh*

EDIT: Spellcheck

5/7/13 7:36 AM
Bwatermyfren
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So does this mean we will have to pay a monthly subscription to be able to watch it.

Or will it be a free channel on sky? Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 7:37 AM
tom_hkr
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only logical reason for not going with sky sports i can think of is sky arent interested! Still think the idea of a ufc channel would have been good Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 7:38 AM
Flannerz
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think we'll definitely have to pay monthly for BT Sport, but won't know how much till Thursday. Unlike Setanta and ESPN, BT have actually got one of the top football packages, rather than the rubbish games the others have had. They seem to be putting a lot of money behind the channel
5/7/13 7:40 AM
Chimp Strength
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tom_hkr - The only logical reason for not going with sky sports i can think of is sky arent interested! Still think the idea of a ufc channel would have been good Phone Post 3.0
As far as I understand, but don't take this as gospel, SKY wanted the content at a low rate and saw it as doing the UFC a favour because of the exposure they would provide. I'm only repeating what I've read so that might not be true.
As for the BT channel, as I understand its a direct replacement for ESPN UK so I think you're looking at the same monthly fee as before. I wouldn't be surprised if its higher cause I think they bought more Premier League than ESPN had. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 8:11 AM
Spiderknows
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub for cost details Phone Post
5/7/13 8:46 AM
willmarks1991

Sub Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 8:49 AM
chllr

So ESPN is going? I'm baffled, all this channel swapping sucks a bag of dicks, surely this shows why people stream and download. I signed up for ESPN a couple or years ago and it was great. UFC, NBA and NHL all in one place in full hd. First the hockey goes to a shitty channel, now the UFC is moving. Fuck these leeches, I'm going back to the trusty downloading. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 8:51 AM
Bootsy Collins
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chllr - So ESPN is going? I'm baffled, all this channel swapping sucks a bag of dicks, surely this shows why people stream and download. I signed up for ESPN a couple or years ago and it was great. UFC, NBA and NHL all in one place in full hd. First the hockey goes to a shitty channel, now the UFC is moving. Fuck these leeches, I'm going back to the trusty downloading. Phone Post 3.0

Last sentence has a delicious amount of irony. :)
5/7/13 8:53 AM
FedorsBadassFists
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, fuck those leeches! Let's go back to stealing the product instead!
5/7/13 9:16 AM
Nick Diaz Fan

Yeh fight the power how dare they provide us more entertainment on a different channel il bury them damn cockroaches....starts downloading Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 9:16 AM
chllr

Bootsy Collins -
chllr - So ESPN is going? I'm baffled, all this channel swapping sucks a bag of dicks, surely this shows why people stream and download. I signed up for ESPN a couple or years ago and it was great. UFC, NBA and NHL all in one place in full hd. First the hockey goes to a shitty channel, now the UFC is moving. Fuck these leeches, I'm going back to the trusty downloading. Phone Post 3.0

Last sentence has a delicious amount of irony. :)
Haha you're right but what can you do, I enjoy sports but can't afford to pay out a ridiculous amount of money to watch them. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 9:19 AM
goocher
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hopefully you guys in the UK will have to pay full price for PPV now.
5/7/13 9:24 AM
JOB
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PPV is an American thing. You guys have been used to it for so long. In Ireland & Britain, we're used to paying for premium channels to access sport, rather than pay for individual events. That has been changing over the past few years - but I don't think UFC sold as individual PPV's would sell well. Piracy would just increase.
5/7/13 9:30 AM
Huntsman
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

goocher - Hopefully you guys in the UK will have to pay full price for PPV now.
Don't think so son. Not when you mugs across the pond pay for us!!!

God bless America!!! Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 9:30 AM
hedfunk
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Putting it on PPV would kill UFC in the UK. First off, we just don't do them, secondly, we certainly wouldn't pay £40/£50 for a card that starts at 3am. You'd maybe get 10k buys from the super hardcore fans.

I really think the UFC should have taken a cut rate deal from SkySports for 2 or 3 years then renegotiate. SkySports could do wonders for UFC.
5/7/13 9:44 AM
chllr

hedfunk - Putting it on PPV would kill UFC in the UK. First off, we just don't do them, secondly, we certainly wouldn't pay £40/£50 for a card that starts at 3am. You'd maybe get 10k buys from the super hardcore fans.

I really think the UFC should have taken a cut rate deal from SkySports for 2 or 3 years then renegotiate. SkySports could do wonders for UFC.
I agree with you sky sports would have been ideal, millions of people would have been exposed to it properly and they have the space to cover it, it's definitely gonna pick up more views than some random sports documentary or the UK basketball league BBL.

Will the new BT Sport channel be available on sky or is it exclusive to their cable/satellite setup BT vision or whatever it's called? Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 9:49 AM
Chimp Strength

^Its replacing ESPN on Sky as far as I know. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 9:53 AM
Fight! UK Online
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, you'll be able to access it on Sky. Waiting for confirmation on Virgin.

5/7/13 9:54 AM
NorthernIrishZombie
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BT Sport 1 and 2 have been on the Sky EPG for at least a week now. Check 445/446. Phone Post
5/7/13 10:23 AM
3rdLion
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a step sideways, maybe even backwards if it's not available on Virgin and it will not increase popularity over here.

If they want to take the UFC forward in the UK, get on Sky Sports, it's the only way.

Apparently the UFC has a "huge" fanbase over here!
5/7/13 10:43 AM
And Wagners Cut

goocher - Hopefully you guys in the UK will have to pay full price for PPV now.
Lol at the notion of that. We're not suckers. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.