UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> B.J. Penn: King of the Counter Jab

5/7/13 9:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Slack
1657 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/07/13 9:32 AM

Hey guys,

I don't expect this to be nearly as successful as that hypothetical piece I did the other day but I hope it gets some hits any way ;) This is my bread and butter, talking technique and not weight!

This is the third piece in my Best of the Best series - having looked at AS's Muay Thai Clinch Work and Ross Pearson's Inside Slip. 

Hope you don't mind clicking the link and as always all feedback is welcomed!

Cheers,

Jack

The Best of the Best series is my commitment to examining in detail the fighters who best demonstrate one facet of the fight game. Some of these will be wider concepts, such as my first piece in the series on Anderson Silva's Muay Thai clinch work, and some will focus on a single technique such as the second piece in this series, Ross Pearson and the Inside Slip.

Today I will be focusing on the counter jab and will centre on certainly its most notable exponent in MMA, B. J. Penn.

Penn was always known to have sharp hands and good head movement but something which fans will notice in a review of his fight footage is that where the young Penn surprised opponents with a cracking left hook (fighting in a more squared stance), as time went on, Penn began to understand the benefits of turning more side on and focusing on jabs and right-handed power punches.

Penn's re-evaluation of his boxing game massively improved his landing percentage and made him one of the most accurate strikers in MMA, where before he was simply a power puncher who lacked polish.

While Penn's focus on improving his boxing game ultimately led to him losing a step in his legendary grappling and developing traditional boxing traits which proved counter-intuitive to kickboxing, it is worth studying just how he landed his jab so often.

The Jab and Its Uses

The jab is an interesting topic because almost everyone (commentators and casual fans) seems to have the same sort of knowledge of it. Every fight fan can tell you that the jab is the quickest strike (being the nearest hand to the opponent) and that it is therefore the hardest to see coming.

Commentators, pundits, writers and fans will throw out sound bites such as "work the jab" but few can actually tell you why some jabbers are effective and some aren't.

The jab as an offensive weapon is actually pretty stunted. It doesn't matter that the jab is short and straight, we live in 2013 and the jab is not going to surpriseanyone. The majority of fighters who have excelled with the jab as a straight forward attack off of the bat, such as Muhammad Ali, Lennox Lewis or SemmySchilt, have had enormous physical advantages in height, length or speed. Even then, most of them work to set up the jabs which they actually land.

The true art of using the jab is in drawing a counter from the opponent which in turn can be countered, or using the jab as a straight counter punch. To see the first in action, I recommend watching my video of Roberto Duran, who uses a jab with the intention of ducking under his opponent's retaliation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d5BpvDOn08c

B.J. Penn was masterful at the second: using the jab as his go-to counter punch. While Penn still used the left hook and right straight counters later in his career, his counter jab provided the quickest, safest response from any position when big power was not necessary.

To see the first instance of Penn really committing to the counter jab and realising its effectiveness, one should watch his first fight with Georges St. Pierre. St. Pierre even at that time was a world-class talent and one of MMA's better strikers, but Penn was able to fluster Georges and hurt him with the counter jab repeatedly.

Penn's counter jab connects as St. Pierre's glides over Penn's shoulder.

Now the words counter and jab make casual fans think about back pedaling and moving around the ring like Muhammad Ali, but the dipping counter jab which Penn likes to use is a remarkably aggressive tactic favoured by pressure fighters and offensive counter punchers. Fighters as diverse as Mike Tyson and Joe Louis used the dipping jab as an offensive counter, showing its amazing utility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2VVASBQuw-U

Tyson using a dipping counter jab to the body to close the distance.

Penn would walk down St. Pierre with great haste, flustering the younger, bigger man to throw strikes to keep Penn off of him, then Penn would dip to the right and fire his own jab. Anyone who has seen a young Mike Tyson's fights, he had a similar opening gambit, but would swarm on an opponent and angle off after closing the distance.

Here is an illustration of the technique from J. C. Thomas' books.

Combined with a drop step with the front foot, decent power can be delivered in such a short punch and it is doubly effective because by forcing the opponent to step in, a collision is created (something I talk about constantly as the goal of striking).

Bj3_originalPenn snaps Joe Stevenson with a hard counter jab.

If an opponent doesn't have the experience to check the counter jab with his right hand or slip it and use the closed distance to rough up the offensive counter puncher, he will keep being driven back on the point of his aggressor's jab, but never be in position to do anything effective of his own. This was the story of the Penn-St. Pierre bout for the early going.

Continues at: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1629401-best-of-the-best-b-j-penn-and-the-counter-jab

5/7/13 9:41 AM
Malvert the Janitor
563 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I approve!!!! Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 9:42 AM
Malvert the Janitor
563 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 9:54 AM
Dominated
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later Phone Post
5/7/13 10:21 AM
buckshot44
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

+3.. well done OP

5/7/13 10:22 AM
HELWIG
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

brilliance

5/7/13 10:35 AM
Free Beer
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome breakdowns. Voted up 3+
5/7/13 11:52 AM
ranier wolfcastle
672 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he counter punched frankie (and made frankie miss) great for 3.5 rounds til he gassed in their 1st fight

5/7/13 11:55 AM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

best eva

5/7/13 11:56 AM
Malvert the Janitor

Anderson's BBC in my Goku -

best eva

: ) Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 11:59 AM
AlexanderTheGOAT

HELWIG -

brilliance

. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 5:03 PM
Jack Slack
1657 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

5/7/13 5:26 PM
Akston
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
5/7/13 5:41 PM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 5:45 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
521 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
5/7/13 7:06 PM
Kid Charlemagne
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very nice Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 7:10 PM
Kid Salami
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ranier wolfcastle - 

he counter punched frankie (and made frankie miss) great for 3.5 rounds til he gassed in their 1st fight

This. 

5/7/13 7:21 PM
John M
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good piece
5/7/13 7:28 PM
BendoBentJediOver
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub. Awesome as always. Phone Post 3.0
5/7/13 8:13 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bad ass article Phone Post 3.0
5/8/13 3:56 AM
Jack Slack

TTT

5/8/13 7:36 AM
weebrave
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will always get the traffic/read from me As long as you post it here. I can't tell who wrote what on team stream before hand. Phone Post
5/8/13 8:44 AM
Jack Slack

weebrave -  You will always get the traffic/read from me As long as you post it here. I can't tell who wrote what on team stream before hand. Phone Post

Yeah I have no idea what is going on with all of that. I don't really know much about BR at all tbh =P

5/8/13 9:08 AM
Hikikomori

Rogan needs to study Jack Slacks articles badly. He is lost when it comes to any sort of boxing. If eddie wineland has any success against Barao his head will explode. Btw Baraos father was a boxer. Cub swanson trains with tim bradley's trainer. Phone Post
5/8/13 10:37 AM
sakurabasHeadBeatAronasKnee
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.