UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> ACL surgery tomorrow.... gulp! (pics)

5/8/13 4:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DarthChoke
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/08/13 4:05 AM

Over the years I have read probably every thread on here about ACL injuries and surgeries. I have been encouraged by them and educated by them. I will post my experience here to hopefully help those of you who might experience a similar journey as mine.

LONG story short. 20 years ago I got my knee side kicked by a training partner. Snap! Never fixed it. After countless dislocations over the years practicing BJJ, I finally knew I needed to get this fixed.

Patellar Tendon Graft

Doc is a surgeon for NFL, Olympians, pro athletes. I am not these things....I think I should be in good hands.

Physical therapy will be done at a local sports therapy center. They are my regions main sports rehab place. I will be PTing like a madman.

Since my days will be limited to PT, video games, and yelling at my kids, I figured I'd have time to post about my whole experience and process for those out there who might be in the same boat about to take the plunge.

I will probably "TTT" this a few times so it does not become too buried.

5/8/13 4:12 AM
Sapa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck let us know how it goes Phone Post 3.0
5/8/13 4:59 AM
demandango
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
5/8/13 10:15 AM
43percentburnt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best of luck and a speedy recovery man! Phone Post 3.0
5/8/13 11:43 AM
shortyjj

Good luck to you....

I recently started a thread about my knee injury...only 2 weeks old now...that turned out to be a combination MCL, ACL, and meniscus tear. I go to surgery later this month after some PT to strengthen the muscles around the knee.

I am also getting the patellar tendon graft, also done by a surgeon for an NFL and NHL team. I'll be eager to see how this goes for you!
5/8/13 12:08 PM
TheBearStare
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Had cadaver done for my qcl in October so maybe the experienc will be different for you. Make sure to set up everything in your home before surgery. Even the small stuff like the location of the remote control. My knee was swollen super bad and I needed help from others just to sit up even. Do therapy and everything will be fine Phone Post
5/8/13 1:41 PM
danop316
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck on the surgery Darth.

I had my ACL done via patellar tendon graft back in '08. I had quite a rough go with it but im happy to say its better then ever now. Beside the nasty scar down the center of my kneecap you cant tell it was ever done.

I was in physio 5 days a week and getting work done by an RMT to keep the muscles relaxed. Physio is the key! make sure you get your ass there as often as you can.

dan

5/8/13 4:27 PM
SmileyNY1985

Sub good luck. Phone Post
5/8/13 6:22 PM
Magic Mago
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That sounds eeriely familiar to me, 20 years ago after years of muay Thai (already countless kicks to the knee area) did I take a kick 2 weeks before a fight, knee just folded over and by some miracle I was able to sorta just pop it back into place, bit its been bad since, clicking and popping constantly, never seen a doc for it.
And I kinnda don't wanna see one either. Phone Post
5/8/13 7:59 PM
DarthChoke
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/08/13 8:33 PM

Continuous Passive Movement machine and Iceman cold therapy device.

Groggy. Low pain today. Expect to have much more tomorrow. Will only take pain meds as needed. Percocet at center- very light headed from it (Hate it). Got Norco for Rx for home. Not taken any yet.
5/8/13 8:01 PM
DarthChoke

Edited: 05/08/13 8:34 PM
5/8/13 10:53 PM
DarthChoke

Penetration Skills - ok, so ok, if you don't want those painkillers....
What? Phone Post 3.0
5/8/13 10:54 PM
shortyjj

good luck man.

Did you get the CPM from your doc or did you get that on your own?
5/8/13 11:12 PM
reagan123
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck. Do your rehab and don't push it to soon.

One good thing about waiting to get the surgery is that the procedure has become way less invasive. Phone Post
5/9/13 2:33 AM
DarthChoke

shortyjj - good luck man.

Did you get the CPM from your doc or did you get that on your own?
They had the CPM and cold therapy device for me in recovery room. Just part of the package. (not to keep of course) Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 7:25 AM
Barbartha
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck man. If you dont want your Perc's please send them to me ;)

5/9/13 8:13 AM
DarthChoke

Barbartha -

Good luck man. If you dont want your Perc's please send them to me ;)

Haha-- no, they'll get used just sparingly.

Sorry. (-; Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 10:27 AM
shortyjj

How's it feeling today?
5/9/13 11:48 AM
DarthChoke

shortyjj - How's it feeling today?
Knee cap is very sore right now. Had to turn off CPM for a while. Not sure if movement or stationary is less painful. More pain than yesterday for sure.

That is to be expected though.

Tomorrow is follow-up post-op appointment. NOT looking forward to getting in the car. Not at all. Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 1:19 PM
danop316
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

keep your chin up Darth. the next couple of days will be the worse days.

I'd highly reccomend buying the iceman if you can afford it and get it today... the ice therapy helps dull the pain by both reducing the swelling and numbing the joint. It will especially help if you are trying to use the percocet sparingly (which i reccomend... its very addictive and a bitch to withdraw from)

dan

5/9/13 1:35 PM
JDOKLR

Had mine done in 98'. Seeing that pic brings back memories. That CPM was the best thing. I experienced A LOT of pain. I hated the pain killers and went at it with just Tylenol. Mine had been torn for 6 years and I competed that way until it was just too unstable. Fucking Judo. But all these years later....all good....knock on wood. Best wishes.
5/9/13 2:32 PM
DarthChoke

Yes I have the Iceman. It's that ice best in the second pic. It helps. I know it'll get better. Just feels like in kneecap is in a vice.

I'm using the pain killers (norco/hydrocodone). I tried to not use them this morning and got up to piss. Pain was so bad my body was twitching, out of breath, sweating. Popped a couple pills and I'm able to relax now.

Not complaining. Just telling the process. Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 2:54 PM
vegard
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember the standing for first week is absolute worst. Get rushes of pain firing through the body. It's crazy how much it hurts. No consolation, but with time it will get better. I think I was able to do full revolutions on the bike after one week. Got rid of crutches after two weeks. Good luck.
5/9/13 3:05 PM
Sgt. Slaphead
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vegard - I remember the standing for first week is absolute worst. Get rushes of pain firing through the body. It's crazy how much it hurts. No consolation, but with time it will get better. I think I was able to do full revolutions on the bike after one week. Got rid of crutches after two weeks. Good luck.

pretty much how mine went.

best part of early sessions of therapy was the massage of the pattella to ward off adhesion. Post therapy exercise ice pack felt good when it first went on.......but FUCK IT ACHED after a couple minutes!
5/9/13 7:02 PM
JDOKLR

Also....My doctor assured me I'd be walking the next day and I'd have "mild pain"....LIAR! It was the most painful experience of my life. Especially the first time I stood up WITHOUT a compression bandage. Throbbing pain. Don't do it. Keep it wrapped up tight. My doctor insisted I concentrate on locking the knee back to avoid build up of scar tissue during rehab as opposed to the bending aspect. That will give u better stability in the long run. The bending will come naturally. I hope u don't go thru even half the pain I experienced. I once asked a girl/woman who had had a child previous to having ACL reconstruction which hurt more. She said the ACL was like giving birth everday for 2 weeks. Therefore I have little sympathy for pregers lol Keep ur chin up. The worst will pass in a few days.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.