UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> ACL surgery tomorrow.... gulp! (pics)

5/9/13 7:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JDOKLR
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/09/13 7:04 PM
Dbl post....android :'(
5/10/13 2:05 PM
shortyjj
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how you doing today DC?
5/10/13 4:26 PM
DarthChoke
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just got out of post op appointment. Drainage tube taken out - fucking ow!
They said everything looks good. Obviously swollen.

X-rays taken. First PT session on Monday. It's a sports therapy center as opposed to a geriatric style therapy.

Yesterday was horrible (pain). Took more pain meds last night and today and not as bad.

Sucks to lay around all day. But main goal right now is increasing angle on CPM machine.

At 60 deg now. They want me at 125 deg in about 2 weeks. So that is the goal.

Eating super clean. No acidic forming foods. Lots of anti inflammatory foods. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 5:03 PM
shortyjj
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad to hear you are progressing.

Tell me more about acidic vs. anti inflammatory foods?????
5/10/13 5:31 PM
DarthChoke
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, that's a while huge topic but.... The more alkaline you can make you body the better. Getting your pH level balanced can greatly improve ones life and health.

Keeping it simple--- eat tons of greens, veggies, and fruits! That's never bad advice for whatever you goals. Meats, dairy, processed sugar make for poor health and acidic ph balances.

Pineapple, especially the core, spinach, nuts, these are just some of the anti inflammatory foods.

I am not against rX meds when truly needed (LIKE NOW), but I want to be as holistically minded as I can. Phone Post 3.0
5/11/13 3:05 PM
DarthChoke

Edited: 05/11/13 3:05 PM
Better today. Now is the frustrating time where I don't think I need the meds as I just lay on couch with the CPM machine on for 20 hours.

BUT when I need to go to the bathroom then I WISH I would have taken some meds because when I stand up there is a lot of pressure and swelling and just overall soreness. Laying down is mostly painless.

I am increasing the angle slowly with CPM. I've gone up to about 66 deg. I'll probably try for a consistent and comfortable 70 deg by tonight.

So as a part of the story...

I have never had surgery before. I walked into the operating room. VERY fucking nervous but played it off and smiled.

Anesthesiologist gave me a poke in the hand after I laid down. A few seconds later I tasted something weird in my mouth and my limbs were tingling. I realized I was about to go unconscious.

5 seconds later I was being woke up my nurse in a recovery room. WEIRD experience. Weird.
5/11/13 6:02 PM
DarthChoke

5/11/13 6:29 PM
danop316
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking great darth! Keep pushing that cpm to the point it's uncomfortable. It's easier to get the knee moving now while its fresh and you are doped up then later when your clean and healed up.

Chin up pal! Your past the worst now! Phone Post 3.0
5/11/13 7:16 PM
reagan123
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That pic brings back a lot of memories. Phone Post
5/12/13 12:26 AM
SmileyNY1985

JDOKLR - Also....My doctor assured me I'd be walking the next day and I'd have "mild pain"....LIAR! It was the most painful experience of my life. Especially the first time I stood up WITHOUT a compression bandage. Throbbing pain. Don't do it. Keep it wrapped up tight. My doctor insisted I concentrate on locking the knee back to avoid build up of scar tissue during rehab as opposed to the bending aspect. That will give u better stability in the long run. The bending will come naturally. I hope u don't go thru even half the pain I experienced. I once asked a girl/woman who had had a child previous to having ACL reconstruction which hurt more. She said the ACL was like giving birth everday for 2 weeks. Therefore I have little sympathy for pregers lol Keep ur chin up. The worst will pass in a few days.
Thank you! I got an ACL Reconstruction as well and just mention that to my finance who gave birth to our daughter 7 months ago. I'll probably be sleeping in the couch for the next week. Phone Post
5/12/13 11:21 AM
DarthChoke

Got to 70 deg! Whew. Slow going.

Biggest problem now is my freaking SORE back. I'm sedentary 95% of the day right now. My lower back is killing me. I did a stretch routine last night with the wife's help. It helped. But there is only so much that can be done when you are sitting and laying down all damn day.

I will walk more today and just stand more today. Phone Post 3.0
5/12/13 1:05 PM
JDOKLR

SmileyNY1985 - 
JDOKLR - Also....My doctor assured me I'd be walking the next day and I'd have "mild pain"....LIAR! It was the most painful experience of my life. Especially the first time I stood up WITHOUT a compression bandage. Throbbing pain. Don't do it. Keep it wrapped up tight. My doctor insisted I concentrate on locking the knee back to avoid build up of scar tissue during rehab as opposed to the bending aspect. That will give u better stability in the long run. The bending will come naturally. I hope u don't go thru even half the pain I experienced. I once asked a girl/woman who had had a child previous to having ACL reconstruction which hurt more. She said the ACL was like giving birth everday for 2 weeks. Therefore I have little sympathy for pregers lol Keep ur chin up. The worst will pass in a few days.
Thank you! I got an ACL Reconstruction as well and just mention that to my finance who gave birth to our daughter 7 months ago. I'll probably be sleeping in the couch for the next week. Phone Post

While on the couch...........Work on locking your knee back........Maybe?

5/15/13 5:17 PM
JDOKLR

You alive?
5/15/13 6:07 PM
shortyjj

My surgery was set for June 3rd. Curious as to how you are feeling!
5/15/13 6:28 PM
DarthChoke

2nd day of PT now. Took pic. Loaded to imgur. Can't post it using iPhone. Ideas?

Using HTML code with greater/less than symbols. Something different needed? Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 6:31 PM
DarthChoke

Edited: 05/15/13 8:42 PM
5/15/13 6:31 PM
DarthChoke

Edited: 05/15/13 8:52 PM
Here are some grosser pics from day 2 & 3.

5/15/13 6:33 PM
DarthChoke

shortyjj - My surgery was set for June 3rd. Curious as to how you are feeling!
Lots of swelling and bruising. Better every day. Up to 82 deg. on CPM. Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 6:34 PM
DarthChoke

Kneecap hurts a lot. Pressure. Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 6:36 PM
DarthChoke

Edited: 05/15/13 8:50 PM
Was just informed I'm doing bike in a few minutes!! Ahhhhh!

Phone Post 3.0
5/16/13 12:23 PM
JDOKLR

I did not get a drain hose. Seems like it would have helped alot as I had crazy swelling and yours looks pretty normal. I don't think I'd ever go thru that again. Besides I'm too old for it:'( knock on wood my knees are healthy except for occasional pain around the meniscus on my fixed knee. Best wishes. PS:: setting a goal of let's say, competing in 1 year will really help. Most people just wait.
5/17/13 12:38 AM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your diet does not affect your blood's ph level. Your body regulates it, and if it stopped doing so and it moved a little bit, you would die. Phone Post 3.0
5/19/13 10:09 AM
JamesParades
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

demandango - Your diet does not affect your blood's ph level. Your body regulates it, and if it stopped doing so and it moved a little bit, you would die. Phone Post 3.0
He's not talking blood ph. He is talking cellular ph. You are 100 % correct on the blood thing. Phone Post 3.0
5/29/13 8:50 AM
shortyjj

Hey DC....how's it going? I go in for mine on monday.
5/29/13 3:41 PM
DarthChoke

Edited: 05/29/13 3:43 PM

No full rotation on bike yet. Still on crutches. I think I could support my weight on my leg but still a lot of pain in kneecap(swelling). They had to "clean up" meniscus too so there is damage there too.

CPM machine went back so I'm on my own! Haha Full extension and can bend up to 80 deg on own- probably to 100 if I take 10 min or so to work up to it. Full leg raises. I can almost flex all area of quad and hold it.

Weird how I can't control body fully.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.