UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Rafa / Marcelo ???

5/15/13 10:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Muffinho
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shermbe - 
Muffinho - Mg is close to 180 year round.

Rafa hits around 170, but competition shape he'd be close to 160.

MG would beat Rafa nogi. Rafa would win on points in the gi.

Rafa can't beat Cobrinha on points in the gi, what makes you think he could beat Marcelo in the gi?

Marcelo hasn't been beaten in the Gi in years. he didnt even have a point in the Mundials 2011.

I don't think MG would beat Cobrinha in the gi either.
5/16/13 9:45 AM
shermbe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Penetration Skills - 
shermbe - 
Muffinho - Mg is close to 180 year round.

Rafa can't beat Cobrinha on points in the gi, what makes you think he could beat Marcelo in the gi?

Marcelo hasn't been beaten in the Gi in years. he didnt even have a point in the Mundials 2011.

um.....maybe you should do some research

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dul-rG1QFvY

yea i know he got subbed last year at the pans, but thats not beating cobrinha on points. Almost every other time almost every other time it's gone to ref decision or that dumb advantage at the last ADCC.
5/17/13 1:58 AM
AokiPants
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Muffinho - Mg is close to 180 year round.

This. Phone Post 3.0
5/17/13 10:12 AM
Baroquen Record
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

we've all seen Cobrinha get tapped and beaten, and we've all seen Marcelo get tapped and beaten. When is the last time you saw Raf even in trouble against anyone? Definitely not tapped and when he has lost a match it has been by the smallest of margins, even when facing the likes of Rodolfo.

I understand the greatness that is Marcelo, but I think that Raf is better than most think he is.
5/17/13 10:50 AM
Drew Foster
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Baroquen Record - we've all seen Cobrinha get tapped and beaten, and we've all seen Marcelo get tapped and beaten. When is the last time you saw Raf even in trouble against anyone? Definitely not tapped and when he has lost a match it has been by the smallest of margins, even when facing the likes of Rodolfo.

I understand the greatness that is Marcelo, but I think that Raf is better than most think he is.

I definitely agree that people might not be giving Rafa his due, but as far as Marcelo and Cobrinha getting tapped and beaten, Marcelo has not been tapped by anyone around his own size in a decade, and hasn’t been tapped by anyone period since Braulio Estima 4 years ago. I don’t think Cobrinha has ever been submitted at his weight at black belt, except by Rafa. He got submitted by Rodolfo in the gi but again that’s a huge size advantage. Rafa really hasn’t done that many absolutes so you have to remember when Marcelo has been subbed, most of these losses are 6+ years old to much bigger opponents. Just sticking up for MG and Cobrinha.

I do think that Rafa will end up doing the Absolute at ADCC this year, and even though I typed all that I think Rafa is top 3 pound-for-pound on the planet, and will go down in history as one of the best ever. If he faced Marcelo in a gi right now I would probably pick the odds for Rafa. No-gi I still think Marcelo would take it.

Unfortunately I just don’t think we’ll ever see this match.
5/17/13 12:56 PM
Claude Patrick
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

forget about loosing matches i was trying to think about time i have seen rafa behind in any sequence?? not even defense but i mean reactive to the ohte rguy in the lead..

id love to see this fight but i think marcello is the favorite given the size advantage..
5/17/13 1:14 PM
Mighty Cthulhu
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I rolled against Rafa once at a seminar, and he was pretty tiny. Just a real small guy, small bone structure. Can't see him putting on much legit useful weight. If they both are in great shape, and it's nogi, I think Marcelo takes it due to size. In the gi, I'd give it to Rafa because his gi game is just monstrous at this point.
5/17/13 6:35 PM
demandango
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marcelo wins gi or not. Phone Post 3.0
5/18/13 6:05 PM
rootabager

I am uninterested in gi match. If they going no gi marcelo choking him quick. his no gi game is unbeatable.
5/18/13 6:11 PM
H
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had Gui out for a seminar in September. To my surprise, when we asked about Rafa, he said Rafa's game was actually better in No Gi.
5/18/13 6:32 PM
Baroquen Record
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Claude Patrick - forget about loosing matches i was trying to think about time i have seen rafa behind in any sequence?? not even defense but i mean reactive to the ohte rguy in the lead..

id love to see this fight but i think marcello is the favorite given the size advantage..

That is what I mean. Raf is as close to perfect as I've seen in competition.

As for the gi vs no-gi thing, Raf won ADCC twice and looked monstrous in the process. He looked as good there as he does in the gi, easily.
5/19/13 9:26 PM
shiki31

Marcelo and Rafa are too far apart in weight. Rafa and Cobrinha are in the same weight class and in this video Garcia is clearly at least one weight class above Cobrinha.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 1:27 AM
Baroquen Record

shiki31 - Marcelo and Rafa are too far apart in weight. Rafa and Cobrinha are in the same weight class and in this video Garcia is clearly at least one weight class above Cobrinha.

yes because one weight class is way too far apart for guys who have won matches against heavy weights.
5/27/13 3:00 AM
shiki31

H - I had Gui out for a seminar in September. To my surprise, when we asked about Rafa, he said Rafa's game was actually better in No Gi.
My friend Gustavo Fonseca works at AoJ and he said the same thing. Rafa's nogi game is better than gi. Regardless, Marcelo takes this one. Phone Post 3.0
5/27/13 3:03 AM
shiki31

Baroquen Record -
shiki31 - Marcelo and Rafa are too far apart in weight. Rafa and Cobrinha are in the same weight class and in this video Garcia is clearly at least one weight class above Cobrinha.

yes because one weight class is way too far apart for guys who have won matches against heavy weights.
Sorry for offending you. Hope I didn't ruin your day. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.