UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones: Don't mess with an MMA fighter

5/9/13 1:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Brian J DSouza
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vulva Fabulous -  What kind of boxing argument is this? Doesn't anybody remember Rocky Balboa training so hard in Russia that he was almost a cruiserweight when he defeated the much larger Drago? Phone Post

Careful, pal. You don't want to get banned from these forums, do you?

5/9/13 2:00 PM
Theonlyvivid

KingofBJJ - I think that point Boxers are trying to make is that they are the best when it comes to the hands. So when they go into the ring, they are expecting you to try to box with them.

It is absurd to think any boxer, without any Martial Arts or grappling training thinks he can walz past those techniques to a win.

No, there are many educated MMA fans who grew up to Boxing, and someone such as myself competed/trained in it. On the other hand, I’ve heard some of the dumbest things from Boxing fans (only), who has the archaic view of fighting is only with your hands. Many MMA fans at least view fighting from different lenses and the multiple possibilities of being efficient.

That being said, I don’t believe someone like Mayweather can just straight lace someone like Jon who not only has a very significant size advantage but if he focused strictly on his boxing and neglected everything else for a long period of time, I’m sure his jab will be effective enough to keep Mayweather at bay, forcing him to get away from the counter boxing mode. Mayweather is one of the best boxers I’ve ever seen, skill for skill, but there is such a size and reach disparity that its hard to imagine Mayweather tooling Jones from bell to bell for 12 rounds without being tagged at all.
5/9/13 2:02 PM
pegson123

Nope Phone Post
5/9/13 2:03 PM
Fade7
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mayweather would easily bob and weave landing a couple of body shots that will make Jones squirm and one to the chin and its lights out. Jones wouldn't be able to land effective punches because Floyd's way too fast. Even being the smaller fighter Mayweather would have more power, just because Jones is bigger doesn't automatically means he hits harder, it takes many years to acquire the skills to throw effectively. Plus Jone's boxing in MMA isn't even that good, his success standing comes mostly from kicks, knees and elbows, not boxing.
5/9/13 2:03 PM
Sid22

I think he means PRO mma fighter...because everyone and theyre dog claim to trane mma these days......
5/9/13 2:09 PM
Gabe Sacchetti
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I personally feel Jones would get embarrassed in a boxing match against Floyd, all he would have is reach which I don't think he would be able to use it how he wants, it's not like jones has a good solid jab. Mayweather would use his movement create angles and find his way on the inside and score points...on the other hand in mma Mayweather would be schooled by anyone from flyweights to HW, all it would take would be a few leg kicks and then take him down and either pound him out or submit him...

don't get me wrong though I feel there are some mma fighters that can box with a boxer maybe a journeyman, just not an elite boxer and vice versa I'm sure there are some boxers out there who may have wrestled when they were in school and wouldn't be completely out of their element against a mma fighter... Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 2:12 PM
Theonlyvivid

Johnny D - The only thing that boxing and MMA have in common is that they are both combat sports, that's where the similarities end.

But I would like to add that being familiar with both I believe that MMA fighters can still benefit from a better understanding of boxing than what we have seen in the evolution of the sport up to now, not so the other way around as boxing has its own set of rules and is a single discipline.

And if I recall correctly Jones had trouble with Machida's striking, if Jones thinks his hands are as good as Mayweather's in a "hands only" boxing sense he's absolutely delusional. Phone Post 3.0

Completely agree that MMA fighters, which I would assume is the case, learn Boxing specifically to understand the technique, combinations, footwork and all the skills required to be a competent boxer. Then it will become more useful once applied into MMA.
5/9/13 3:31 PM
Vulva Fabulous
799 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brian J DSouza -
Vulva Fabulous -  What kind of boxing argument is this? Doesn't anybody remember Rocky Balboa training so hard in Russia that he was almost a cruiserweight when he defeated the much larger Drago? Phone Post

Careful, pal. You don't want to get banned from these forums, do you?

My apologies sir Phone Post
5/9/13 5:28 PM
Johnny D
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Theonlyvivid -
Johnny D - The only thing that boxing and MMA have in common is that they are both combat sports, that's where the similarities end.

But I would like to add that being familiar with both I believe that MMA fighters can still benefit from a better understanding of boxing than what we have seen in the evolution of the sport up to now, not so the other way around as boxing has its own set of rules and is a single discipline.

And if I recall correctly Jones had trouble with Machida's striking, if Jones thinks his hands are as good as Mayweather's in a "hands only" boxing sense he's absolutely delusional. Phone Post 3.0

Completely agree that MMA fighters, which I would assume is the case, learn Boxing specifically to understand the technique, combinations, footwork and all the skills required to be a competent boxer. Then it will become more useful once applied into MMA.
Nice to see someone understands, Not that others don't, it's just you did a real good job in communicating what I meant. Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 5:33 PM
Gomrad
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

boxingman -
GarlicSauce - 

Between an MMA fighter and a boxer:

- In a boxing match, the boxer wins easily.

- Everywhere else (MMA cage, kickboxing ring, street fight, bar brawl, etc.), the boxer gets murdered.

Simple as that.

really
just like don fyre got ko'd in secounds by his 50 year old boxing coach

boxers win in boxing
mma wins in mma

kick boxing it depends

in a street also depends on the environment
because real fights are quick and dirty
a boxer might ko an mma guy before the mma guy even
knows he is in a fight

but it can go the other way...ofcourse
and if you think real fights are fair
you never been in one

real fights happen on the street
not rings or cage

in places like
malls,night clubs,parking lots,bars etc
and are very often not 1-1

and every boxer i have ever know has done well in fights
why?
because punching is the most thing in a real fight
that last between 2-30 secounds

all this being said yes mma fighters have more weapons for the street too
BUT

has good church boy jon jones
ever been in a real fight
i doubt it

his reach and all would seem different
once some drunk asshole smashes a beer bottle on his head from behind as jones was manhandling the drunk guy's friend

thats real fighting
Have you ever been Rochester?

I heard a story from about 10 years ago when a burglar attempted to break into the family home. He ended up taking three New York State Champion beatings halfway down the street... Lost an eye and is now confined to a wheelchair Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 5:34 PM
MisterFixit
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ - Jones said, "To be honest with you, if it was all hands, it would probably be a pretty competitive match. But that's not fighting, either. You can't be at the bar and be like, alright, no kicking, no taking me down,"

-------------------------------

Uh yes you can, and in most fights, people surrounding the fight will jump in to stand you up or will take action against someone fighting "dirty".

You watch too many movies.
5/9/13 6:59 PM
joe canada
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No one who understands boxing gives Jones a snowball's chance in hell in a boxing match vs Floyd.

floyd would outland Jones by an order of magnitude, and no way can Jones handle 12 rounds ate the pace necessary to pressure Floyd.

Floyd by landslide humiliation, knockout, or Jones quitting on the stool/towel thrown.

In the octagon? It goes as long as it takes Jones to put floyd up against the cage, then it's a grapplerape.
5/9/13 7:02 PM
joe canada
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, Jones needs to take advantage of at least a few of the opportunities he's presented to shut the hell up. Unlike Chael, I actually think Jones believes his own hype.

Either go humble, or go flamboyantly arrogant (a la Ali) -- this fake humble arrogance grates.
5/9/13 7:07 PM
Vote me down

lol Jones could jab Floyd from accross the ring. give me a break. None of his defensive moves would matter, Jones is lanky as fuck he will sink that punch in from the dumbest angles.

5/9/13 7:08 PM
Kostakio
493 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GarlicSauce -

- Everywhere else (MMA cage, kickboxing ring, street fight, bar brawl, etc.), the boxer gets murdered.

Simple as that.

This. Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 7:14 PM
xonogenic

Just do a four round fight, Stagger the rounds, two rounds boxing rules, two rounds MMA rules. Even let the boxer have their round first if they want. Whichever fighting discipline finishes, is the best for fighting, and that fighter is the best at their discipline.
5/9/13 7:51 PM
Theonlyvivid

These threads bring out the most retarded comments I've ever heard, anywhere.

5/9/13 7:52 PM
Theonlyvivid

KingofBJJ - Jones said, "To be honest with you, if it was all hands, it would probably be a pretty competitive match. But that's not fighting, either. You can't be at the bar and be like, alright, no kicking, no taking me down,"

-------------------------------

Uh yes you can, and in most fights, people surrounding the fight will jump in to stand you up or will take action against someone fighting "dirty".

Do you really believe that?
5/9/13 7:53 PM
timak

Edited: 05/09/13 8:22 PM
How do you delete this post?
5/9/13 7:54 PM
Theonlyvivid

joe canada - No one who understands boxing gives Jones a snowball's chance in hell in a boxing match vs Floyd.

floyd would outland Jones by an order of magnitude, and no way can Jones handle 12 rounds ate the pace necessary to pressure Floyd.

Floyd by landslide humiliation, knockout, or Jones quitting on the stool/towel thrown.

In the octagon? It goes as long as it takes Jones to put floyd up against the cage, then it's a grapplerape.

With elbows and punches smashing your face, and possibly choked unconscious. Then being grappleraped is the last thing I would ever want in a fight.
5/9/13 7:55 PM
Theonlyvivid

Theonlyvivid - 
joe canada - No one who understands boxing gives Jones a snowball's chance in hell in a boxing match vs Floyd.

With elbows and punches smashing your face, and possibly choked unconscious. Then being grappleraped is the last thing I would ever want in a fight.

Basically, in MMA, taking them down is the only option? Tell that to someone like Aldo.
5/9/13 7:57 PM
Theonlyvivid

Kostakio - 
GarlicSauce -

Simple as that.

This. Phone Post 3.0

Exactly, it really doesn't have to be that in depth.
5/9/13 7:58 PM
UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS
306 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

boxingman - 
GarlicSauce - 

Simple as that.

really
just like don fyre got ko'd in secounds by his 50 year old boxing coach

boxers win in boxing
mma wins in mma

kick boxing it depends

in a street also depends on the environment
because real fights are quick and dirty
a boxer might ko an mma guy before the mma guy even
knows he is in a fight

but it can go the other way...ofcourse
and if you think real fights are fair
you never been in one

real fights happen on the street
not rings or cage

in places like
malls,night clubs,parking lots,bars etc
and are very often not 1-1

and every boxer i have ever know has done well in fights
why?
because punching is the most thing in a real fight
that last between 2-30 secounds

all this being said yes mma fighters have more weapons for the street too
BUT

has good church boy jon jones
ever been in a real fight
i doubt it

his reach and all would seem different
once some drunk asshole smashes a beer bottle on his head from behind as jones was manhandling the drunk guy's friend

thats real fighting

5/9/13 8:16 PM
timak

Kostakio - 
GarlicSauce -

Simple as that.

This. Phone Post 3.0

No. It's not as simple as that my friend. I'm an MMA fighter (amateur but hope to fight professionally at some point) who focuses mostly on his boxing and I've been in quite a few street fights ranging from organised ones to fights at parties where I was drunk. I feel like I know a lot about MMA and street fights and quite a lot about boxing too.

Between an MMA fighter and a boxer, who weigh the same, in various situations it would likely go more like this:

Boxing - Boxer would easily win. Simple as that.

MMA - MMA fighter would win easily as long as he takes the boxer down. The MMA fighter could also win standing if he were able to negate the boxers boxing skills although this is a tall order and could go very wrong.

Muay Thai / Kickboxing - Most people think that an MMA fighter would win in this situation but I'm not so sure. A boxer would spend 100% of his time on hands / standup, whereas a MMA fighters time would LIKELY be dispersed at around 25% on boxing, 25% on muay thai, 25% on wrestling and 25% on BJJ so 50% overall on striking. Therefore, a boxers 100% striking would be up against a MMA fighters 50% striking so more than likely the MMA fighter would find it difficult to overcome the boxers hands as his striking skills simply might not be good enough to do so, however whether or not the boxer would be able to deal with the leg kicks, knees and elbows would surely make it very competitive standing. Having said that I believe a muay thai fighter / kickboxer would win 9/10 times as they spend 100% of their time doing just that.

Street - There are a ridiculous number of variables in a street fight so it is almost impossible to predict what would happen but there are a set of fairly likely outcomes between a boxer and a MMA fighter. In one scenario it is possible that the MMA fighter would be unaware that he is fighting a boxer and try boxing with him in which case he might be knocked out. However, if the MMA fighter knew he was fighting a boxer he could simply take him down or at least avoid being knocked out until he realises he is fighting a boxer and take the necessary actions to win the fight whether that be utilising muay thai skills or taking the boxer down. Of course variables like friends, weapons, weather and location (is it sunny and hot causing you to wear shorts or is it cold causing you to wear jeans) could all have great effect on the outcome of the fight. In my opinion though the MMA fighter would win 7 or 8 out of 10 times as they are better able to handle the number of circumstances they could be put in and are equipped with many more tools. Having said that though boxing would probably be more useful against fighting multiple opponents IN TERMS OF OFFENCE as it is the quickest and most efficient way of causing damage. Although MMA would be very useful IN TERMS OF DEFENCE as MMA fighters would be much better able to avoid being taken down and pummelled by a group of people or at least get up if taken down.

On another note Jon Jones is delusional if he thinks a boxing match between him and Mayweather would be competitive. Floyd is arguably the best at his craft and would simply be too quick and far far too technical, Jones would not land a single punch IMO.
5/9/13 8:19 PM
StretchPlum

All I care about is Jones touting our sport.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.