UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones: Don't mess with an MMA fighter

5/9/13 8:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
StretchPlum
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All I care about is Jones touting our sport.
5/9/13 8:29 PM
shawarma

They would both murder the other in their respective sports.

Comparing them would be pointless.

I would add though that boxing is highly specialized. The chances of any MMA fighter doing well against a top boxer in a boxing match are almost nil. Its equivalent to Jon Jones challenging Maia or Jacare in a BJJ match. Or Cyborg challenging Ronda to Judo. Phone Post
5/9/13 8:33 PM
Non N00B
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Johnny D - 
youarewhatiswrong -
KingofBJJ - 
MysteriousNinjaFromMars - 
Johnny D - The only thing that boxing and MMA have in common is that they are both combat sports, that's where the similarities end.

But I would like to add that being familiar with both I believe that MMA fighters can still benefit from a better understanding of boxing than what we have seen in the evolution of the sport up to now, not so the other way around as boxing has its own set of rules and is a single discipline.

And if I recall correctly Jones had trouble with Machida's striking, if Jones thinks his hands are as good as Mayweather's in a "hands only" boxing sense he's absolutely delusional. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah but machida is over 6 foot and 200 pounds and a karate master . Mayweather is maybe 5'8 and 147 pounds, what could he do to jones with his hands in a fight? KO him? No friggen way.

If you don't think a profession boxer at Mayweather's weight can knock out someone Jone's size, you need to just shut up because clearly you are clueless.

It isn't called the "sweet science" for nothing. Boxers may weather size use the sweet techinque of pivoting, weight shifting and fist movement to deliver several hundred pounds of force.

It doesn't take that much force to knock anyone out, as long as you hit them squarely on the temple or corner of the chin.

Jesus, no wonder Boxers and their fans think MMA fans are complete idiots.

You understand that jones wouldnt even need to be the better boxer in a match vs maywether, right? All he would need is a jab. Floyd would never get past jones' jab, wouldnt get close to his chin. This is silly.
It is silly, I keep having images of Bruce Lee fighting Kareem A. Jabbar. With size discrepancies that big the little guy wins only in movies. Phone Post 3.0

Watch Igor vs Varelans, noob
5/9/13 8:42 PM
Johnny D
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Non N00B -
Johnny D - 
youarewhatiswrong -
KingofBJJ - 
Johnny D - The only thing that boxing and MMA have in common is that they are both combat sports, that's where the similarities end.

But I would like to add that being familiar with both I believe that MMA fighters can still benefit from a better understanding of boxing than what we have seen in the evolution of the sport up to now, not so the other way around as boxing has its own set of rules and is a single discipline.

And if I recall correctly Jones had trouble with Machida's striking, if Jones thinks his hands are as good as Mayweather's in a "hands only" boxing sense he's absolutely delusional. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah but machida is over 6 foot and 200 pounds and a karate master . Mayweather is maybe 5'8 and 147 pounds, what could he do to jones with his hands in a fight? KO him? No friggen way.

If you don't think a profession boxer at Mayweather's weight can knock out someone Jone's size, you need to just shut up because clearly you are clueless.

It isn't called the "sweet science" for nothing. Boxers may weather size use the sweet techinque of pivoting, weight shifting and fist movement to deliver several hundred pounds of force.

It doesn't take that much force to knock anyone out, as long as you hit them squarely on the temple or corner of the chin.

Jesus, no wonder Boxers and their fans think MMA fans are complete idiots.

You understand that jones wouldnt even need to be the better boxer in a match vs maywether, right? All he would need is a jab. Floyd would never get past jones' jab, wouldnt get close to his chin. This is silly.
It is silly, I keep having images of Bruce Lee fighting Kareem A. Jabbar. With size discrepancies that big the little guy wins only in movies. Phone Post 3.0

Watch Igor vs Varelans, noob
That wasn't a boxer fighting a MMA fight, noooob, you're funny, funny like a clown. Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 8:55 PM
ShawnTheBadger
420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ - Jones said, "To be honest with you, if it was all hands, it would probably be a pretty competitive match. But that's not fighting, either. You can't be at the bar and be like, alright, no kicking, no taking me down,"

-------------------------------

Uh yes you can, and in most fights, people surrounding the fight will jump in to stand you up or will take action against someone fighting "dirty".

No.  You cannot, Jones is correct.

"In most fights, people surrounding the fight will jump in to stand you up or will take action against someone fighting dirty"? 

I don't know where you are from, but I have not seen the scenario you describe since grade-school.

I threw folks out of bars for nearly 3-decades in Houston, San Marcos, San Antonio.  As an adult, I have never seen folks "jump in to stand you up" or "take action against someone fighting dirty".

Either of those particular actions and you would just be another combatant. 

The vast overwhelming majority of people will not lift a finger or do anything more than gawk at a street/bar fight, while trying to get out of the way.

This Jones/Mayweather, MMA vs Boxing discussion is the same old, same old.  Same size pros, the boxer wins at strictly boxing, the MMA guy wins in the cage or street.

5/10/13 12:29 AM
razrtyrone

i think Larry Brown is an avid pro wrestling fan who also believes pro wrestling to be 'real'. why else would he ask such a stupid question?
5/10/13 12:38 AM
hogh20

Where do guys like KJ Noons fit into this discussion?
5/10/13 12:40 AM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gabe Sacchetti - I personally feel Jones would get embarrassed in a boxing match against Floyd, all he would have is reach which I don't think he would be able to use it how he wants, it's not like jones has a good solid jab. Mayweather would use his movement create angles and find his way on the inside and score points...on the other hand in mma Mayweather would be schooled by anyone from flyweights to HW, all it would take would be a few leg kicks and then take him down and either pound him out or submit him...

don't get me wrong though I feel there are some mma fighters that can box with a boxer maybe a journeyman, just not an elite boxer and vice versa I'm sure there are some boxers out there who may have wrestled when they were in school and wouldn't be completely out of their element against a mma fighter... Phone Post 3.0

Like Kermit Cintron, whom Dana blew off. (I'm obviously still pissed about that, heh.)
5/10/13 12:40 AM
granderojo

Why should we assume that an MMA fighter's hand game would not change to adapt to the differences of boxing. Look at the pro boxers who have had success in MMA. Their hand game is different from boxing when they are in an MMA fight because it's a different sport. To say a top MMA fighter has no ability to tighten his hands for boxing optimization is insane. These guys are skilled.
5/10/13 1:17 AM
UGCTT_granite007
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It would be like witnessing a Pitbull vs. Chihuahua dog fight.

5/10/13 2:48 AM
Non N00B
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SouthernGent - Actually in the cage so far it has been proven to be 50/50

MMA wins: Jimmerson, Toney
Boxing wins: Mercer, Mayorga

Mercer got choked out by Kimbo fucking Slice. Yes he beat the most out of shape, looked like he was near suicide Tim Sylvia that just had his career completely derailed by Big Nog & Fedor (stealer of fighter souls)
5/10/13 3:03 AM
TheLuckyMilkMan
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

saying that jones would even do ok in a boxing match against floyd makes no sense to me. i think floyd would do to him what jones would do to floyd in any other style of fight... destruction.
5/10/13 4:05 AM
flashgetman
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if jbj was to boxe someone his own size, i would give the edge to the boxer...
but against a guy 100 lbs lighter and a foot less reach !! get real guys !! size does matters in combat sports... moreso in boxing where there're so many weight classes.
in boxing jbj wins by KO, after looking goofy at times against arguably one of the most technical boxers alive...
in mma, not even close ... bones would spread pbf cheeks only to ram c*ck deeper !!
5/10/13 4:18 AM
WoodenPupa
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, but is this Mayweather in his PRIME we're talking about? I mean, he might be at the end of his prime, but what about in the MIDDLE of it, like the PRIME of his PRIME? Not sure JJ could handle it, as he's really at the BEGINNING of his PRIME...it's a better fight if both guys are in the PRIME of their PRIME. All styled and primed and rhymed-up and well versed and shit.
5/10/13 4:21 AM
GSPsShadyHandWraps
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"This Jones/Mayweather, MMA vs Boxing discussion is the same old, same old. Same size pros, the boxer wins at strictly boxing, the MMA guy wins in the cage or street."

For a bouncer, you sure have a simplified view of street altercations. Floyd rolls with a 20 man crew including bodyguards, some of them have guns. Infact one of his bodyguards was wanted by the cops for a shooting at a vegas club a few years back

A streetfight between them wouldnt involve Floyd and Jones squaring off like in an 80s Michael Jackson music video.
5/10/13 4:36 AM
Caught_clean
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Mayweather wins in a boxing match as well, but I am loling so hard at the retards saying Floyd KOs Jones. He doesnt KO fucking anyone even at his weight.
5/10/13 5:27 AM
Y2JB

Mayweather would light Jones up in a boxing match, KO for sure, to think otherwise is crazy. Opposite goes for MMA. End of discussion can we leave it now? It's just stupid, it's like asking if Usain Bolt could win the marathon.

5/10/13 5:38 AM
MysteriousNinjaFromMars
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/10/13 5:40 AM
Fuck me , people acting like boxers posses the death touch is fucking mental . Yeah sure Mayweather KO's Jones , of course he does.

Edit:

And let me just make opinion clear here. if they had a boxing match Mayweather would win on points, but to say that he would KO Jones is fucking crazy. If you believe that you are living in LA-LA Land.
5/10/13 7:19 AM
Y2JB

MysteriousNinjaFromMars - Fuck me , people acting like boxers posses the death touch is fucking mental . Yeah sure Mayweather KO's Jones , of course he does.

Edit:

And let me just make opinion clear here. if they had a boxing match Mayweather would win on points, but to say that he would KO Jones is fucking crazy. If you believe that you are living in LA-LA Land.

Floyd ain't just any boxer though, love him or hate him, he's one of the greats.
5/10/13 7:27 AM
MysteriousNinjaFromMars
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Y2JB - 
MysteriousNinjaFromMars - Fuck me , people acting like boxers posses the death touch is fucking mental . Yeah sure Mayweather KO's Jones , of course he does.

Edit:

Floyd ain't just any boxer though, love him or hate him, he's one of the greats.

He sure is and im not disagreeing with that , im disagreeing with the opinion that a pro fighter who doesnt have very good KO power against people his own size being able to KO another pro fighter who has nearly 100 pounds on him.
5/10/13 7:32 AM
Y2JB

Y2JB - 

Edit:

He sure is and im not disagreeing with that , im disagreeing with the opinion that a pro fighter who doesnt have very good KO power against people his own size being able to KO another pro fighter who has nearly 100 pounds on him.

Yeah fair enough i'll concede that. (See someone backed down on an internet forum, a world first) :)
5/10/13 9:29 AM
ShawnTheBadger
420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSPsShadyHandWraps - "This Jones/Mayweather, MMA vs Boxing discussion is the same old, same old. Same size pros, the boxer wins at strictly boxing, the MMA guy wins in the cage or street."

For a bouncer, you sure have a simplified view of street altercations. Floyd rolls with a 20 man crew including bodyguards, some of them have guns. Infact one of his bodyguards was wanted by the cops for a shooting at a vegas club a few years back

A streetfight between them wouldnt involve Floyd and Jones squaring off like in an 80s Michael Jackson music video.

I am making an educated and highly experienced guess that I have been in as many street/bar fights as pretty much anyone on this entire forum.  Hundreds (plural) more physical altercations than the vast majority.  Started seriously street fighting in 1979, started bouncing 1983 at age 18, stopped bouncing in 2010.  From multiple scraps nightly, to weekly at best (or worst, depends on your perspective).  Two (2) to six (6) nights a week.  Times 52-weeks, times 27-years. Why don't you get out a calculator and do the math for us good sir?

Great, let's throw in a thousand myriad variables that can affect the outcome of a street/bar fight.

Perhaps I should have said "All other variables being equal...." before my simplified, straightforward, statement.

Ie...No one has a carry weapon, no impromptu battlefield weapons, no other combatants including Mayweathers entourage, no stoppages by the LEO's, fighting on dry asphalt, in an open parking lot, no gravel or glass, nighttime, under streetlights, both guys sober, loose unrestrictive casual clothing, no steel toed boots, rubber soled shoes, no rings or jewelry, no sneak attack taking the opponent by complete surprise, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...blah, blah, blah....taking into account every single thing that affects the outcome of a street/bar fight.

OR...

I'll just stick with my original general, usually, most-of-the-time statement.

5/10/13 9:55 AM
ShawnTheBadger

Edited: 05/10/13 10:37 AM
KingofBJJ - 
ShawnTheBadger - 
KingofBJJ - Jones said, "To be honest with you, if it was all hands, it would probably be a pretty competitive match. But that's not fighting, either. You can't be at the bar and be like, alright, no kicking, no taking me down,"

-------------------------------

Uh yes you can, and in most fights, people surrounding the fight will jump in to stand you up or will take action against someone fighting "dirty".

No.  You cannot, Jones is correct.

"In most fights, people surrounding the fight will jump in to stand you up or will take action against someone fighting dirty"? 

I don't know where you are from, but I have not seen the scenario you describe since grade-school.

I threw folks out of bars for nearly 3-decades in Houston, San Marcos, San Antonio.  As an adult, I have never seen folks "jump in to stand you up" or "take action against someone fighting dirty".

Either of those particular actions and you would just be another combatant. 

The vast overwhelming majority of people will not lift a finger or do anything more than gawk at a street/bar fight, while trying to get out of the way.

This Jones/Mayweather, MMA vs Boxing discussion is the same old, same old.  Same size pros, the boxer wins at strictly boxing, the MMA guy wins in the cage or street.

I completley disagree. But if you are comparing my experience in street fights to that of elementary, then there is no need to continue this discussion with you.

Come to my neighborhood and take someone down and try to choke them out, and see how many people starts stomping your ass for fighting dirty.

You can feel free to disagree, you can continue or stop this discussion.  It's up to you.

However, I have NEVER seen what you describe beyond a grade-school playground scuffle.

Not one single time.

Your neighborhood must be stuck in an idylic 1950's setting akin to Mayberry.  Do you guys discuss the rules before a bar fight, agree on terms, and then say "Put up your dukes" prior to formally commencing the fight?

How niavely quaint.  If that is what you are used to, more power to you, but you and your entire neighborhood would get mauled in Texas.  Simply because you think there are rules in a street/bar fight.  Wow.

"Fighting dirty" does not even compute, it does not exist, in my rather extensive experience.  There is no such thing.  Chokes are par-for-the-course.  As is eye-gouging, nut-shots, throat strikes, kicking, stomping, fish-hooking, head-butting, biting, purposeful and intentional sneak attacks, carry and impromptu battlefield weapons, additional unexpected combatants, and anything else violently creative you can come up with to win.  There are no rules, no quarter asked, none given, no excuses, no gentlemen's agreements, no Kingsbury Rules, hand-to-hand combat, win by any and all means necessary.

That sir, is just exactly how we roll in Texas.  Yeehaw.

EDIT:  Where in the world are you from?  I know you are being serious, but....I've never heard of, nor seen, such a thing.  It seems silly, innocent and downright preposterous from my (ancient, crusty, weathered, cantankerous) perspective and paradigm.  I'm looking at and reading your words like the RCA-dog.

5/10/13 11:14 AM
GSPsShadyHandWraps

ShawnTheBadger - 
GSPsShadyHandWraps - "This Jones/Mayweather, MMA vs Boxing discussion is the same old, same old. Same size pros, the boxer wins at strictly boxing, the MMA guy wins in the cage or street."

I am making an educated and highly experienced guess that I have been in as many street/bar fights as pretty much anyone on this entire forum.  Hundreds (plural) more physical altercations than the vast majority.  Started seriously street fighting in 1979, started bouncing 1983 at age 18, stopped bouncing in 2010.  From multiple scraps nightly, to weekly at best (or worst, depends on your perspective).  Two (2) to six (6) nights a week.  Times 52-weeks, times 27-years. Why don't you get out a calculator and do the math for us good sir?

Great, let's throw in a thousand myriad variables that can affect the outcome of a street/bar fight.

Perhaps I should have said "All other variables being equal...." before my simplified, straightforward, statement.

Ie...No one has a carry weapon, no impromptu battlefield weapons, no other combatants including Mayweathers entourage, no stoppages by the LEO's, fighting on dry asphalt, in an open parking lot, no gravel or glass, nighttime, under streetlights, both guys sober, loose unrestrictive casual clothing, no steel toed boots, rubber soled shoes, no rings or jewelry, no sneak attack taking the opponent by complete surprise, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...blah, blah, blah....taking into account every single thing that affects the outcome of a street/bar fight.

OR...

I'll just stick with my original general, usually, most-of-the-time statement.

If you have had as many fights as you claim then you would know there is no such thing as "all variables being equal" in a street fight. Thats what makes it a streetfight instead of a dojo challenge, a street fight is chaotic and has no rules

Wich is more likely to happen in reality, Jones getting pistol whipped and jumped by a whole crew or the crowd dispersing allowing Jones and Floyd to duke it out on the dance floor like a 90s martial arts movie?

Or better yet the even more likely outcome is that neither of these two guys even give a fuck about this, its the fanboys trying to live vicariously through their heroes arguing this like its Spiderman vs Green Goblin

5/10/13 12:26 PM
Johnny D
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure people from different cities and different parts of the country have different experiences when it comes to street fights.

personally I avoid them at all cost, I have never known one to not involve a weapon of some type, usually a gun if not a knife.

most of what I have seen ends just like this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBG07UOku4c

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.