UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Liddell: Go knock him out, finish the fight.

5/9/13 10:41 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1279 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Chuck Liddell was one of the most feared strikers in the UFC during his prime and fought with a mostly finish or be finished attitude. Now retired, Liddell is a senior VP at Zuffa and has solid advice for the current crop of fighters who seem to be content with just winning:

“I’d really have to talk to the guys to see if that’s really what they’re doing” he says. “I see it like guys are trying a lot more to just get their win so they can get their next fight. When we were doing it, it was a lot more about just going out and fighting. I hate hearing in a UFC corner ‘you won the first four rounds, just stay away from him this round.’”

That approach, he says, makes sense from a coaching standpoint, but isn’t really the kind of fight he wants to see.

“The guy doesn’t have a knockout punch, hasn’t taken you down the whole fight, why do you have to go be afraid of him?” Liddell said. “Go out and win! Make it exciting, go knock him out, finish the fight.”

read entire article...

5/9/13 10:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kick Boxe
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChokeEmOut -  It's a catch 22, one that the UFC has created and encouraged through their bullshit cutting of fighters Phone Post

/thread

5/9/13 10:47 PM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChokeEmOut - It's a catch 22, one that the UFC has created and encouraged through their bullshit cutting of fighters Phone Post
Boom baby

-Marcus Fenix Phone Post
5/9/13 10:49 PM
Dazednconfused
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Couldn't agree more, chuck! Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 10:50 PM
Tommyunited
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TriumphUnited.com, MarketingCoordinator
ChokeEmOut - It's a catch 22, one that the UFC has created and encouraged through their bullshit cutting of fighters Phone Post
Zing! Yahtzee! Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 10:52 PM
ABE FROMAN

Yep, the UFC has put the fear of god in these fighters over getting their next win. They don't employ career fighters, you either win all your fights or you are absolute fireworks every time you step into the ring. 

No middle ground.

You think any fighter is willing to risk their family's next meal?

5/9/13 10:53 PM
UGCTT_CreepysStacheWax

Who got cut after knocking peolple out? Phone Post
5/9/13 10:54 PM
Saltyballs
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 10:55 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
Double edged sword.
5/9/13 10:57 PM
Goblowyourself
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What an OG...and no not that other site... Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 10:57 PM
Barbalos

It's the UFCs fault for cutting fighters who lose? No, it's the scoring system and the garbage judging, that's the problem. It is exploitable to fight super safe and win. Didn't the Fitch cut prove that being exciting is more job security than winning by points? Didn't Garcia being around as long as he did also do this?
5/9/13 10:58 PM
ShanTheMan
894 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Double edged dildo
5/9/13 11:00 PM
UGCTT Captain America
323 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies -
Boom baby

-Marcus Fenix Phone Post
VTFU Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 11:02 PM
Dugs95

ABE FROMAN -

Yep, the UFC has put the fear of god in these fighters over getting their next win. They don't employ career fighters, you either win all your fights or you are absolute fireworks every time you step into the ring. 

No middle ground.

You think any fighter is willing to risk their family's next meal?

Yea and I hate how they have their favorites and guys they don't like but can't fire yet lol.... Oh well it's a business I suppose that's how it goes Phone Post 3.0
5/9/13 11:02 PM
Ministry of Truth

I love Chuck, but if he took fewer punches, his speech would be a lot clearer. I don't think he's the best to give advice about standing and banging.
5/9/13 11:06 PM
UGCTT_UncleCreepy
1367 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.UncleCreepyMMA.com, UGCTT President
Ministry of Truth - I love Chuck, but if he took fewer punches, his speech would be a lot clearer. I don't think he's the best to give advice about standing and banging.

i disagree, i think he is the best to give advice about standing and banging.

He's right, we need to do our fuckin job better. I know i will in my next fight thats for sure.
5/9/13 11:15 PM
Geoffy
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice to see an active fighter agree with this
5/9/13 11:16 PM
Kick Boxe
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love me some chuck! I have this down my pants as we speak

5/9/13 11:18 PM
KimboByGhettoplex
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The biggest draw in MMA right now is a guy whose entire camp, gameplan, diet & nutrition program, etc. is basically boiled down to a science and designed specifically to take advantage of the 10-9 must system/unified rules style of MMA. You land the jab to set up the takedown, get the takedown to seal the round, stay on top, wait for the bell, rinse repeat X5.
5/9/13 11:21 PM
JStrongMMA
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kick Boxe -
ChokeEmOut -  It's a catch 22, one that the UFC has created and encouraged through their bullshit cutting of fighters Phone Post

/thread

Yep. Phone Post
5/9/13 11:22 PM
KimboByGhettoplex
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_UncleCreepy - 
Ministry of Truth - I love Chuck, but if he took fewer punches, his speech would be a lot clearer. I don't think he's the best to give advice about standing and banging.

He's right, we need to do our fuckin job better. I know i will in my next fight thats for sure.

You fight hard as fuck. You're fighting some of the best p4p guys every time out & laying it on the line. I doubt he's talking about you or any of the flyweights for that matter.
5/9/13 11:22 PM
catgobling

UGCTT_UncleCreepy - 

i mean its fucking awesome to financially set up your family for life.

on the flip side, it is a tragedy to degrade your communication with them, or even worse to shorten your lifetime.

perhaps the real question is
are you a martial artist or a cagefighter?
5/9/13 11:27 PM
UGCTT_UncleCreepy
1367 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KimboByGhettoplex - 
UGCTT_UncleCreepy - 

You fight hard as fuck. You're fighting some of the best p4p guys every time out & laying it on the line. I doubt he's talking about you or any of the flyweights for that matter.

thanks man i really appreciate that.
5/9/13 11:32 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
868 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_UncleCreepy - 

Get em Creepy!

5/10/13 12:10 AM
UGCTT_UncleCreepy

UGCTT_FryedTakayama - 
UGCTT_UncleCreepy - 

Get em Creepy!

will do!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.