UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Liddell: Go knock him out, finish the fight.

5/10/13 12:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JimmersonzGlove
576 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wand didnt shoot takedowns at the end of round three to win a decision. Phone Post
5/10/13 12:17 AM
ShanTheMan
924 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get that green haired fuck!

I mean good luck my friend
5/10/13 12:23 AM
falsecrack
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JimmersonzGlove -  Wand didnt shoot takedowns at the end of round three to win a decision. Phone Post

lol

5/10/13 12:24 AM
smoogy
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/10/13 12:24 AM

I don't think he's saying you should stand and wang. He's saying that if you have the advantage you should press it. There is a LOT of unnecessary lateral and backwards movement in MMA at times. Some fighters will spend the vast majority of the round shucking around and resetting at sparring intensity rather than trying to control the distance. This leads to a lot of what can be charitably described as "ultimate jousting" where setting up combinations and working on the inside are discarded in favor of shuffling about endlessly while occasionally lunging forward with a high kick or overhand right hockey punch. Chuck was never much for defense but he would keep tight distance, testing his opponent's resolve early by forcing them to either move backwards or stand their ground and try to block/parry his offense rather than dancing around it.

5/10/13 12:26 AM
12SixElbow
631 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OUT with win bonuses

IN with finish bonuses.

5/10/13 12:36 AM
Greenup
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man I miss watching the Iceman. Phone Post
5/10/13 12:38 AM
sillypants
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is this obvious quote from a 100% striker worthy of the news page on the leading MMA site in the world? Next time can't you all just write, "duh"? Phone Post
5/10/13 1:42 AM
Bailx
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thank god for chuck liddell...one of the coolest dudes to ever walk this planet
5/10/13 1:46 AM
UGCTT_CreepysStacheWax

UGCTT_UncleCreepy -
UGCTT_FryedTakayama - 
UGCTT_UncleCreepy - 
Ministry of Truth - I love Chuck, but if he took fewer punches, his speech would be a lot clearer. I don't think he's the best to give advice about standing and banging.

i disagree, i think he is the best to give advice about standing and banging.

He's right, we need to do our fuckin job better. I know i will in my next fight thats for sure.

Get em Creepy!

will do!
You. Are. The. Man. Phone Post
5/10/13 1:48 AM
UGCTT_CreepysStacheWax

FinestScotch -
sillypants -  How is this obvious quote from a 100% striker worthy of the news page on the leading MMA site in the world? Next time can't you all just write, "duh"? Phone Post

I'd much rather read a quote from a UFC legend then some crap you spewed out.

100% striker,? U forget he wrestled at cal poly? Noob. Phone Post
5/10/13 6:33 AM
JBASS
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow - 

OUT with win bonuses

IN with finish bonuses.

I've mentioned this before when threads have been discussing how to incentivize fighters to finish fights. The way I broke it down was like this:

Hypothetically, let's say that fighter X can potentially make $100 000 for a fight;

$30 000 to show and lose

$60 000 to show and win

$100 000 to show and win by finish.

As far as what Chuck is saying, I can't agree more. It sickened me to hear Jones' corner screaming 'Keep scoring! Keep scoring!' at their fighters whenever they had taken someone down. Not to mention the stuff you can regularly hear Greg Jackson saying to his fighters, things like 'you won that round 3 takedowns to zero'.

I've never understood why corners tell their guys that they've won rounds, I'd be more inclined to tell them that they may have lost so that the fighter either fights harder or looks to finish his opponent. The reality is, that's in everbodies best interests.

5/10/13 7:27 AM
Y2JB

ChokeEmOut -  It's a catch 22, one that the UFC has created and encouraged through their bullshit cutting of fighters Phone Post

I disagree, exciting fighters tend not to get cut. Chael, Hardy etc have lost several in a row and stick around then you have Fitch, one loss gone.

Prize fighting is about entertainment as much as anything, it is NOT a pure sport. The sooner people (fighters and fans) understand that, the sooner we will have better fights.
5/10/13 7:59 AM
ajsr
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think one simple solution would be for the UFC to start honouring the full duration of the contracts they offer. It's absolutely laughable that a fighter can be handed a five fight deal and then be cut immediately after two losses. I can't think of a single other sport in which contracts are so meaningless from the athlete's point of view.
5/10/13 8:27 AM
mikerobmma
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JimmersonzGlove - Wand didnt shoot takedowns at the end of round three to win a decision. Phone Post
Ka-boom.

Well played and vtfu.

Still think Chocolate Al is awesome though. But Wand is my hero. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 9:55 AM
Immaculata
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
JimmersonzGlove -  Wand didnt shoot takedowns at the end of round three to win a decision. Phone Post

Slow clap.
5/10/13 10:55 AM
6ULDV8
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whoever coined the phrase

'If you don't get the finish, you'll never win the decision.'

Should be taken behind the barn and shot.

5/10/13 11:19 AM
Trifive

This is why I don't really watch anymore. Tired of the Wall and Stall or Lay and Pray. I liked it when fighters took care of business. This sport isn't as fun anymore.
5/10/13 12:13 PM
CT81
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ajsr - I think one simple solution would be for the UFC to start honouring the full duration of the contracts they offer. It's absolutely laughable that a fighter can be handed a five fight deal and then be cut immediately after two losses. I can't think of a single other sport in which contracts are so meaningless from the athlete's point of view.
The NBA, NFL and NHL all have contracts like this. Usually there's guaranteed money or roster bonuses involved, but if you're not performing you typically get released plain and simple Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 12:30 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/10/13 12:31 PM

Chuck is awesome. I wish he was in his prime today. Chuck lived by the motto "Finish him or get finished trying". As a fan of the sport, you can only appreciate that.

Edit:

Lol, I just saw the statement above (Chuck shooting for takedowns against Wand) and it renders my statement obsolete.

5/10/13 12:52 PM
MasterofMartialArts
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow -

OUT with win bonuses

IN with finish bonuses.

This, I like Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 1:50 PM
RICKYB
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChokeEmOut - It's a catch 22, one that the UFC has created and encouraged through their bullshit cutting of fighters Phone Post
Yup Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 3:11 PM
MasterofMartialArts
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6ULDV8 -

Whoever coined the phrase

'If you don't get the finish, you'll never win the decision.'

Should be taken behind the barn and shot.

This
Also "never leave it in the hands of the judges".
Fucking stupid statement. EVERYONE would always finish fights if it was so easy. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 6:25 PM
FunDeath4u

I can not wait for The Fire Ball Kid's next fight. Any other Gomi fans out there?
5/11/13 1:02 PM
epwar
541 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana White quote saying exciting fighters won't get cut:

"When you turn on your TV set and you put down your money or you buy a ticket, that's what you expect to show up and see. As a fight fan, those are the kind of fights you want to watch. And those are the kind of fights where guys won't get cut. It's pretty easy – pretty simple."

Cuts Sam Sicilia and Kurt Holobaugh after both putting on exciting fights.
5/11/13 1:10 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's why the Iceman is such a legend. He was never in a boring fight, especially not one due to his strategy, because he was one of the best ever at focusing on fighting over getting points.

The only time he seemed to make an effort toward points over trying to put the opponent away was in the fight with Wanderlei toward the end of the round when he went for the takedown but that was an anomalous moment in a fight where he still fought to finish for most of the fight so I wouldn't really hold that against him. It's the guys like Cruz, Guida, and GSP who focus almost exclusively on winning by points over a focus on threatening and finishing that are the growing problem in the sport and spitting on the whole point of MMA in the first place.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.