UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Baptize in the name of Jesus only

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/16/13 11:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
truthisalive
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Philippians 2:9-11

9 Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor
and gave him the name above all other names,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

It states very clearly that the Name of Jesus is above all names and titles in heaven and on earth...everything that is created bows to it....There is no higher name...it is the true name of GOD....of the old testament revealed, personified, fleshed out, structured, given depth, volume, charactized...Jesus is the name of the living God...Higher than the name given of YHWH...it is that name we call, Jesus name that has the power and represents all that is called God...his pesonality...his attributes his power...all of his Reputation of all he has done past, present and future is represented in His name...and that name is JESUS.
5/16/13 12:01 PM
Kung Fu Joe
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

truthisalive - Philippians 2:9-11

9 Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor
and gave him the name above all other names,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

It states very clearly that the Name of Jesus is above all names and titles in heaven and on earth...everything that is created bows to it....There is no higher name...it is the true name of GOD....of the old testament revealed, personified, fleshed out, structured, given depth, volume, charactized...Jesus is the name of the living God...Higher than the name given of YHWH...it is that name we call, Jesus name that has the power and represents all that is called God...his pesonality...his attributes his power...all of his Reputation of all he has done past, present and future is represented in His name...and that name is JESUS.
Actually, as I mentioned, "Jesus" isn't the name written in Philippians. The name written in Paul's letter is "Iesous." And that wasn't his name, either. His name was "Yeshua."

So if you are baptizing in the name "Jesus," you are already not baptizing in the name which Paul claimed to be above all others. Phone Post
5/16/13 12:30 PM
truthisalive
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol but it is God who created all languages...why would you limit the power of God and his way of revealing his name to the world through the languages?

Its the same name in different languages...???? but when JESUS restores a pure language in the kingdom age then His name shall be one...because there will be one language

I have a hunch that...the one name...will be JESUS!

lol
5/16/13 12:52 PM
truthisalive

Edited: 05/16/13 12:54 PM
Deuteronomy 32:21

They have moved me to jealousy with that which is not god, they have provoked me to anger with their vanities: And I will moue them to jealousy with those which are not a people, I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation.

Romans 10:10-15

10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.”e 12For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

14How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!

If God is making Israel jealous to bring them back into the fold and regrafted to the true vine...then it makes sense that He WOULDN'T keep to their traditions of language and adopt the gentiles form of linguistics to define His eternal name...which is Jesus...higher than Yashua...higher than YHWH...maybe if Israel didnt get proud and fall in to that sin...that is being puffed up...maybe God would of Chose Yashua to tranlate perfectly into the english lauguage ect...but He didnt so I believe its to also provoke them to Jealousy...but this I promise...a remnant of Israel.(bloodline to Abraham in Israel) is already calling on the true name...In Jesus name....boldy.
5/16/13 1:27 PM
Kung Fu Joe
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

truthisalive - lol but it is God who created all languages...why would you limit the power of God and his way of revealing his name to the world through the languages?

Its the same name in different languages...???? but when JESUS restores a pure language in the kingdom age then His name shall be one...because there will be one language

lol
The word "Jesus" is not a translation of a name into English. It is a corruption of a name into a form easy to pronounce.

When Paul wrote "Iesous" to refer to Jesus, he wasn't translating "Yeshua" into Greek-- that would have been "Theosoterias." He was trying to write a word that sounded as similar to "Yeshua" as possible. However, the Greek language does not have the sounds that the Aramaic required, so the name ends up sounding nothing like its inspiration.

That got corrupted into Latin as "Iesus." This was further corrupted into the English word "Jesus." Expanded, phonetically, does Jee-zuss sound anything like Yehu-shua to you? Of course not.

The fact of the matter is that "Jesus" was not the actual name of the person in question, nor was it the name given by Paul as being above all names. If you have no problem baptizing in the name of Jesus, then you should have no problem baptizing according to any of Jesus' other names. Phone Post
5/16/13 1:42 PM
truthisalive

Kung Fu Joe - 
truthisalive - lol but it is God who created all languages...why would you limit the power of God and his way of revealing his name to the world through the languages?

lol
The word "Jesus" is not a translation of a name into English. It is a corruption of a name into a form easy to pronounce.

When Paul wrote "Iesous" to refer to Jesus, he wasn't translating "Yeshua" into Greek-- that would have been "Theosoterias." He was trying to write a word that sounded as similar to "Yeshua" as possible. However, the Greek language does not have the sounds that the Aramaic required, so the name ends up sounding nothing like its inspiration.

That got corrupted into Latin as "Iesus." This was further corrupted into the English word "Jesus." Expanded, phonetically, does Jee-zuss sound anything like Yehu-shua to you? Of course not.

The fact of the matter is that "Jesus" was not the actual name of the person in question, nor was it the name given by Paul as being above all names. If you have no problem baptizing in the name of Jesus, then you should have no problem baptizing according to any of Jesus' other names. Phone Post

By your way of thinking everything has to be proven and seen..how can one have faith? You use philosphies and linguistic traditions to prove you point through the perspective of man. All scripture is inspired by God himself and God Himself had hand in ensuring that the Name Jesus would spring forth from the root of his knowledge and wisdom. God is all powerful...it sounds like a calculated move by the King to make sure in that last days that the ACTUAL name of God was presented in all of of its glorious sound....Jesus....rolls of the tongue as honey and is not bitter to thy stomach...Ironic that the english language is the primary gentile language in the end times...

Jesus even says in Isaiah....

Isaiah 55:6-9

6 “Seek the Lord while he may be found;
call upon him while he is near;
7 let the wicked forsake his way,
and the unrighteous man his thoughts;
let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him,
and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
5/16/13 1:52 PM
truthisalive

Human traditions God does not care about...language interpretation, traditions of men so called knowledge that blinds them to the true light...there is natural light and there is supernatural light that comes down from the Father of lights Jesus Christ...

Colossians 2:8

See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

Mark 7:3-9

(For the Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they wash their hands, holding to the tradition of the elders, and when they come from the marketplace, they do not eat unless they wash. And there are many other traditions that they observe, such as the washing of cups and pots and copper vessels and dining couches.) And the Pharisees and the scribes asked him, “Why do your disciples not walk according to the tradition of the elders, but eat with defiled hands?” And he said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written, “‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ ..

Now here is truth revealed unto us the gentiles now whom is called to be spiritual Israel even the bride of Christ who is God in the flesh according to the rudiments of the word that from the beginning established the worlds and spread abroad the curtain of heaven...He is God from the beginning and from the beginning his name was always the same...affirmed..established and eternal that great name shared among us in joy everlasting....JESUS!

Maliachi 1:11

For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the LORD of hosts

Lord my God, Jesus your name is great among us...and we highly exalt you O King, creator of the universe and the vase expanse of the human heart...we exalt you Lord God, we extol you Lord God and we expand your one true mighty name in all directions....JESUS you are the mighty one The Lord God of Israel!
5/16/13 1:53 PM
truthisalive

BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD!
5/16/13 1:56 PM
Kung Fu Joe

truthisalive -
Kung Fu Joe - 

lol

By your way of thinking everything has to be proven and seen..how can one have faith? You use philosphies and linguistic traditions to prove you point through the perspective of man. All scripture is inspired by God himself and God Himself had hand in ensuring that the Name Jesus would spring forth from the root of his knowledge and wisdom. God is all powerful...it sounds like a calculated move by the King to make sure in that last days that the ACTUAL name of God was presented in all of of its glorious sound....Jesus....rolls of the tongue as honey and is not bitter to thy stomach...Ironic that the english language is the primary gentile language in the end times...

Jesus even says in Isaiah....

Isaiah 55:6-9

6 “Seek the Lord while he may be found;
call upon him while he is near;
7 let the wicked forsake his way,
and the unrighteous man his thoughts;
let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him,
and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
So, if someone in Greece is baptized in the name of Iesous, do you think their baptism is illegitimate?

If an Italian is baptized in the name of Gesu, were they improperly baptized?

In the Netherlands, are they wrong to baptize in the name of Jezus?

How about a Polish Christian baptized in the name of Jezusie?

You are taking the scripture to unnecessary extremes, and completely out of context, if you assert that only one single word can be used as the name by which people are baptized. Phone Post
5/16/13 2:25 PM
truthisalive

Great Points Kung Fu!

No not at all...I put my faith in God that He will guide them to all truth...and honor them in their faith knowing this first...that it all stems from the root of Gods name...but as for me...I was raised in America..I speak english...I will call on the name of JESUS...for the Polish may say the same of the name Jezusi...its the same name in root. I rejoice with them in their salvation! But if I had it my way I would attempt to baptized them in the name of JESUS! This is the name I put faith in, this is the name I called on and I was filled with the Holy Spirit as the Spirit gave me utterance!

But you..dragged Jesus name through the mud...u said it was a curruption of another name ect...you take human tradition to extremes and walk a dangerous line speaking publically about the name of above all name in english being a curruption....I belive that Jesus is the name of God in all languages..but I only know english! To me there is no other name I know..none...not even a branch from the root of the name...but Im not God his ways I dont understand but I put my faith in Him 100 percent.
5/16/13 2:27 PM
truthisalive

All I know is Jesus name...all I know is english...but to me in Gods great power Jesus is the true universal name of God...that transends all language and understanding.
5/16/13 3:09 PM
Kung Fu Joe

truthisalive - Great Points Kung Fu!

No not at all...I put my faith in God that He will guide them to all truth...and honor them in their faith knowing this first...that it all stems from the root of Gods name...but as for me...I was raised in America..I speak english...I will call on the name of JESUS...for the Polish may say the same of the name Jezusi...its the same name in root. I rejoice with them in their salvation! But if I had it my way I would attempt to baptized them in the name of JESUS! This is the name I put faith in, this is the name I called on and I was filled with the Holy Spirit as the Spirit gave me utterance!

But you..dragged Jesus name through the mud...u said it was a curruption of another name ect...you take human tradition to extremes and walk a dangerous line speaking publically about the name of above all name in english being a curruption....I belive that Jesus is the name of God in all languages..but I only know english! To me there is no other name I know..none...not even a branch from the root of the name...but Im not God his ways I dont understand but I put my faith in Him 100 percent.
Please understand, when I say the word "corruption," I mean it in the linguistic sense. I don't mean that there's any sort of moral or theological corruption.

I'm simply trying to point out that saying the modern, American word "Jesus" is the one and only theologically acceptable name for him is both anachronistic and ethnocentrically biased. I also don't believe it makes exegetical sense, in the context of the NT. Phone Post
5/16/13 3:14 PM
truthisalive

you know its a good subject one that I will admit I will definitely be giving much more attention to in study...but this I know Jesus is the name of God..I called on it in full faith that it was His name....and I was filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues as the Spirit gave me utterance...based on my experience it is Gods name...as for the greeks...polish..ect..if they use the same root name...in a different language and God for it...SWEET!!!!!! Im for God and what he chooses...you make very good points.
5/16/13 4:05 PM
HELWIG
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad everything is staying good-natured.

"Furthermore, "Yeshua" is a word meaning "salvation of YHWH" or "YHWH saves." How can you argue that "Jesus" is the name of God, not "YHWH," when "Jesus" is itself a witness that "YHWH" is the name of God."

I agree.

Secondly, were there ANY other individuals around on the planet named Jesus or Yeshua at that period in time?

Were their any other figures named Yahweh?

I dont want anyone to mistake what Im saying here.

We have some evangelicals who believe in modalism which makes this a very appealing argument.

I just dont think its honest to teach that the name of God the Father is Jesus.

5/16/13 9:06 PM
Saint Stevo

HELWIG - 

"Furthermore, "Yeshua" is a word meaning "salvation of YHWH" or "YHWH saves." How can you argue that "Jesus" is the name of God, not "YHWH," when "Jesus" is itself a witness that "YHWH" is the name of God."

I agree.

Secondly, were there ANY other individuals around on the planet named Jesus or Yeshua at that period in time?

We have some evangelicals who believe in modalism which makes this a very appealing argument.

Sure it is. Very honest. Isaiah 9:6 says that Jesus is the everlasting father. Jesus is not a representive of God but he's God manifested in the flesh 1Tim 3:16.
5/16/13 11:05 PM
MEOWticket
479 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saint Stevo -
HELWIG - 

I agree.

Sure it is. Very honest. Isaiah 9:6 says that Jesus is the everlasting father. Jesus is not a representive of God but he's God manifested in the flesh 1Tim 3:16.
When Isaiah 9:6 says that Jesus' name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, etc., it is not saying that Jesus is the eternal Father, but that he has the characteristics of God.  In other words, Jesus has all the attributes of God, including eternality.

In the ancient Jewish culture, names had meanings.  We can better understand this by noting American Indian names such as "Running Wolf" or "Fighting Bear."  The same with Jewish names.  They had meanings.  Isaac, for example, means "laughter."  Noah means "rest" or "peace."  So, when Isaiah is speaking of the name of the coming Messiah and says his name will be Mighty God, Eternal Father, etc., it is telling us about the characteristics of the Messiah to come in a prophetic manner.

If Jesus' name is "Eternal Father," then why don't we call Jesus "Eternal Father"?  For that matter, why don't we call his name "Wonderful Counselor," or "Mighty God," or "Prince of Peace"?  The text speaks of a name, yet has four things revealed in the name.  Again, this shows us that it is the characteristics of the then-coming Messiah.  The fact that the Messiah would be divine is verified in Heb. 1:3 when it says, "And He [Jesus] is the radiance of His [God] glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power..."  This also explains why Jesus said, "...He who has seen Me has seen the Father," (John 14:9).  It was because Jesus so precisely represented God the Father as His prophesied name reveals.

Hebrews 1:3-4

He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.

John 14:9

Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, "Show us the Father"?

No? Phone Post
5/16/13 11:10 PM
MEOWticket
479 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2 Timothy 3:16-17

ALL (not some) Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. Phone Post
5/17/13 1:36 PM
MEOWticket

Matthew 24:36

"But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.

Mark 13:32

"But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

If Jesus is God the Father. Then why didn't he know? Why didn't he say? If he did know then that would make Jesus a liar, then everything would be in vein!

If he is, then is it safe to teach that the Father died for our sins?

Father, Son, Holy Spirit is littered throughout the NT. Phone Post
5/17/13 2:54 PM
Saint Stevo

MEOWticket -  Matthew 24:36

"But concerning that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.

Mark 13:32

"But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

If Jesus is God the Father. Then why didn't he know? Why didn't he say? If he did know then that would make Jesus a liar, then everything would be in vein!

If he is, then is it safe to teach that the Father died for our sins?

Father, Son, Holy Spirit is littered throughout the NT. Phone Post

If you notice Jesus only states the word son. Not son of man nor son of God. He's referring to his flesh title. The son title is not eternal (1Corinth. 15:28). Jesus would be referring to flesh period. This allows Jesus to state that his human nature does not know but the divine that dwells within does.

Question on did the Father die for us. God's flesh that he dwelled in died but not his eternal spirit. This is why scripture notes that the Spirit departed.
Did we Crucify the father? Yes, here's why.

Zechariah 12:10
And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

Here the Jehovah states they shall look upon me whom they've peirced. We know that Jesus was the only one that's pierced. The Father was crucified but only his flesh died not his eternal spirit. Just like your flesh will die but your soul will flee to Up or down. :)
5/18/13 6:06 PM
the rooster

helwig, what is the name of God? The bible reveals that Jesus bore the name of the Father.

Jesus' name has YH as part of it's root name.

(by the way, I believe that baptism in the root language of the country is biblical...yeshua, yesus, etc.

5/19/13 5:33 PM
HELWIG

Weve stumbled into full blown PATRIPASSIONISM and are teaching that God the Father physically suffered and died on the cross now?

Oh no. No, no, no, no, no.

Good to see you too, Rooster! Still doing BJJ?

"helwig, what is the name of God?"

I would say it is YHWH, what we believe was pronounced close to "Yahweh".

5/21/13 10:08 PM
the rooster

helwig: Weve stumbled into full blown PATRIPASSIONISM and are teaching that God the Father physically suffered and died on the cross now?

Oh no. No, no, no, no, no.

me: Helwig my friend, Jesus is God. Patripassionism decried that the "Father" could suffer on the cross because He was God.

Yet, it's not paradoxal to proclaim that Jesus, who you believe to also believe is God, could not suffer on the cross?

We both agree Jesus was God and divine. So whatever the thelogical term used as a pejorative against those that maintain the strict monotheism of God, is irrelevant.

The truth is that God experienced His creation in Christ. he experienced hunger not in His Spirit (which is never hungry, or tired, or sick, etc) but as a man. As God in christ, reconciling the world.

helwig: Good to see you too, Rooster! Still doing BJJ?

me: yep...45 and still ticking! God my brown belt from a world class bjj stud about a year ago and working towards my black belt. I teach at a Judo club (where I have my blackbelt) and teach judo and core bjj for judo.

Having a blast! how about you?

you: I would say it is YHWH, what we believe was pronounced close to "Yahweh".

me: but you understand that the name Jesus is YH...has become our salvation (because YH came as man to reconcile His creation)

5/23/13 8:01 AM
the rooster

By the way Helwig, whose name or title would you say is Higher...Jesus (Yeshua) or Yhwh (or Jehovah)? Thanks!
5/23/13 10:09 AM
Kung Fu Joe

the rooster - By the way Helwig, whose name or title would you say is Higher...Jesus (Yeshua) or Yhwh (or Jehovah)? Thanks!
I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding in what is meant by "name," in these passages.

The Hebrew word "shem" and the Greek "onoma" meant more in the ancient world than just a word by which a person is called. It bore a connotation of that person's whole reputation. A name wasn't just a word-- it was a summary of being.

Paul wasn't talking about the word "Jesus." He was talking about Jesus' reputation, authority, and legacy. Paul likely knew dozens of men named "Jesus." It was a very common name, in 1st Century Judaea.

If Paul meant that the word "Jesus" was above all other words used as names, then he is saying that Jesus Barabbas had a name above all names (Matt 27:16). That Jesus son of Jehozadak had a name above all names (Zech 6:11). Or Jesus son of Eliezer (Luke 3:29). Or Jesus called Justus (Col 4:11). Or Jesus conqueror of Jericho (Acts 7:45).

But that's not what Paul meant.

He meant "name" to mean the reputation or familial legacy of Jesus. When people of the ancient world talked about the "name of Caesar," for example, they weren't just referring to Gaius Julius or to Augustus or to Tiberius. They were referring to all of the accomplishments and authority and power that accompanies that family.

Paul, too, is talking about the "name above every name" in this manner. He's not talking about a word. He is talking about legacy and authority and power. Phone Post
5/23/13 9:10 PM
Saint Stevo

Kung Fu Joe - 
the rooster - By the way Helwig, whose name or title would you say is Higher...Jesus (Yeshua) or Yhwh (or Jehovah)? Thanks!
I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding in what is meant by "name," in these passages.

The Hebrew word "shem" and the Greek "onoma" meant more in the ancient world than just a word by which a person is called. It bore a connotation of that person's whole reputation. A name wasn't just a word-- it was a summary of being.

Paul wasn't talking about the word "Jesus." He was talking about Jesus' reputation, authority, and legacy. Paul likely knew dozens of men named "Jesus." It was a very common name, in 1st Century Judaea.

If Paul meant that the word "Jesus" was above all other words used as names, then he is saying that Jesus Barabbas had a name above all names (Matt 27:16). That Jesus son of Jehozadak had a name above all names (Zech 6:11). Or Jesus son of Eliezer (Luke 3:29). Or Jesus called Justus (Col 4:11). Or Jesus conqueror of Jericho (Acts 7:45).

But that's not what Paul meant.

He meant "name" to mean the reputation or familial legacy of Jesus. When people of the ancient world talked about the "name of Caesar," for example, they weren't just referring to Gaius Julius or to Augustus or to Tiberius. They were referring to all of the accomplishments and authority and power that accompanies that family.

Paul, too, is talking about the "name above every name" in this manner. He's not talking about a word. He is talking about legacy and authority and power. Phone Post

So according to your teaching here. When Paul would state Joshua he means every Joshua is God manifest in the flesh or Every Joshua that existed has the same name Emmanuel meaning God with us or according to your Hebrew teaching your pointing out that every Joshua that's ever existed is the everlasting father and mighty God? In other words Paul in the end didn't know what he was talking about correct?

Isaiah 9:6
1Tim.3:16
Matthew 1:23

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.