UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Roger Gracie teaching his mounted cross choke

5/10/13 8:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Claude Patrick
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No better source of details than Roger on this one.. Very few if any competitiors finished the mounted cross choke with his frequency.. If any speaks portuguese feel free to layout the larger details
5/10/13 9:19 AM
krept
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool, I haven't see that one thanks.

Here is a vid from his BB Nic Gregoriades that covers a lot of the details, with additional tips on the first grip

Direct links:

Roger

Nic
5/10/13 9:21 AM
deepu
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
5/10/13 9:38 AM
JoejitsuMD
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
5/10/13 9:43 AM
tjmitch
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in
5/10/13 11:07 AM
matthias
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome details in that second vid Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 11:35 AM
mrgoodarmbar
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've watched these vids so many times and decided to started focusing on the cross choke when I got to mount... The detail that has lead the my biggest improvement so far is that the forearm needs to pin the opponents head to the mat and turn it away from the hand.

If you just scrape across the face, you may turn his chin away, but his head is pretty much in the same place. By pressuring his head down against the mat and rolling his head it doesn't just turn face away, it also moves his entire head and opens that angle between his head and shoulder. It also forces his neck into your other forearm.
5/10/13 12:03 PM
icon115
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
5/10/13 12:04 PM
biggator
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice
5/10/13 1:38 PM
Methodaab
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
5/10/13 1:51 PM
kying418
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mrgoodarmbar - I've watched these vids so many times and decided to started focusing on the cross choke when I got to mount... The detail that has lead the my biggest improvement so far is that the forearm needs to pin the opponents head to the mat and turn it away from the hand.

If you just scrape across the face, you may turn his chin away, but his head is pretty much in the same place. By pressuring his head down against the mat and rolling his head it doesn't just turn face away, it also moves his entire head and opens that angle between his head and shoulder. It also forces his neck into your other forearm.

Thanks for pointing this out!
5/10/13 5:06 PM
acm5060
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mrgoodarmbar - I've watched these vids so many times and decided to started focusing on the cross choke when I got to mount... The detail that has lead the my biggest improvement so far is that the forearm needs to pin the opponents head to the mat and turn it away from the hand.

Which forearm? Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 5:40 PM
The Mat Pimp
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My best submission.
5/10/13 7:09 PM
dking
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
5/10/13 7:24 PM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 9:09 PM
mrgoodarmbar
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

acm5060 - 
mrgoodarmbar - I've watched these vids so many times and decided to started focusing on the cross choke when I got to mount... The detail that has lead the my biggest improvement so far is that the forearm needs to pin the opponents head to the mat and turn it away from the hand.

Which forearm? Phone Post 3.0

The second arm, that is reaching across. Look at Roger's left forearm @ 2:03.

2 add'l details that have helped....

1) I like to start mount with a cross face, threatening an ezekial at first.. Before starting into the cross choke, I use the hand that was cross facing him, to grab the back of his gi and pull it a bit to loosen it up. When your opponent is shrimping away from you, the gi get can pretty tight up top.

2) I like to turn by hips a bit, not as much as s-mount, just enough to make it more natural to keep the blade of my forearm against his neck. It also makes posting with head a bit easier as well.

5/10/13 9:29 PM
JESK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ltr Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 10:28 PM
flowwiththego
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In here Phone Post 3.0
5/11/13 1:21 AM
Fracture
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
5/11/13 2:43 AM
shen
890 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That would never work.
5/11/13 11:00 AM
russkisambist
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the latest Gracie documentary I saw Rolls doing that choke that way in practice Phone Post 3.0
5/11/13 3:35 PM
Soul Gravy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
5/12/13 3:31 AM
The Acorn
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow much appreciated. Phone Post 3.0
5/12/13 6:03 AM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
5/12/13 6:14 AM
JSho
339 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - That would never work.

agreed, it's pretty tiresome to see these no name Brazilians putting out instructionals when they can't back it up in competition.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.