UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> XFC Champion Newell stripped of Lightweight Title

5/10/13 12:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BrookLA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From the desk: XFC President discusses Nick Newell's unwillingness to defend his title.

...."Listen, when Nick came to us at the XFC Tryouts, his biggest complaint was that no one would take a fight against him. Everyone was telling him, it's a no-win situation taking the fight. If you beat him, you beat a guy with half an arm.... and if you lose, you just lost to a guy with half an arm. He knew by signing with our promotion that he was going to be guaranteed fights, as our fighters fight the person I put in front of them. Nick built his name on fighters who were willing to step up and fight him. And now, the opportunity he received, he is not willing to extend to Scott, even though they both carry the same XFC record (4-0). To me, that's hypocritical and I have zero respect and no room for any individual that acts like that in my organization."

Read the full article here

5/10/13 12:17 PM
caseharts
409 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA, Owner
What's newells explanation Phone Post
5/10/13 12:22 PM
Kerouac

Kinda harsh words there Mr.President.

:Why do you think Nick was not willing to fight Scott?

I think Nick knows what I believe. He was going to lose. Nick knows he can’t defend himself when someone like Scott puts him on his back. I believe Scott is one of the most talented 155ers on the planet. He’s training on the west coast right now with Benson Henderson for that very reason. In my eyes, I saw the fight going 1st round stoppage – Holtzman by ground and pound."

Bias much?
5/10/13 12:23 PM
Kerouac

caseharts -  What's newells explanation Phone Post

Supposedly it's that he only wants fights with ex-UFC fighters.
5/10/13 12:24 PM
Raxbot
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lame
5/10/13 12:26 PM
zebers3
524 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah pretty harsh for the president to say his champ was scared he was going to lose. But, it's also pretty greasy for Newell to be turning down opponents. He's in XFC, who does he expect to face? He should just keep beating guys until he cannot be denied.

If he were to lose to a 4-0 newcomer in XFC then he doesn't deserve to be in the UFC anyways.
5/10/13 12:29 PM
Master of Cool
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What? Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 12:30 PM
caseharts
409 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA, Owner
Kerouac - 
caseharts -  What's newells explanation Phone Post

Supposedly it's that he only wants fights with ex-UFC fighters.

he wants name fighters, but he needs to rack up wins.

Bad strategy, he doesnt have to build himself up that big/ The ufc knows about him but he has to keep winning. 

5/10/13 12:31 PM
bearockbrobama
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow both sound like idiots given the above explanations and nothing else. Phone Post
5/10/13 12:42 PM
Card
2123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.officialxfc.com/nick-newell-unwilling-to-defend-title/

They are both 4-0... seems like a good fight.

5/10/13 12:46 PM
XFO MMA
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't believe John would make this public like that.  There has gotta be more to the story.  

5/10/13 12:46 PM
aaronlynton
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gotta defend the title, c'mon man!! If you want to be in the UFC that is Phone Post
5/10/13 12:47 PM
bearockbrobama
242 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just posted to MMAJUNKIE Phone Post
5/10/13 12:48 PM
caseharts

Pugilistics MMA, Owner
bearockbrobama -
Just posted to MMAJUNKIE Phone Post
Someone's trolling Phone Post
5/10/13 12:49 PM
Card
2123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

XFC 24 set, but Newell-Holtzman title fight pulled (updated)

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/05/xfc-24-card-set-with-six-main-card-bouts-including-newell-holtzman-title-fight

^ title changed.

5/10/13 12:50 PM
zebers3
524 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah Junkie just posted that article but they also just updated it saying that the title fight was pulled.
5/10/13 12:52 PM
bearockbrobama

Ahh thanks guys Phone Post
5/10/13 1:13 PM
Chris27

Dam that sucks, he has a tougher time than most trying to get into the UFC because of his hand, he won the title and thought that would be enough to get into the UFC.

I wonder if he feels risking a loss now would keep him from the UFC so he doesnt want to do it, or atleast do it against someone that isnt a name.

Risk/reward. If he takes out a bigger name its worth it cause UFC might notice, if he risks it against a prospect he doesnt really gain anything from beating him.

Still this sucks, he was the main reason to watch that card.
5/10/13 1:32 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
839 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn not good

5/10/13 1:47 PM
caposa
1764 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Harsh words from the XFC prez, but I bet he isn't happy. Risky move by Newell.

5/10/13 1:56 PM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess its understandable.. but may turn out to be a bad move Phone Post
5/10/13 1:58 PM
yellow wrkahlc

WelshWarrior - I guess its understandable.. but may turn out to be a bad move Phone Post
Understandable or not, Nick's wrong.

When you fight for the belt, you accept the responsibility of defending it should you win. He won, and he's the champion. Therefore, he needs to defend his championship no matter the challenger. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 2:24 PM
SilverSpoon1996

Nick should sue XFC, for discrimination, he should retain the title til beaten, you are a light weight and want to fight, but dont want to fight a a one handed man, sign somewhere else. Not everyone in the world is going to make it to the grand stage of UFC, or whatever organization they would like to fight for. If you want to fight in XFC go for it, if you want to fight for the championship, you fight there best light weight, Nick just happens to be him, one handed or not, kid is 4-0, want the belt, you need to take it.

XFC is wrong, very wrong. Its not like this guy is mentally limited, if he knows what hes doing, then hes welcome to fight, and anyone who has balls enough to fight him should do so. If people dont want to fight Nick, you cant have the belt.
5/10/13 2:26 PM
caposa
1764 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SilverSpoon1996 - Nick should sue XFC, for discrimination, he should retain the title til beaten, you are a light weight and want to fight, but dont want to fight a a one handed man, sign somewhere else. Not everyone in the world is going to make it to the grand stage of UFC, or whatever organization they would like to fight for. If you want to fight in XFC go for it, if you want to fight for the championship, you fight there best light weight, Nick just happens to be him, one handed or not, kid is 4-0, want the belt, you need to take it.

XFC is wrong, very wrong. Its not like this guy is mentally limited, if he knows what hes doing, then hes welcome to fight, and anyone who has balls enough to fight him should do so. If people dont want to fight Nick, you cant have the belt.

I think you may have misread the OP. Newell is the one apparently refusing to defend his belt

5/10/13 2:28 PM
Vulva Fabulous
837 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kingfanpaul -

Guess he shouldn't try to hand pick his opponents.

I see what you did there Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.