UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> XFC Champion Newell stripped of Lightweight Title

5/10/13 2:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rudi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kingfanpaul -

Guess he shouldn't try to hand pick his opponents.

Lol Phone Post
5/10/13 2:47 PM
Tat2tillidie
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa -

Harsh words from the XFC prez, but I bet he isn't happy. Risky move by Newell.

Indeed ... Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 3:07 PM
mmavixen
1121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There has to be more to this story...Newell is a great guy and a hunble one.

I'll reserve judgment until I hear his side.  

5/10/13 3:08 PM
WhoShotYushinOkami
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So first he tries to pressure his way to the UFC through the media.

Then he turns down fight on the regional circuit.

Wow this kid obviously has all the answers.

I simply cant imagine why Joe Silva and Dana arent feverishly working on signing him!

5/10/13 3:20 PM
halfninja
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stripping him of his belt is kind of 'under handed'. If you ask me.
5/10/13 3:23 PM
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It wasn't me, it was the one armed man!
5/10/13 3:24 PM
TheHebrewHammer
469 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He should either defend his title or just hand back his title Phone Post
5/10/13 3:27 PM
ClassicMacGruber

Not sure what other side you all need to hear. He has one fight left on his contract, he was given his opponent, he refuses to sign the bout agreement because his opponent "isn't a name". Period. End of story. Newell is a hypocrite. Phone Post
5/10/13 3:32 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

This will sound terrible but:

With the UFC's push to go mainstream would it be ill advised to hire a fighter with a stump?

Can you imagine the public outcry! The media would accuse the UFC of all sorts of barbarism.

I'm all in support of fighters like Nick, I just think the media would use it against the UFC. The Culinary Union would have a field day too. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 3:51 PM
Xspur
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure how he rationalized this. I understand the fear of losing momentum and value, but the promotion was willing to match any other offer he had, and he was the champ. Turning down a fight is not going to move you up on the UFC's want list. If anything its going to hurt your credibility and reputation. Maybe he didn't think it would go public.
I'm interested to hear his side of the story, but can't think of anything that would justify his decision.
When all is said and done, its his life, his career, and his decision the he will have to live with and learn from. Phone Post
5/10/13 3:53 PM
Card
2329 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/10/13 3:53 PM
Vulva Fabulous
951 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kingfanpaul -
Vulva Fabulous - 
Kingfanpaul -

Guess he shouldn't try to hand pick his opponents.

I see what you did there Phone Post

What? I don't know what you're talking about.....lol.

Maybe it's because I read posts in an Austin Powers voice. Phone Post
5/10/13 3:54 PM
yellow wrkahlc

Card -

I agree, you should point elbows. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 4:00 PM
UGCTT_chuckles1
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WOW Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 4:02 PM
Chris27

Dam yellow

anyway ok whats his side to the story, give someone an interview and explain.

5/10/13 4:13 PM
cripplersc
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nicks a cool dude. I want to heat his side of the story. Phone Post
5/10/13 4:15 PM
GregNoActionJackson
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cripplersc - Nicks a cool dude. I want to heat his side of the story. Phone Post
Heat it to medium rare, just the way the UG likes it Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 4:26 PM
Pride Wanderlei

SilverSpoon1996 - Nick should sue XFC, for discrimination, he should retain the title til beaten, you are a light weight and want to fight, but dont want to fight a a one handed man, sign somewhere else. Not everyone in the world is going to make it to the grand stage of UFC, or whatever organization they would like to fight for. If you want to fight in XFC go for it, if you want to fight for the championship, you fight there best light weight, Nick just happens to be him, one handed or not, kid is 4-0, want the belt, you need to take it.

XFC is wrong, very wrong. Its not like this guy is mentally limited, if he knows what hes doing, then hes welcome to fight, and anyone who has balls enough to fight him should do so. If people dont want to fight Nick, you cant have the belt.
You haven't read a word of this, have you? Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 4:37 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

Chris27 - Dam that sucks, he has a tougher time than most trying to get into the UFC because of his hand, he won the title and thought that would be enough to get into the UFC.

I wonder if he feels risking a loss now would keep him from the UFC so he doesnt want to do it, or atleast do it against someone that isnt a name.

Risk/reward. If he takes out a bigger name its worth it cause UFC might notice, if he risks it against a prospect he doesnt really gain anything from beating him.

Still this sucks, he was the main reason to watch that card.
The problem with that is that he's not in a position to pick fights. Phone Post
5/10/13 6:20 PM
n3g
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I train at FAA with Nick quite often. The story I have heard...

They were paying him BS money so he left the XFC to pursue bigger and better things. They are full of shit on matching contracts. Now they are mad and are spouting lies.

Trust me if Nick wanted to fight for them, and they told him you have to fight this guy or we have to strip your title. He would fight him without batting an eye. Nick is one of the most fearless, mentally tough fighters I know.

I mean he gets in the cage and fights professionals with one hand and they are questioning his heart and toughness. Its just laughable.. They should be ashamed of themselves.

This is classic sour grapes by the XFC. They lost 2 big draws in Herrig and Newell. They are just bashing him to try to save face.
5/10/13 6:40 PM
Mark_Daniels
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick had an opt-out clause in his contract after three fights. He fought four times and wanted to fight a UFC veteran next. XFC, however, wanted to match him up with a fighter who is 4-0. Nick then decided to opt out of his contract, like he could.

It's his career, he can do whatever he wants. XFC should have never announced a fight that wasn't agreed upon in the first place.

5/10/13 6:47 PM
Burt Reynoldz
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe Nick is trying to get into a future TUF house.  Smart if that's the case.

5/10/13 6:50 PM
caposa
1844 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice info in the last few posts, thanks

5/10/13 7:01 PM
cripplersc
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even if XFC is bad mouthing him for " promotional purposes" its not a good look for the company. Makes them look pretty unprofessional. Especially seeing he's not even under contract with them anymore. Hopefully we'll see him on TUF or even on that new Bellator reality show Phone Post
5/10/13 7:19 PM
RazorMMA
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kingfanpaul -

He only wants tough fights vs ex-UFC fighters, he's not looking for any handouts.

I see what you did there as well. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.