UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC not in need of a 'US born white champion'

5/10/13 3:12 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
924 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Bleacher Report recently published a typical piece titled "20 Fighters the UFC Should Build Its Future Around." It included a section on Chris Weidman, who author Dan Hiergesell ranked #2.

Chris Weidman at No. 2? Abso-freaking-lutely.

The UFC would certainly enjoy Weidman's presence atop the middleweight division.  He also creates problems for any fighter, which includes the always-elusive Anderson Silva, by implementing pesky wrestling, crisp boxing and forceful jiu-jitsu.

Respect his resume or not, the New Yorker knows how to win.

Editor's Note: Revisions have been made to this slide in accordance with B/R editorial policy.

Read entire article...

The unfortunate, atypical passage that was edited out was:
"The bottom line is that the UFC is in need of an American-born white champion."

The author is wrong, and the editors were right to removed the text. The author was wrong too that Weidman would create problems for Anderson Silva, among other things, but that is another story. This story is about race.

For generations boxing was based on ethnicity. An Irish fighter vs an Italian was a money headliner for 70 years or more. Now both Irish and Italian are considered white.

One of the many admirable things about MMA is that it is moving past race. The most beloved fighter in our sport is Wanderlei Silva, who is whatever color he is. Some Brazilian Portuguese figures in our sport refer to themselves as being White back home. In the US they are Latino, but not Hispanic.

Does even one, singe fan care if Wand is Latino race, Hispanic race, White race, or Human race?

When JDS fought Cain was that a Latino vs. a Hispanic fight? What does that mean, anyway?

What race is BJ Penn? His dad is Irish American and his mom is a third generation Korean-American. Would he be more popular if he was whiter?

What race is GSP? He talks a little funny, in English. GSP is kinda ethnic looking French speaking Canadian race I guess. Carlos Newton used to hold his title. Is Newton Black? Or is he Canadian? David Loiseau is a Canadian of Hatian descent. Is 'The Crow' black too?

Ronda Rousey is 1/8 black - her great-grandfather was the black Trinidad-Canadian Dr. Alfred Waddell. Does even a single fan care?

Benson Henderson is the African American Korean race.

Dominick Cruz is Mexican American, and Jose Aldo is Brazilian of Portuguese descent. Are they the same race?

The scariest Hells Angel who ever lived was 'Mom' Boucher and he had a bodyguard of Hatian descent named Gregory Wooley, who is reported to be full-patch member of HA. If those guys can get over it, please, God, let the rest of the planet.

Cultural heritage is a tremendous strength; dividing the world into colors is stupid, at very best. It is one of MMA's many great strengths that color divisions don't carry much weight.

The UFC does not need an American-born white champion, it needs needs the best man to win.

5/10/13 3:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ShoreBreaker420
987 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reaching Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 3:19 PM
yellow wrkahlc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weidman's from New York too and you can't get anymore American than that, right? Yes, right. Okay.

-Dumbass Author Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 3:24 PM
Pancake Syrup
518 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh bleacher report
5/10/13 3:28 PM
Davis gave me a Vaginal Tear
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We had an American white champion. ( Frankie Edger). Know what happened? Average PPV sales. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 3:33 PM
Doem

to much will be made of this dumbass's post as is often the case with regards to the words of idiots.

but how could he be more wrong? UFC actually got good when you had people like silva, rampage, the nogs, BJ, take their titles. Before that you couldn't look at rich franklin, or Sylvia, or Mir, or AA, or Sherk, or lidell and say they were the best in the world because they obviously were not.

and look at UFC payper views since then. this guy is a retarded.
5/10/13 3:36 PM
Chromium
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was going to respond to that article, but then I realized I'd have to make an account at Bleacher Report.

5/10/13 4:13 PM
Chromium
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Davis gave me a Vaginal Tear - We had an American white champion. ( Frankie Edger). Know what happened? Average PPV sales. Phone Post 3.0

Well below average, actually.

Anyway while I think national representation is a valid thing to be concerned about, bringing race into it is dumb, because the only thing that race adds to this is quite literally it just makes it easier to tell folks apart (see Jim Miller vs. Pat Healy as the most recent example of a mirror match). I'm a white guy, and the time I feel most "represented" is when Mike Easton steps into the ring with his DC Native shirt, as we both happen to be born and raised in the District of Columbia.

5/10/13 4:52 PM
DoomFarmer

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/198/010/tysonreaction.gif Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 4:57 PM
Brian Rule
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who's the author here? "UG Blog" or someone else? I agree with the sentiment but either way a name should be attached.
5/10/13 4:59 PM
ABE FROMAN
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread will bring out the best in the UG.

5/10/13 5:03 PM
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DoomFarmer - http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/198/010/tysonreaction.gif Phone Post 3.0
Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 5:05 PM
Chromium

Willy the Coyote -  If you he had said they need a black champ would people care? Phone Post

In 2006, when there were 4 whitebread American champions (technically 5 for about 20 minutes between the time Sean Sherk won his title and Rich Franklin lost his), yes, that would have been just as dumb to say. The UFC needs champions who draw, period, not white or black or Asian or Hispanic ones. Randy Couture beating Tim Sylvia was amazing. Anderson Silva losing to Chris Weidman would be disastrous, at least to me. And I'd love to see Ian McCall beat Demetrious Johnson at some point (nothing against DJ, just much love for Uncle Creepy and I thought he won the first fight).

Great and entertaining fighters come in all colors because they happen to, not because they need to.

5/10/13 5:08 PM
Jons Forsberg

the UFC needs a Floyd Mayweather, a black gangster that everyone loves to hate. 900k buys against a virtually unknown oppoent last Saturday.
5/10/13 5:09 PM

Jons Forsberg - the UFC needs a Floyd Mayweather, a black gangster that everyone loves to hate. 900k buys against a virtually unknown oppoent last Saturday.
We have a black Christian that everyone loves to hate. It doesn't have the same effect on PPV buys though :( Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 5:10 PM
Rudi

Jons Forsberg - the UFC needs a Floyd Mayweather, a black gangster that everyone loves to hate. 900k buys against a virtually unknown oppoent last Saturday.
Jon jones? Phone Post
5/10/13 5:11 PM
yellow wrkahlc

Davis gave me a Vaginal Tear -
We have a black Christian that everyone loves to hate. It doesn't have the same effect on PPV buys though :( Phone Post 3.0
I don't hate Benson. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/13 5:11 PM
Jons Forsberg

I think Bones haters are mostly in the UG. He is like Lebron, great athlete but a total bore in real life.
5/10/13 5:12 PM
Rudi

yellow wrkahlc -
Davis gave me a Vaginal Tear -
I don't hate Benson. Phone Post 3.0
Lol!!!!! ^^

But yeah. Jon Jones is not a christian. Phone Post
DamnSevern
1185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mods please move to stormfront

TheHaunted2

Bleacheracist report Phone Post
5/10/13 5:13 PM
duckhuntgangsta
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Davis gave me a Vaginal Tear - 

Boxing has a more established causal fan base and Jon Jones is about as Christian as I am gangsta....

5/10/13 5:15 PM
Authority Figure

Willy the Coyote - If you he had said they need a black champ would people care? Phone Post
He didn't though. Phone Post
5/10/13 5:26 PM
UGPTT_Rear Naked Chode
356 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duckhuntgangsta - 
Davis gave me a Vaginal Tear - 

Boxing has a more established causal fan base and Jon Jones is about as Christian as I am gangsta....

Pics of your gang tats or it didn't happen.
5/10/13 5:57 PM
Glovegate

"When JDS fought Cain was that a Latino vs. a Hispanic fight? What does that mean, anyway?"

It was a fairly white guy from Brazil vs an American born Latino pretending to rep Mexico.  There's a reason why Cain fought both JDS and Brock in California.  There's a reason why Dana was pissed when JDS KO'd Cain in front of 10,000 "La Raza".

The UFC plays up the race angle because as much as people all over the continent claim to be so enlightened and colour-blind, when you get right down to it most people are bigoted to some degree.  Fact is, people do care.

Sadly.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.