UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rebney fires back at Alvarez

5/11/13 4:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
crwhitlock
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator Fan - Bellator only had to match the guaranteed $$ and they did. It's amazing that people still can't figure that out. Phone Post 3.0

Your just a mouthpiece for Bjorn and his bullshit. The contract said nothing about guaranteed money. That's why the case is going to trial. If the contract stated Bellator only had to match guaranteed money, it wouldn't be going to trial. It would be an open and shut case. Eddie would be with Bellator. Bellator's interpretation of the contract is that they only had to match guaranteed money. That's why it's going to trial. To see whose interpretation is correct. Bottom line is the contract stated to retain Alvarez Bellator had to pay him the exact amount as any other company was offering. Their not doing that. Eddie will make millions less with Bellator. That isn't matching the offer. It's attempting to use a legal loophole to screw over a young man and forever change his life and the life of his family.
5/11/13 5:06 AM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crwhitlock - 
Bellator Fan - That's all speculative. Eddie signed a contract saying he would stay with Bellator if they matched the guaranteed $$ and they did. Eddie will lose in court and he knows it. Phone Post 3.0

Speculative? No it's a fact. We have the PPV numbers, we have the UFC offer. Had he fought on the card that's exactly what he would have made. Maybe he will lose in court with an incompetent judge but that doesn't make it right. Your rooting for a fighter to lose millions of dollars.

Source on the ufc offer??
5/11/13 5:12 AM
12SixElbow
615 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crwhitlock - 
12SixElbow - 

Eddie is in the wrong here IMO.

He signed the contract, finish out the contract.

Instead he is posting on twitter that he is going to go do bareknuckle fights in Florida to keep sharp, and whining about selling his second investment property in Florida, etc.... Eddie comes off TERRIBLE here IMO. The UFC doesn't let people out of contracts, they've gone to court with Penn, Couture, Tito, etc.... Bellator says it flat out, they aren't trying to be a feeder organization.

Yes he signed a contract, and fulfilled that contract. In order to retain him past that point Bellator had to match any monetary offer Eddie received. Well had Eddie fought for the UFC on the GSP/Diaz card like he was offered to do, he would have made around $1.5 million in PPV money alone, not including his base pay and signing bonus. Bellator matched everything except the little $1.5 million "in one fight" part. Hard to call that a monetary match. Thus his Bellator contract should be null and void. They told the judge they "could" put on a PPV too. Which they've never done in the history of the company mind you. And do you think it would have done 800,000 buys if somehow they did do a PPV?

PPV money is not a guarantee, correct?

It is your opinion that the Bellator contract should be null and void, I wonder why a judge didn't see it that way? There has to be a reason, I'm no lawyer, but I'm sure the judges handling this know what they're doing.

5/11/13 5:14 AM
12SixElbow

crwhitlock - 
Bellator Fan - "Speculative? No it's a fact. We have the PPV numbers, we have the UFC offer. Had he fought on the card that's exactly what he would have made. Maybe he will lose in court with an incompetent judge but that doesn't make it right. Your rooting for a fighter to lose millions of dollars."

It was speculative at the time and after the fact doesn't change that. That's like saying NOW we know for sure he would've made that much. At the time of the match that was all speculation and the judge agreed. Phone Post 3.0

No the judge did not agree to anything other than that it needed to go to trial. The only reason the judge didn't give Eddie the injunction to fight on that UFC PPV was this.. He asked the Bellator attorneys if they had a PPV ready for Eddie to fight on and they said Yes we do. Bellator has never done a PPV in the history of the company. They had no intention of doing a PPV. Their business is not a PPV model. Even if the did somehow manage to put on a PPV, they would have been lucky to do 100,000 buys. Probably more like 10,000 buys. GSP has never done a PPV lower than 700k buys. It was speculative no more than the sun is going to rise tomorrow.

Not trying to be a dick here, but if this is true, why did the judge say it needs to go to trial?

If it was so clean cut black and white like you're saying?

5/11/13 5:15 AM
Thacommish
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12SixElbow - 
crwhitlock - 
Bellator Fan - That's all speculative. Eddie signed a contract saying he would stay with Bellator if they matched the guaranteed $$ and they did. Eddie will lose in court and he knows it. Phone Post 3.0

Speculative? No it's a fact. We have the PPV numbers, we have the UFC offer. Had he fought on the card that's exactly what he would have made. Maybe he will lose in court with an incompetent judge but that doesn't make it right. Your rooting for a fighter to lose millions of dollars.

In addition, Zuffa currently has a standing offer to Alvarez for a bout at UFC 159 in late April, but has altered its original contract offer to include the pay-per-view revenue perk (in addition to the negotiated $75,000 show and $75, 000 win purses), despite it not being a title fight. According to Alvarez's UFC offer, included in Bellator's complaint, the fighter stands to make an additional $1.00 for every buy between 200,000-400,000 units, $2.00 for each buy sold between 400,000- 600,000 units and $2.50 for each buy sold over 600,000 units. However, Zuffa contends it must have Alvarez's unfettered commitment by Jan. 27 to get the full 90 days it says it needs to properly promote the bout.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mma/news/20130120/eddie-alvarez-counterclaim-against-bellator/#ixzz2SyQoa7Pg
2 bucks per unit it sold 500k units, das a cool mil.
5/11/13 5:19 AM
12SixElbow

Seems like THIS was the problem...

So the trouble perhaps is that the UFC isn't promising Eddie PPV points....

5/11/13 5:21 AM
12SixElbow

Huey Freeman - Anyone think this might be great publicity fir Bellator?

To the average guy this associates Bellator to be on an equal footing with the UFC.

The problem has always been that people feel like they are watching b level mma when in reality that's not the case, look at what the strike force guys have done since
Moving over.

I think it's a calculated move on Rebneys part, probably didn't start that way but ended up that way, the problem is that Eddie is getting fucked over big time. Phone Post 3.0

How is he getting fucked over?

If the "intends to" information is correct, then Bellator matched everything the UFC offered.

Why would they word things intend to in a contract? Why not gaurentee?

Either way, his manager / Legal team should have done a better job of explaining to Eddie that the contract could basically mean he never gets to leave Bellator (So long as they keep matching).

5/11/13 5:28 AM
Kentpaul
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let the courts decide who is telling the truth before we start mud slinging
5/11/13 6:06 AM
TheIronCodpiece
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like the only way for Eddie to get out of this is to start calling Bjorn, 'Massuh'

5/11/13 6:51 AM
Bobby Lupo
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Somebody really thinks that Eddie Alvarez, the #15 lightweight in the world, not on any kind of winning streak or any org's champion, was going to make $250k to sign then another $1.5m just to be on the undercard of the GSP-Diaz PPV?

In real life? You really believe this?

5/11/13 8:16 AM
All My Holes Overflowing With Jones' CREam
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby Lupo - 

Somebody really thinks that Eddie Alvarez, the #15 lightweight in the world, not on any kind of winning streak or any org's champion, was going to make $250k to sign then another $1.5m just to be on the undercard of the GSP-Diaz PPV?

Yes.

Eddie is a good person and excellent fighter as far as entertaining goes and had some quality scratch coming his way.

Eddie's fights are almost always epic back and forth FOTY type of fights, a couple off the top of my head Kawajiri/Alvarez and Chandler/Alvarez. Plus he has the look.

5/11/13 8:49 AM
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crwhitlock - 
Bellator Fan - Eddie wanted Bellator to match or exceed it and now he's butthurt. They matched the $$ and now he's stuck. Dumb move but typical of fighters. Phone Post 3.0

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people assume your unintelligent then open it and remove all doubt. A piece of advice you may want to take to heart bud. Eddie would have made $1.5 million dollars on his first UFC fight had he not been tied up in this mess. That's PPV money alone, not including his base pay and signing bonus. Using the word "butthurt" to describe a man losing millions of dollars..

lol the pot calling the kettle black,how do you come up w/them #'S

5/11/13 9:04 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eddie was never guaranteed a title shot or even a ppv spot for his first fight, the media screwed that up and everyone keeps repeating it
5/11/13 9:47 AM
ShawnTheBadger
427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just read every word.

My head hurts.

This is exactly why I pay a bookkeeper and CPA very well, and a couple lawyers real big money (relatively speaking) to protect my interests.

I'm a mere MMA fan.  I want Ed to fight, and of course I want him (and every pro) to make the most money possible, as quickly as possible, in a profession with a 15-year'ish (age 20-35) window of opportunity.

I also want both Bellator and the UFC (MFC, WSOF, etc...) to grow and prosper because it's better for the fans and the fighters.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this all plays out.

5/11/13 10:06 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eddie was also offered 100k as a coach on the reality show and more money for other programs if I remember correctly

Another interesting part of this is Cosmo Alexander, he is complaining about fights and money now, he fought 6 times in 18 months for Bellator and Bjorn said he was offered a spot in the LW and WW tournament and turned them down

He is a teammate of Eddie I believe, or at least they have the same manager, maybe he is waiting put his deal?
5/11/13 10:07 AM
liquidrob

I believe the UFC offer was 250k signing and 70/70 a fight, not 90/90
5/11/13 10:26 AM
Bobby Lupo
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

liquidrob - I believe the UFC offer was 250k signing and 70/70 a fight, not 90/90

you forgot the $39.99 per PPV sold

5/11/13 10:33 AM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

Bobby Lupo - 
liquidrob - I believe the UFC offer was 250k signing and 70/70 a fight, not 90/90

you forgot the $39.99 per PPV sold

was that guaranteed? no it wasn't. ufc could have easily said they would guarantee eddie a min of ____ buys. they didnt. bellaor doesnt have to match that.

5/11/13 10:44 AM
Ingrained Media
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ingrained Media, President
I would like to know who is pretending to work for Bellator.
5/11/13 10:47 AM
liquidrob

If I remember correctly, the UFC said they would put Eddie on the gsp card AFTER all the matching stuff went down, there was no guaranteed title shot or ppv fight on the initial offer Bellator matched
5/11/13 10:57 AM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Thacommish - 
12SixElbow - 
crwhitlock - 

In addition, Zuffa currently has a standing offer to Alvarez for a bout at UFC 159 in late April, but has altered its original contract offer to include the pay-per-view revenue perk (in addition to the negotiated $75,000 show and $75, 000 win purses), despite it not being a title fight. According to Alvarez's UFC offer, included in Bellator's complaint, the fighter stands to make an additional $1.00 for every buy between 200,000-400,000 units, $2.00 for each buy sold between 400,000- 600,000 units and $2.50 for each buy sold over 600,000 units. However, Zuffa contends it must have Alvarez's unfettered commitment by Jan. 27 to get the full 90 days it says it needs to properly promote the bout.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mma/news/20130120/eddie-alvarez-counterclaim-against-bellator/#ixzz2SyQoa7Pg
2 bucks per unit it sold 500k units, das a cool mil.

No, that's not how PPV buys works.  He would have made $1 per buy from 200K- 400K buys, so that's $200K.  He then would have made $2 per buy from 400K- 500K buys, so another $200K for a total of a $400K PPV bonus, not $1M.

That said, no way in hell Zuffa is going to pay a guy a PPV percentage when he is not the draw.  Despite what they were hypothetically offering, they are not going to put Eddie on a GSP, Anderson, Jones, or Cain card and then pay him a PPV percentage based off of other fighter's popularity.  Dana's not stupid.  He could offer him all the PPV bonus money in the world and then put him on FOX cards, have him headline FX cards, or have him on a LW PPV card that does around 200- 300K buys. 

Just like people like to talk about Hector Lombard getting a PPV percentage.  Well his first and only UFC fight on PPV coincidentally happened to be the Faber vs Barao card, which did 235K buys.  His next 2 fights were on FX and Fuel.  So Hector has probably made an extra $35,000 in his entire UFC career with regards to the almighty PPV percentage bonus.

this...eddie wants bellator to guarantee a certain number of ppv buys, but they dont have to because the ufc didnt do that

5/11/13 11:01 AM
stillmatic
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby Lupo - 

Exactly what I'm thinking. I highly doubt the UFC would offer a fighter who is largely unknown among the general public that much money.
5/11/13 11:18 AM
whoabro

stillmatic -
Bobby Lupo - 

Exactly what I'm thinking. I highly doubt the UFC would offer a fighter who is largely unknown among the general public that much money.
. Phone Post 3.0
5/11/13 11:39 AM
Bobby Lupo

whoabro - 
stillmatic -
Bobby Lupo - 

. Phone Post 3.0

Fedor wasn't even offered that much money. 

5/11/13 11:40 AM
Chris27

Bobby Lupo - 

Yes thats exactly what he would have made, he has a PPV deal nothing in the contract stated he needed to be a main event to get PPV money.

So just being on the card would trigger his PPV bonus and if it did a million buys he would have made 1.6 million off PPV buys and 70/70 for the fight.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/5/6/4304382/innocuous-phrase-may-have-cost-eddie-alvarez-seven-figures

St-Pierre had topped 700,000 buys on every show he'd headlined fight the previous four years. There was no reason to believe that anything should be different. This was even before Nick Diaz, easily his best possible opponent to draw on pay-per-view in his weight class, was announced as his opponent.

For his first fight, Alvarez would make $70,000 in base pay, and another $70,000 if he won. He'd also get $85,000 as the first installment of a $250,000 bonus. Bellator matched all that in a proposed match with Chandler.

The value in winning the UFC title would open up all kinds of opportunities that a Bellator title couldn't match. Alvarez's bonuses, provided the show did 700,000 buys, would garner him another $850,000, life-changing money. In one night, Alvarez would earn more than he made in his four years in Bellator. Alvarez's pay-per-view bonus for the show would have been $1.35 million if the show hit 900,000 buys, or $1.60 million if the show hit the elusive 1 million mark. One could make an argument that adding a Henderson vs. Alvarez title match to the St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz show may have increased the number above what it ended up doing, because of how rare a show is nowadays with two title matches of that caliber.

The same pay-per-view bonus percentages offered by Bellator in its matching the contract, which didn't kick in until 200,000 buys, would likely be worth nothing. If Bellator would have or is to put Alvarez vs. Chandler on pay-per-view, it would be almost impossible to conceive of reaching even the bottom level for a bonus.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.