UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Kevin Howell talks Books, DVDs + MORE (Part 1)

5/13/13 2:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Open Mat Radio
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On this weeks episode we have part one of our two-part series with Kevin Howell! In this interview we talk about his books with Saulo Ribeiro, Andre Galvao and Dave Camarillo, the different tools available to learn brazilian jiu-jitsu, the strengths and weaknesses of books and dvds, training with guys like Leo Vieira, Leandro Vieira, Andre Galvao and Marcio Feitosa and much more!

5/13/13 3:36 AM
checkuroil
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post 3.0
5/13/13 11:38 AM
Open Mat Radio
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the bump! Does anyone here own any of Kevin's books? Phone Post 3.0
5/13/13 12:52 PM
JM
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I probably have all the ones he's done with Victory Belt publishing.
5/13/13 1:00 PM
Hugh Jaynus
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really great interview. I'm really looking forward to part two.

Also, Paul, the past couple interviews you've done have been really great. I don't know if it's just happened to be the guests themselves or a conscious effort on your part, but you've seemed to ask a lot more personal questions relating to the guest instead of just the general 'how did you start training, what was it like?' stuff. Or when you do ask those questions, you'll interject the ways you relate to things these guys talk about, making it much more conversational as opposed to Q&A only. I think this style really opens up your guests as well as you and ends up bringing out deeper content. Offering your perspective gives a lot of opportunity for the guest to think and have some actual discourse, as opposed to some interviews where the guests speak and the interviewer responds with "uh huh, yeah!".
5/13/13 1:41 PM
ato316
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for kevin, i got both his saulo and galvao books

i've dropped in at his school a couple of times, both him and his wife are good people.
5/13/13 3:30 PM
CrazyBrit
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The delay is not down to Kevin
I've seen a couple of pages
IT IS GOLD
And I train with Leo on occasion it's definitely his style
5/13/13 3:32 PM
CrazyBrit
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not Leo's fault either
This book is worth the wait
Will be Kevin's best work
Think a nogi saulo book
5/13/13 3:42 PM
icon115
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i thought he had a falling out with the Vieira bros. Is it still coming out?
5/13/13 5:22 PM
kcher
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ato316 - ttt for kevin, i got both his saulo and galvao books

i've dropped in at his school a couple of times, both him and his wife are good people.

Thanks for the kind remark ato316! When did you come through?
5/13/13 5:23 PM
kcher
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously, its really cool that the guys at Open Mat let me rant for a couple of hours! Great guys and I hope you all enjoy it. If you guys have ANY questions regarding the interview or books, shoot! I'll try to get on here and answer.
5/13/13 5:27 PM
kcher

icon115 - i thought he had a falling out with the Vieira bros. Is it still coming out?

Hey icon115 (my favorite and current top rotation motorcycle helmet brand BTW), it looks like the book is still going to make it to the shelves. Been back and forth with the publisher and from what I can gather, he is happy with the book. Cross your fingers.

Regarding a falling out, time heals old wounds and me and Leandro have caught up a few times. As for Leo, we always stayed friends and still talk regularly.
5/14/13 9:43 AM
MurdochIRL
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hugh Jaynus - Really great interview. I'm really looking forward to part two.

Also, Paul, the past couple interviews you've done have been really great. I don't know if it's just happened to be the guests themselves or a conscious effort on your part, but you've seemed to ask a lot more personal questions relating to the guest instead of just the general 'how did you start training, what was it like?' stuff. Or when you do ask those questions, you'll interject the ways you relate to things these guys talk about, making it much more conversational as opposed to Q&A only. I think this style really opens up your guests as well as you and ends up bringing out deeper content. Offering your perspective gives a lot of opportunity for the guest to think and have some actual discourse, as opposed to some interviews where the guests speak and the interviewer responds with "uh huh, yeah!".
Thanks for the feedback! I think there are a few factors at work. Obviously different guests will have different response styles. We have also been playing around with our format. We used to try and have two of us conduct every interview. While I still like to do that, it can be a balancing act of each person sticking to certain questions. When its just one person hosting its easier to have a more flowing interview. I'm constantly trying new things. For instance with Leo we had like three pages of prepared questions. For Kevin we had fewer prepared questions BUT those interviews were the same length. I think Richard did great with Pete the Greek. His style and mine are different. We try to mix it up for everyone. For sure the more practice we have and the more feedback we get, we hope the show improves. Thanks for sticking with us on this journey.

For those asking about the Leo book, I saw a preview. It's worth the wait! Kevin kills it again! I can't wait for it. Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 2:22 PM
ato316

kcher - 
ato316 - ttt for kevin, i got both his saulo and galvao books

Thanks for the kind remark ato316! When did you come through?

i was there at the grand opening in 2009, again for a couple days in october that year, one of the galvao seminars, and the last time was lucas leite seminar when you guys were still checkmat.
5/15/13 9:09 AM
MurdochIRL
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AJL19 - Another great podcast! Phone Post 3.0
Thanks a lot. Part two will be up Sunday night or Monday morning. Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 9:14 AM
andre
460 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kcher and open mat radio are representative of some of the best aspects of Jiujitsu today. So awesome. Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 6:56 PM
orudis
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool interview. Is there any chance at all that those mothballed bjjtapes videos will ever see the light of day? I'd be really interested in seeing Jamelao and Margarida 2. Actually, I'd be interested in seeing any of the canceled videos Kevin mentioned. Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 10:04 PM
MurdochIRL

andre - Kcher and open mat radio are representative of some of the best aspects of Jiujitsu today. So awesome. Phone Post 3.0
Many thanks to you brother! You've been a great mentor to me over the years and I'm forever thankful for your friendship. How's Brazil treating you? Phone Post 3.0
5/19/13 8:12 PM
Open Mat Radio

Part Two about to drop in a few hours! Thanks for all the support!!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.