UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> There Are Things Greater Than Jiu Jitsu...

5/13/13 7:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
thebjjprofessor
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/13/13 7:34 AM

It was the day of NAGA Chicago.

I had trained for a hard six weeks for this tournament.

I lifted, sprinted, rolled, drilled, and trained every spare moment.

I had dieted down and cut all of the weight.

Weighed in the night before and made the weight.

But I didn’t compete.

Because sometimes in life there are things greater than Jiu Jitsu….

I’ll warn you that this article is a bit long and while worth reading, if you want the best part, I highly suggest reading the last section. – Brendan

Click here to read the entire article.

5/13/13 7:46 AM
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a a father of four, I totally get you. You made the right choice. So much of stuff we do in and for BJJ is the about the journey. If BJJ doesn't make you a better husband and father, it is worthless.
5/13/13 8:17 AM
T-Ham
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

100% accurate. Phone Post 3.0
5/13/13 10:03 AM
paw
1459 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for good husbands

5/13/13 11:34 AM
TJits73
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Solid article. Phone Post 3.0
5/13/13 5:37 PM
thebjjprofessor

CJJScout - As a a father of four, I totally get you. You made the right choice. So much of stuff we do in and for BJJ is the about the journey. If BJJ doesn't make you a better husband and father, it is worthless.

I totally agree!  Bjj is meant to enhance your life, not make it worse.

5/13/13 8:36 PM
Stubbsy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good speech Brendan. All my disposable goes into looking after my family, i have none spare at all, not even a penny. Jiu Jitsu is all about the journey for me. I'd love to compete more, i just can't. And that's cool :-) Phone Post
5/13/13 9:38 PM
TheMessiah

Very good read Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 12:39 AM
thebasher

i liked the article but yeh it is only BJJ and only a complete douche would have gone ahead and competed in those circumstances
5/14/13 1:26 AM
gusto

all i can think of is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0B_ekSrsEk

let the VTFDs commence
5/14/13 2:23 AM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My brother once made the assertion that "95 percent of a young man's problems in life can be solved through the practice of jiu-jitsu". While it was an off the cuff remark he made in a light hearted manner, I think there is a lot of truth to the statement about the positive changes people experience in their lives. I personally caution young people just not to make BJJ their religion, although it is a great compliment to anyone's faith, provided they have one, it is not a replacement or a God. One finds this out when you have been around long enough to see these "Family" like teams have their falling outs, partnerships in a BJJ school experience betrayal, association changes, students leaving for another school, etc.. I see a group of young competitive hotshots in our school seemingly overly consumed and I just hope they don't lose their perspective on life, maybe with age they figure this out on their own.
5/14/13 4:32 AM
Stubbsy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bread cutter - Awesome article, you did the right thing,

I would also like to add that BJJ at times can be an unhealthy addiction for some people. I see some young intelligent guys who train bjj and have no energy for anything else. If these guys put as much effort into school they would be making 250,000 plus dollars a year. These guys will never sniff a black belt medal at pan ams or worlds. Bjj than has a more of a negative impact on there lives than positive. Life is all about BALANCE!
I completely agree with this. I'm sceptical in many ways when I hear what I would call brainwashing going on. Jiu Jitsu does make you a better person - there's no doubt about that. But realistic appraisal of your life is essential and your instructor should help you with that. I think, to be truly successful in life you need negative capability, the ability to step outside of yourself and your current situation (formative context) and think about what is going on in your life objectively. Harder than it sounds! Phone Post
5/14/13 7:47 AM
thebjjprofessor

I think that's a great point.  BJJ does become a religion for people, and a lot of coaches don't take the time to get to know their students outside of the academy so when they're out for a while, the coach assumes it is laziness and pressures them to attend more.

5/14/13 3:42 PM
poober
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stubbsy - 

I would also like to add that BJJ at times can be an unhealthy addiction for some people. I see some young intelligent guys who train bjj and have no energy for anything else. If these guys put as much effort into school they would be making 250,000 plus dollars a year. These guys will never sniff a black belt medal at pan ams or worlds. Bjj than has a more of a negative impact on there lives than positive. Life is all about BALANCE!
I completely agree with this. I'm sceptical in many ways when I hear what I would call brainwashing going on. Jiu Jitsu does make you a better person - there's no doubt about that. But realistic appraisal of your life is essential and your instructor should help you with that. I think, to be truly successful in life you need negative capability, the ability to step outside of yourself and your current situation (formative context) and think about what is going on in your life objectively. Harder than it sounds! Phone Post

$250,000+ a year isn't what I'd consider success. Doing what you love every day is what makes you successful.

There comes a time, when the jewels cease to sparkle, when the gold loses its luster, when the throne room becomes a prison, and all that is left is a man's love for BJJ.
5/14/13 3:54 PM
Barbartha
353 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great article and I agree.

5/14/13 3:56 PM
Tarado Safado
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gusto - all i can think of is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0B_ekSrsEk

let the VTFDs commence

he he - I get your point
5/17/13 11:27 AM
LordSeano
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OPs story rings very true for me right now.

I was supposed be competing in my first comp tomorrow at the british open. Trained hard, dropped 8kgs was really looking forward to it.

Unfortunately my wife is not well and ive had to cancel. Oh well theres always other comps! Phone Post
5/17/13 12:48 PM
Soul Gravy

Bread cutter - 
poober - 
Stubbsy - 

$250,000+ a year isn't what I'd consider success. Doing what you love every day is what makes you successful.

There comes a time, when the jewels cease to sparkle, when the gold loses its luster, when the throne room becomes a prison, and all that is left is a man's love for BJJ.

Training bjj twice a day for 7 days a week and getting picked off your second match at worlds is not what I call success either. There are many bjj players were bjj is the number 1 thing in there life. Some don't go to school or don't work just so they can train bjj. When these guys are 48 years old they will more than likely realize they should have put some of there time into something else.

Most of these people would be better off training 2-5 days a week.

Put more time into what? Why does BJJ automatically play second fiddle to other things?
5/18/13 6:08 PM
m.g
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the article was very good in that it brought up many excellent points.

Recently I had to skip a tournament because I had work to do. I thought I would be able to fulfill my work obligations and still be able to do the tournament. Well I couldn't. Work simply outweighed the tournament.

And more often than not, its going to be that way. There are going to be times where I'm going to have to sacrifice a tournament for something more important.

Now, Soul Gravy wonders: why does BJJ automatically play second fiddle to other things? My answer to that question would be, unless practicing BJJ is something where one is gaining more than losing than it should play second fiddle. If BJJ isn't putting food on your table, clothes on your back, paying your bills, giving you something to live on than it shouldn't be a priority in your life at the expense of other things can do those things for you.

Unless BJJ is your only SOURCE of income than you shouldn't allow or let it be the primary thing in your life.

5/19/13 5:02 AM
cm81
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great article. BJJ for life. Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 10:02 AM
RPBJJ
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A real man and a true martial artist would do that 100 out of 100 times.

Youre a good man.
5/24/13 3:01 PM
Sebastiaan

Great article. My wife is now following evening classes, meaning I can only train 1 time a week. Somethings are more important than BJJ indeed
5/24/13 5:20 PM
Mule
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is a stupid freaking blog.

First why did his wife wait until Saturday to go oh hey the baby hasn't moved in days can you take me to the hospital? If I thought my wife had cared so little about either of my children I'd punch her in her face. And Choosing between your unborn child and a stupid freaking tournement is no choice at all. That coupled with the fact that his wife got mad at him for eating healthy makes me think she may not except his BJJ lifestyle.

I'm glad everything worked out but there is no real message here.
5/24/13 10:25 PM
mjm345
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CJJScout - As a a father of four, I totally get you. You made the right choice. So much of stuff we do in and for BJJ is the about the journey. If BJJ doesn't make you a better husband and father, it is worthless.
. Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 10:36 PM
The Ghost Of Swayze
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent read.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.