UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rockhold: Black belts don't mean s--t to me

5/13/13 3:34 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

At UFC 1, a brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt was all in took to win an 8-man tournament of the best martial artists on the planet, well and some overall toughess. A smaller, weaker BJJ black belt named Royce Gracie used his family's art to submit everyone and in doing so revolutionized the world. Gracie Jiu-Jitus is still a fundamental part of mixed martial arts, but with today's athletes getting better and better and being adept at all skills in mixed martial arts, a black belt is not just enough to win. 

According to Luke Rockhold, who fights Vitor Belfort this weekend, his black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu doesn't even give him the advantage on the ground:

"If it goes to the ground, I think it's my world. I know he's a longtime black belt, but black belts don't mean s--t to me."

Gold belts, however, mean a lot to Rockhold, who makes his UFC debut after a decorated run in Strikeforce, where he was the organization's final 185-pound champion. So far, champs from the now-defunct promotion have yet to capture a UFC title.

When he headlines UFC on FX 8 opposite Belfort, Rockhold thinks the key to being the first is preventing the former UFC titleholder from setting up any offense.

"I definitely want to keep it exciting and high-paced and keep a lot of pressure on Vitor," he said. "I feel like I can beat him anywhere, and I have to employ my range and my kickboxing. I'm not going to just straight box with Vitor. That would be stupid.

"It's really going to refine my skills and perfect my striking and make me be very precise. I expect a different fight for me."

read entire article...

5/13/13 4:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MattyJ
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ - I agree, it's not the belt it is the man. How many dojos out their are giving away Black belts at gyms where you pay a mere $65 a month.

I am sure that there are no world class competitors coming from there.
So being a legit black belt is dependant on how much you pay per month to train rather than experience/skill level? Phone Post 3.0
5/13/13 7:58 PM
hogh20
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vitor wins by speed advantage.
5/13/13 8:31 PM
PeaceThroughStrength

Vitor looked good against Bisping,but I think Luke survives the initial blitz from Belfort and wins a decision.
5/13/13 8:38 PM
Chulio
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PeaceThroughStrength - Vitor looked good against Bisping,but I think Luke survives the initial blitz from Belfort and wins a decision.

Agreed, if Luke gets through the first the fight is his
5/13/13 8:47 PM
Malvert the Janitor
937 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chulio -
PeaceThroughStrength - Vitor looked good against Bisping,but I think Luke survives the initial blitz from Belfort and wins a decision.

Umm, Bisping got smashed in the second.

And Vitor doesn't blitz from the bell anymore guys, watch his last couple fights. He'll wait for an opening and fire off in bursts. Those bursts can kill you, though.

No matter. Prepare for Luke to try and press Vitor against the cage, wear on him, maybe do some clinch work and try for point scoring takedowns. IMO, an exciting fight doesn't benefit Luke. Too many ways to get caught. Phone Post 3.0
5/13/13 10:44 PM
PeaceThroughStrength

Malvert the Janitor - 
Chulio -

Umm, Bisping got smashed in the second.

And Vitor doesn't blitz from the bell anymore guys, watch his last couple fights. He'll wait for an opening and fire off in bursts. Those bursts can kill you, though.

No matter. Prepare for Luke to try and press Vitor against the cage, wear on him, maybe do some clinch work and try for point scoring takedowns. IMO, an exciting fight doesn't benefit Luke. Too many ways to get caught. Phone Post 3.0

I hear you, and they are valid points. Vitor has been a little more patient,but that blitz will come and when it does I think Luke will survive.But I've been wrong before so it wouldn't surprise me if Vitor pulls it off.I would rather see Rockhold win just for the sake of a seeing a new fighter in the mix for a tittle shot.
5/13/13 11:12 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vitor via back of the head KO!
5/14/13 1:37 AM
mike_rizzo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Luke, your a good lookin man, but dont be disrespectful. Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 1:54 AM
MahatmaPetey
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vitor via judo chop. Phone Post
5/14/13 1:55 AM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vitor got this.
5/14/13 2:03 AM
SlickPacific

Well see, tough guy. Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 2:15 AM
Wasa-B
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im guessing he still probably trains BJJ though so..
5/14/13 2:35 AM
inf0
321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's obviously never been punched by Vitor Gracie.

5/14/13 3:12 AM
Ballet Tudo Grand Master

Luke wouldn't dare say that to MY face!

He knows better than to mess with me or any of my students!
5/14/13 3:56 AM
Refuse to Lose
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is such a great fight these two matchup great. Definitely see the fight ending in the first by a KO/TKO. Phone Post
5/14/13 7:50 AM
Y2JB

Man i really want Luke to put it on Vitor, I also hear Jesus wants the same.
5/14/13 10:36 AM
triso
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vitor will KO him. He's never dealt with the hand speed and boxing Vitor will bring.
5/14/13 1:07 PM
SHOOTMedia
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Luke Rockhold prepares to do battle with Vitor Belfort.

5/14/13 1:23 PM
Brabatross

Luke by 3rd round submission. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.