UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> 1st MMA combine to debut July 6 in Vegas

5/14/13 9:34 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1061 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The NFL Scouting Combine allows prospects from the college ranks to display their capabilities to prospective teams.

Now the concept is coming to MMA.

Urijah Faber and Phil Davis, who recently debuted the amateur-centered website MMADraft.com, will be holding MMA's first combine at the UFC Fan Expo on July 6 in Las Vegas. The event will allow amateur fighters to show their stuff, with the fight world looking on.

"It's the first time we're going to do it and it's going to be limited to 100 people, Faber told B/R's Damon Martin. We're going to have a bunch of professional fighters there. We're going to have sports psychologists, physical therapists, and strength and conditioning guys. We've got a whole curriculum that we're going to run through with these prospects and take their time," Faber revealed to Bleacher Report on Monday.

"Some of it will be comparable testing to what they use in football, soccer and basketball combines and some will be unique to the MMA world. It's going to be an awesome ordeal."

"The combine is basically going to see where they're set, this testing is going to be done by a lot of our professionals and you can kind of see where they stack up. It's going to be an opportunity for guys to stand out. It's going to be a real data-heavy thing and see where they stack up as an athlete, where they stack up as a mixed martial artist. It kind of adds to your rising stars."

The event is still being organized right now, but the plan is to invite media members, fighters, managers and sponsors to watch the next wave of mixed martial artists go through a series of events similar to the NFL combine to test where they are at athletically, physically and mentally."

"It's a limited amount of participants so we're going to be pretty selective. You have to have a profile on MMADraft.com and just kind of jump through the hoops. It's the first of its kind, it's going to be cutting edge and we're excited about getting this off the ground."

Registration for the combine, which comes with an entry fee, is available at mmadraft.com.

5/14/13 9:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
canofsticks
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would be awesome to have one of those every year. Hope it goes on to be a pretty successful thing.
5/14/13 9:49 AM
In Limbo
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sounds cool

5/14/13 9:53 AM
inf0
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA is all bench and curls... sounds awesome

5/14/13 10:19 AM
Lux Fixxins
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not sure there's a lamer pic of Phil Davis out there. Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 10:55 AM
DanielCaton

This is really awesome! I use a similar grading system when I evaulate prospects and issue grades.  Those same grades equate to round value for selection.

5/14/13 11:24 AM
garrote
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool idea.

Didn't Davis do a video at an award show with Dominic Cruz clowning Team Alpha Male? Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 11:31 AM
Yun
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lux Fixxins - I'm not sure there's a lamer pic of Phil Davis out there. Phone Post 3.0
this Phone Post
5/14/13 11:50 AM
Stackdoe
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds stupid.
5/14/13 11:54 AM
cheesyfries
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome idea. They should be doing these in every state sometime in the future. Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 12:06 PM
DanielCaton

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
MMfan2013 - Then do you have to sign to Urijahs or Phils management companies?

This is odd, kinda cool--but there's more to it I would suppose

Prob not... they are charging a fee to attend so I assume it's no different than them setting up a seminar.  It's an income producing event.  Like I said, I'm not sure I really get teh point of it from the attendees standpoint.  Even if they test off the charts athletically, it's not like they are going to get signed anywhere for it.  It would come down to their experience and MMA record, which they could provide to Zuffa (or other organization) without paying Uriah and Davis a fee.

The NFL combine is to make it to the NFL.  An MMA combine is to make it to....MMA?

You're right about the NFL, however this combine is to get someone signed to a better team or management.  Yes, it doesn't mean Zuffa will attend to sign some of these prospects.  Because prospects need to develop in the Minors like baseball.  Not thrown into the fire of the UFC.  So Zuffa would do better to let these guys/gals develop at smaller organizations

This is a very productive idea, that 5 years down the road Zuffa will adopt.

5/14/13 12:17 PM
jmont

Lux Fixxins - I'm not sure there's a lamer pic of Phil Davis out there. Phone Post 3.0
lol agreed, I actually thot it was mayweather at first till I started reading Phone Post
5/14/13 12:21 PM
wq419998819
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kind of seems like a larger version of when fight teams hold open tryouts. Hopefully there will be representatives from the major MMA orgs there to scout the talent as well. An up and coming fighter can never do enough to get his name out there, imho.
5/14/13 12:55 PM
Kick Boxe
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like this is more for fight camps than anything else. Who knows a big camp might see a prospect with potential, take them in and make them the next latest and greatest.

To compare it to the NFL combine is a little off though, there is competition between teams to select the top guys, while the UFC is only 1 "team"

5/14/13 1:25 PM
YHTOMIT2001
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If the winner doesn't get some sort of contract or money then this is kinda pointless.

5/14/13 2:39 PM
halfninja
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kinda seems more like an MMA version of "Project Greenlight" than an actual 'NFL Combine'.
5/14/13 3:52 PM
GooseLeeMMA

Cheers to gathering a Buncha wannabe fighter applications w no credentials Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 4:01 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought MMA was about technique not about physical things such as having a better vertical jump than Urijah Faber.
5/14/13 4:03 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also their website "MMADraft.com"? Ummm whaat? I'm surprised that hasn't been mentioned or no one has made a thread about it. Thoughts?
5/14/13 8:39 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin

Also LOL at getting ammy fighters some exposure. Those ammy fighters should go pro if they want exposure and to make it big.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.