UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> "UFC contract worst in sports/entertainment"

5/14/13 11:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a big fan of the author, but a very good and indepth breakdown of the UFC contract...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1516575-the-business-of-fighting-a-look-inside-the-ufcs-top-secret-fighter-contract

5/14/13 11:17 AM
Saltyballs
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1516575-the-business-of-fighting-a-look-inside-the-ufcs-top-secret-fighter-contract

5/14/13 11:18 AM
mrmister

the payscale based on performance is the biggest con in the mma history
5/14/13 11:26 AM

mrmister - the payscale based on performance is the biggest con in the mma history

whys that? I got no problem with that aspect

5/14/13 11:29 AM
canofsticks
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mrmister - the payscale based on performance is the biggest con in the mma history

brb telling my boss this. Hoping for a raise.
5/14/13 11:30 AM

but its kind of interesting it took this guy "months" to write this article, where i summed up basically the same shit in like 30 minutes...

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&thread=2115177

some interesting tidbits based on a quick read through of the contract that was offered to Eddie by Zuffa and then matched by Bellator (for discussion purposes only of course)

1. The contract gives zuffa the exclusive, worldwide right to use the name, likeness, persona etc. of the fighter.  This basically gives the ufc superior rights over you to use your identity. Also, it appears that these rights are perpetual meaning FOREVER even after you are cut and not fighting in the UFC. In other words, zuffa owns your ass. I think this has been discussed before, but its pretty crazy. 

2. The fighter is required to assist zuffa in advertising, publicity and promotion of the bouts he fights in, of all other events of the UFC and the sale of UFC merch at times and places reasonably designated by zuffa without additional compensation (other than travel, room and board). This is pretty broad. There are no limits on this other than "reasonable". This is probably what pissed off Huerta and Diaz.

3. The fighter is generally prohibited from participating in or rendering services as a professional fighter or in any other capacity to any other mixed martial art, martial art, boxing, professional wrestling, or any other fighting competition or exhibition (except if you are not a champion, you can participate in certain events with zuffa's permission). This is pretty broad too since it includes rendering services, essentially in any capacity, to anything fighting related. This appears to be the infamous provision that got fedor angry.

4. At the end of the term, if the fighter is a champ, the term gets extended automatically to the later of a 1 year period or the date the fighter has 3 fights (but pay stays the same). I always thought this champions clause was perpetual, but apparently its not (perhaps due to enforceability issues). However, since its the "later of", it appears the UFC can always just not give the champ a bout, thus prolonging the time he is under contract.

5. It is "intended" that eddie's first bout be for the title, and that the first bout be prior to March of 2013. I don't really know what this means in a contractual context, but its not a guaranteed title shot. Eddie probably asked for a guaranteed shot, Zuffa balked and this was the compromise, which isn’t all that meaningful from Eddie's perspective. At best, its probably some type of good faith clause, which would be difficult for Eddie to enforce in court if the UFC decides not to give him a title shot.

6. Eddie's PPV points are only for his first fight if it’s on a PPV and for any subsequent bout that is on PPV where he is a champ. But I don't see anything that requires zuffa to make eddie's first or any subsequent bouts on PPV, so these PPV points may just be window dressing ultimately. Also, the PPV is not as rich as I think some originally thought on here. For example, he gets $1 for each buy BETWEEN 200K to 400K, meaning if the event does 200,001 buys, he gets $1. Its still not bad considering he has not proven to be a TV draw and he has never fought in the octagon, but in light of the fact that there does not appear to be any obligation to put eddie on one single PPV, its not anderson silva money by any means.  

7. In the incidental section, the figher is only entitled to 2 plane tix and 1 hotel room if he is a non-champ and 3 plane tix and 2 hotel rooms if he is the champ. This seems pretty meager to me, at least in the case where you are champ. Also, he only gets 4 tix to the events he fights in.

8. There is a pretty broad code of conduct provision that requires the fighter to conduct himself "with commonly accepted standards of decency, social convention and morals". I'm pretty sure every UFC fighter has breached this provision. Also, neither the fighter, nor any of his managers, trainers and assistants are permitted to wear any clothing or ornamentation or tattoo that is lewd, obscene, offensive, defamatory, discriminatory or inappropriate as determined by the ufc, in its sole discretion. Brown Pride!

9. If a fighter claims to be injured, the ufc can: (a) declare that it has satisfied its obligation to give the fighter one of his contracted fights without compensation or (b) cut the fighter. This may be a reason why some fighters (e.g. hendo) are reluctant to inform zuffa when they are injured until they are absolutely sure they cannot perform. The ufc can also cut you after one loss.

10. The ufc has a right to match clause that is similar to bellator’s with a key difference. The ufc only has to match the “financial terms and conditions” of a third party offer. Probably would have been better to only have to match “guaranteed” financial terms”, but its still better than having to match the terms generally, which theoretically could be anything. Funny thing is, most of the other language is verbatim the same as bellator’s right of first refusal, so it looks like there is some truth to the allegation that bellator “stole” zuffa’s contract…but then zuffa modified the language to add “financial”. Also, its true that zuffa has the right to match even after they cut you.  

11. There is a pretty comprehensive release and covenant not to sue that covers any injury, illness, damage, loss or harm to the fighter resulting from the fighters participation in events and promotional events or any activities associated therewith. I understand the need for a release for injuries and the like sustained in a fight, but this goes well beyond that when it includes damages, losses or harm for associated activities. What if the ufc does something negligently or recklessly that causes a loss to a fighter – why should the fighter waive its rights to sue zuffa?

5/14/13 11:33 AM
mrmister

Anderson's BBC in my Goku - 

so you think its appropriate that a UFC fighter should fight for 10k with a possible 10k 'bonus' instead of 20k a fight
5/14/13 11:34 AM
NorthFromHere
310 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
"2. The fighter is required to assist zuffa in advertising, publicity and promotion of the bouts he fights in, of all other events of the UFC and the sale of UFC merch at times and places reasonably designated by zuffa without additional compensation (other than travel, room and board). This is pretty broad. There are no limits on this other than "reasonable". This is probably what pissed off Huerta and Diaz."

The fighters I've seen at the UFC shows doing PR work seem pretty happy about being there. They've been mostly up-n-comers and middle level guys.
5/14/13 11:36 AM
mrmister

canofsticks - 

brb telling my boss this. Hoping for a raise.

a signed UFC fighter is a proven fighter he can earn 10k at the smaller shows
5/14/13 11:38 AM

mrmister - 

so you think its appropriate that a UFC fighter should fight for 10k with a possible 10k 'bonus' instead of 20k a fight

sure if that is the market value for the fighter...would you rather him fight a flat 10K win or lose? why do you assume hes worth 20K win or lose? maybe the extra 10k is a real "bonus"?

5/14/13 11:40 AM

NorthFromHere - "2. The fighter is required to assist zuffa in advertising, publicity and promotion of the bouts he fights in, of all other events of the UFC and the sale of UFC merch at times and places reasonably designated by zuffa without additional compensation (other than travel, room and board). This is pretty broad. There are no limits on this other than "reasonable". This is probably what pissed off Huerta and Diaz."

The fighters I've seen at the UFC shows doing PR work seem pretty happy about being there. They've been mostly up-n-comers and middle level guys.

really? all i hear is fighters complaining about it (e.g. gsp, diaz, huerta, weidman, anderson, rousey) i have never heard of a fighter enjoying doing it...sure, many do it with a happy face and acknowledge its part of the job, but pretty sure most would rather be training or doing something else intead of shaking hands and taking pics with a bunch of basement dwelling UGers

5/14/13 11:45 AM
ThickS0lid N Right
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Or every other sport is over paid... $50 mil , 200 mil. They throw a fucking ball! Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 11:46 AM
mrmister

ThickS0lid N Right - Or every other sport is over paid... $50 mil , 200 mil. They throw a fucking ball! Phone Post 3.0

if the free market dictates those numbers why complain
5/14/13 11:46 AM

ThickS0lid N Right - Or every other sport is over paid... $50 mil , 200 mil. They throw a fucking ball! Phone Post 3.0

good point...dont know why we assume that other sports leagues are the paradigm model of how things should be run...arent a lot of teams in the red? and didnt showtime lose money on mayweather?

5/14/13 11:47 AM

mrmister - 

if the free market dictates those numbers why complain

that argument goes both ways...and the ufc is actually a "freer" market than one that includes a union...

5/14/13 11:52 AM
Malvert the Janitor
938 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ Penn has his own website, personalized clothing line, instructional videos, makes personal appearances, writes books, etc., and generates revenue from all of it.

How is he able to pull this off whilst being owned by Zuffa? I can't believe he gives them a cut of all that.

Where's Jake Shields when you need him??? Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 11:56 AM
Chris27

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

"6. Eddie's PPV points are only for his first fight if it’s on a PPV and for any subsequent bout that is on PPV where he is a champ. But I don't see anything that requires zuffa to make eddie's first or any subsequent bouts on PPV, so these PPV points may just be window dressing ultimately. Also, the PPV is not as rich as I think some originally thought on here. For example, he gets $1 for each buy BETWEEN 200K to 400K, meaning if the event does 200,001 buys, he gets $1. Its still not bad considering he has not proven to be a TV draw and he has never fought in the octagon, but in light of the fact that there does not appear to be any obligation to put eddie on one single PPV, its not anderson silva money by any means."

But, but, but, Eddie was going to make $2M for his first UFC fight, according to the UG.  This is why it's "impossible for Bellator to match."

This part is correct, though.  Just like the UFC gave Hector Lombard a PPV bonus.  They then put him on the Faber vs Barao card, which did a reported 235K buys and his next 2 were on Fuel and FX.  So in 3 UFC fights, Lombard has made a total of $35K for his PPV points.

LOL at the UGers thinking Dana was really stupid enough to put him on the GSP card and then pay him $1.5M because of GSP's popularity. 

Eddie was gonna be on 158 or 159 which means he would have made money on that PPV. They had a signed bout agreement for 159.

He would have made 500k extra for being on that 159 card and over a million if he was in fact put on that GSP card. We have no clue if he would have ended up on the GSP card or not but we know for a fact he was then offered a fight on 159.

Thats money he would never make in Bellator.
5/14/13 11:57 AM
Fan of fanboys
344 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting stuff Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 12:02 PM

Malvert the Janitor - BJ Penn has his own website, personalized clothing line, instructional videos, makes personal appearances, writes books, etc., and generates revenue from all of it.

How is he able to pull this off whilst being owned by Zuffa? I can't believe he gives them a cut of all that.

ufc probably gives him permission...which they may do frequently, but the default is that they do own u

5/14/13 12:37 PM
Malvert the Janitor
938 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson's BBC in my Goku -
Malvert the Janitor - BJ Penn has his own website, personalized clothing line, instructional videos, makes personal appearances, writes books, etc., and generates revenue from all of it.

ufc probably gives him permission...which they may do frequently, but the default is that they do own u

Got it.

They own you. Only sometimes they don't own you at all.

Sounds like the record industry, no? The really good acts get to dictate the terms of the contract. New bands, desperate to sign, take what they are offered.

Matter of fact, it sounds like credit. When I had no credit and needed a car, I had to take the only loan I qualified for. A shitty one with über interest. Now I dictate terms when I go to the dealership.

The model isn't perfect. But is it new? Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 12:44 PM
bjws
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Malvert the Janitor - 
Anderson's BBC in my Goku -

Got it.

They own you. Only sometimes they don't own you at all.

Sounds like the record industry, no? The really good acts get to dictate the terms of the contract. New bands, desperate to sign, take what they are offered.

Matter of fact, it sounds like credit. When I had no credit and needed a car, I had to take the only loan I qualified for. A shitty one with über interest. Now I dictate terms when I go to the dealership.

The model isn't perfect. But is it new? Phone Post 3.0

Think about it for a minute here...

The stuff BJ is doing in your example is elevating his profile and increasing the number of potential customers that will tune in to watch him fight. Same goes for the books these guys are writing and the other appearances they are doing. Some are even set up by the UFC most like.

It's all marketing and even those who are marketing themselves are also promoting the UFC. Anyone who doesn't know who BJ Penn is for example is going to ask a few questions like "who is this guy? Why do I care"?. Someone will tell them he's a former UFC champion.

You have to consider the big picture. What is in a contract does not need to be enforced and may never be.
5/14/13 12:52 PM
trobinson21

Guys are free to go fight for Bellator, they seem a lot better. Facepalm. Phone Post
5/14/13 12:53 PM
trobinson21

Ugggh the dumbassedness in this thread. Phone Post
5/14/13 12:53 PM
Malvert the Janitor

Did you read BJ's book?? He cut the UFC to bits in it. Dana hated it. There's no way they endorsed that.

I'm not supporting the contractual structure sanctioned by the UFC. Just pointing out that success can be the trump card. Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 12:54 PM
Tad Ghostal
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ probably had more name value than the UFC at one point, plus his family can afford a good lawyer. Also, isn't BJ the reason that a champions clause exists?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.