UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Beginners' deadlift

5/14/13 11:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ryans
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to start deadlifting, but I'm worried about injury. I'm early twenties, reasonable shape, 165lbs. I train BJJ and use kettlbells somewhat frequently so my back shouldn't be as fragile as my Grandma's pinky.
What sort of weight should I start on? Any routines that are recommended? Videos to watch? Advice for a young whippersnapper such as myself?
5/14/13 11:44 AM
Shanle929
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pick up an ebook on the fighterdiet.com website. Titled deadlift. She knows her stuff. Good info Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 12:41 PM
quidditch
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get yourself a copy of 'Starting Strength'.
5/14/13 12:52 PM
shootfighterbull

Go to youtube to find 'form' videos, and then start at 135 and see what you can do. The only way to find out what you can pull is to do it. Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 7:33 PM
future_jabroni
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't be too worried about an injury. It sounds unlikely as you're in pretty good shape. Just try a real light weight at first until the form feels natural. The deadlift is the best lift, IMO. It will help your bjj.

The main tip that I can give to focus on sort of puffing out your chest that way you're not slouching. If your back is straight then your putting some strain on your back.
5/14/13 7:35 PM
banco

Just work your way up to a top set of 5 until you are lifting double bodyweight.
5/14/13 11:35 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go to this site and read every thing and you will come away with a wealth of lifting knowledge. ;)

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program
5/15/13 3:01 PM
ryans
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks guys! All solid advice. much appreciated
5/15/13 4:40 PM
mongrel 911
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There was a video of Grey Cook showing good solid basics for dead lifting form on youtube, but it appears to have been removed. If you can find it it is solid gold.

I also picked up Pavel and Boltons new book called dead lift dynamite its chocked full of great info.
5/19/13 8:38 AM
imkeithhernandez
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You could always use a trap bar...a lil bit different in the muscles targeted by doing the dead lift with it...but IMO much easier to learn proper form and safer Phone Post
5/21/13 11:30 AM
ryans

Thanks for the great advice guys. Started yesterday, very light just working on form more than anything - still, my whole body is hurting today (in a good way!).

Can't wait to start asking everybody if they 'even lift'. Might even start wearing a weightbelt to work over my suit.
5/21/13 2:28 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That'll get some strange looks. lol
5/21/13 4:34 PM
mongrel 911
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ryans - Thanks for the great advice guys. Started yesterday, very light just working on form more than anything - still, my whole body is hurting today (in a good way!).

Can't wait to start asking everybody if they 'even lift'. Might even start wearing a weightbelt to work over my suit.

The dead lift with all the variations is a lift you can study for life.

Also if you add an old school gray sweatsuit with the weight belt you'll be much cooler. Just yell "I wan to to pump you up".
5/22/13 5:34 AM
Robobear
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mongrel 911 - 
ryans - Thanks for the great advice guys. Started yesterday, very light just working on form more than anything - still, my whole body is hurting today (in a good way!).

The dead lift with all the variations is a lift you can study for life.

Also if you add an old school gray sweatsuit with the weight belt you'll be much cooler. Just yell "I wan to to pump you up".

He's too young to know what that's from. Only us mature dudes know what girly men are.

5/22/13 4:34 PM
mongrel 911

Robobear, yep I'm old skool, can you post this for inspiration please?

http://media.photobucket.com/user/thomiz_2007/media/hanz_franz.jpg.html?filters[term]=hanz%20and%20franz&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=0
5/23/13 12:29 PM
JamesDean57

mongrel 911 - Robobear, yep I'm old skool, can you post this for inspiration please?

http://media.photobucket.com/user/thomiz_2007/media/hanz_franz.jpg.html?filters[term]=hanz%20and%20franz&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=0

Now you are telling your age. lol
5/23/13 4:14 PM
andyman011

Watch a bunch of form videos on youtube, practice getting your back and hips in sync. If you want to do less than 135 to start, I would recommend getting it to the same height that a plate would be, otherwise the motion changes. People argue this over an inch.

Take it slow and really focus the form. Its more important than how much you can lift.

I would also like to second the guy that said to use a trap bar. It is safer and effective. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.