UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Faber: Motherf------, I’m still here

5/14/13 3:59 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Urijah Faber is certainly the UFC's most recognizable fighter in it's lower weight divisions, featherweight, bantamweight or flyweight. Faber has three times had a chance to regain a title after losing to Mike Brown, first versus Jose Aldo in the featherweight division in the WEC, then twice in the UFC's bantamweight division versus Dominick Cruz and then again vs. Renan Barao. 

And thus lies the conundrum. Faber is the most marketable but with three title shots already it's tough to justify another title shot. However, Faber has won his last two bouts impressively and he's again on the short list of number one contenders at bantamweight. And of course if he ask him, he's definitely right in the mix still:

“I think a lot of people like it better, but I do think there’s a mystique about a big guy fighting,” Faber said. “Just because people are impressed with things, like they can get their ass kicked by this big guy. Even though 99 percent of the time they’re wrong, they might not have the same feeling as the lighter weight fighters.”

So where does Faber go from here? He wants to see what happens between Barao and Eddie Wineland next month, though he’s already beaten Wineland. Someone like Brad Pickett is also a possibility.

The names have changed around him, but Faber has remained the constant. When Faber stormed onto the scene nine years ago guys like Kid Yamamoto and Pequeno Nogueira were at the top of the rankings in the lighter weight classes.

Faber has carried the torch for smaller guys into this next generation of MMA. The only problem is everyone else has struggled to catch up.

“I’ve been at the top for a long time,” Faber said. “To all the critics, all the people complaining about me getting another title shot – motherf------, I’m still here.”

read entire article...

5/14/13 4:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Y2JB
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Faber getting yet another title shot would shine a light on just how thin the lower weight divisions are right now, no pun intended.
5/14/13 4:39 PM
MahatmaPetey
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't forget the rematch with Brown. Phone Post
5/14/13 4:40 PM
MahatmaPetey
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MahatmaPetey - Don't forget the rematch with Brown. Phone Post
Eh, I guess it's fine. Phone Post
5/14/13 4:41 PM
Pat Giles
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He makes good fighters look like they don't belong, it's jus he's beaten them all except the champ for the most part. Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 4:41 PM
triso
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Y2JB - Faber getting yet another title shot would shine a light on just how thin the lower weight divisions are right now, no pun intended.

He's consistently floating around the top 5 of his divisions and he's a marketable sellable fight every time.
5/14/13 4:42 PM
ChaosOverkill
518 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/14/13 4:42 PM

Helweenie won't like this, he's preparing his next bait interview right now in his nerdcave

"Don't you just hate Faber??????"

"No actually we're friends and I respec..."

"NOOOOOOO You should hate him like I do, waaaah!"

5/14/13 4:43 PM
Doctor Sidney

5/14/13 4:43 PM
DoomFarmer
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cruz will just out point him again.

No desire to ever see the 2 fight again. Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 4:45 PM
markiz

Never heard him swear before.
5/14/13 4:48 PM
epwar
638 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you count his time in WEC under Zuffa, Faber has had a title shot in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.  So expect the annual title shot this fall.

5/14/13 4:54 PM
UGCTT_El Pescadero
2465 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War the Isla Vista kid!! Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 4:55 PM
pennviachoke
1102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Faber is a top 25 all time MMA fighter imo Phone Post
5/14/13 5:09 PM
Tomato Can
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pennviachoke -  Faber is a top 25 all time MMA fighter imo Phone Post

There's a decent argument for it. He's the #2 145er of all time, and at age 34 he's still the 3rd best 135er in the world.

The problem is that having lost to Cruz and Barao, he has no way to really "advance" anymore. I still love watching him fight, though. It's a shame we can't see him against Dantas and Fernandes.
5/14/13 5:16 PM
Damaynevent

He'd better pray Wineland pulls off a victory against Barao somehow because that's his only shot at another title. I'm not interested in watching him run after Cruz for 5 rounds. Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 5:18 PM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
I think faber should go to 125 and mendes goes v to bw. I think both could be champion there. We'll I know Chad could barao won't stop the takedown and won't know what to do with that power. People will down vote me bit Chad is a small fw and faber looked undersized against cruz. Phone Post
5/14/13 5:19 PM
Tomato Can
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When is Cruz slated to come back? Is he going to fight the Barao/Wineland winner or is there going to be another interim title defense after that?
5/14/13 5:36 PM
pennviachoke
1102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can -
pennviachoke -  Faber is a top 25 all time MMA fighter imo Phone Post

There's a decent argument for it. He's the #2 145er of all time, and at age 34 he's still the 3rd best 135er in the world.

The problem is that having lost to Cruz and Barao, he has no way to really "advance" anymore. I still love watching him fight, though. It's a shame we can't see him against Dantas and Fernandes.
+1 Phone Post
5/14/13 5:37 PM
yellow wrkahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bet the lot of you didn't realize it's Faber's birthday today.

Phone Post 3.0
5/14/13 5:43 PM
pennviachoke

I knew^^

Only because of twitter tho Phone Post
5/14/13 5:56 PM
hogh20

Is Faber up next for the 205 shot?
5/14/13 6:10 PM
FunDeath4u

Faber deserves all the title shots they give him. He is one of the most talented fighters in the history of the UFC and one tough sob. He's only lost to absolute monsters. Jose Aldo doesn't count because thats a given. No one will ever beat him. An one of the mike brown fights he had two broken hands and was still competitive with just elbows. Thats skill and toughness. I used to hate faber and I still have a tough time getting past that chin... But whatever faber is cool and he always puts on a good fight.
5/14/13 6:43 PM
Ryan Black
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Happy birthday to Urijah!

He always seems to find himself in that title shot grey-area. He'll get another one because of it I'm sure. And good for him. Hope he can find a way to capitalize on it and seize the moment. He seems like a good dude and his marketability is undeniable. Hope nothing but the best for him. War Faber. Phone Post
5/14/13 6:45 PM
pennviachoke

Pitbull3744 - He wins all the fights be has but a few title fights. If you want him off beat him off. Phone Post 3.0
Wait....wut? Phone Post
5/14/13 6:57 PM
themadhousecom

Faber made the WEC and he still has the talent to be a title holder with the UFC no one should write him off.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.