UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Is half guard a sub-standard guard..?

10/30/13 11:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
triso
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And how likely is it for you to maintain x-guard or DLR/reverse DLR under combat conditions?

IMO it's wishful thinking that you can hold those positions for an extended period of time under combat conditions. They're transitional positions that if attained can present great attacking opportunities if you move quickly.
10/30/13 11:47 AM
Muffinho
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You don't need to hold Reverse DLR in a combat situation.

You put your foot on their hip, frame and stand up. If it's MMA, whatever. If it's self defense, you get out of the situation.

If you get to x guard in combat, you're ending up on top. In self defense, if you're good enough to put someone in x guard, chances are that once you're on top you're going to break that idiot's face. If it's MMA, who cares stupid sport.
10/30/13 11:49 AM
Shemhazai
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

triso - And how likely is it for you to maintain x-guard or DLR/reverse DLR under combat conditions?

IMO it's wishful thinking that you can hold those positions for an extended period of time under combat conditions. They're transitional positions that if attained can present great attacking opportunities if you move quickly.

I don't wish to maintain, I wish to attack aggressively and either improve my position or get back to my feet. Hugging someone in my half guard is not my idea of a good time in a street fight.
10/30/13 11:58 AM
triso
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shemhazai - I'd much rather find myself in De La Riva or X-guard than half guard under 'combat conditions'.

Yeah it would be great to end up there, but against quality opponents you will more often than not end up in more traditional guards, especially in an MMA setting.
10/30/13 12:00 PM
triso

90lb_weakling -  Under "combat conditions" half guard would have to be played extremely tight to stay safe. But it would also be a half way point between lots of other things. Im very fond of half guard. But i agree with what people say about it making you passive.

Its a bad habit if you dont acknowledge it. Phone Post

Anyone that is playing half guard passively is playing it wrong. If you are not actively trying to prop up on an elbow, dig for the underhook, hip out to your side, and attack your opponents base you are being lazy.

There is no position on the bottom that should be played passively.
10/30/13 12:04 PM
triso

Edited: 10/30/13 12:05 PM
Not denying the effectiveness of sweeps from these positions.
10/31/13 12:24 AM
shin2chin
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cyborg did ok with his half guard at ADCC
10/31/13 2:59 AM
90lb_weakling
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tofally agree about passive half guard sucking ass. Like I said. I really like half. Im just confirming a problem a lot of half guard players seem to get. I think it most often develops on the lower levels because you get away with it there.

Lots of guys abandon it alltogether, blaming it on the guard itself when really they are just using it to recover and rest a lot. It turns into this really lazy guard that buys you some time, but at a terrible cost.

Personally its either old school or up to my knees for me. I dont have more than three sweeps. And mostly only end up doing two. Phone Post
11/1/13 12:02 AM
BigEyedFish
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - This thread reminds me of just a few years back when the Half-Guard was treated like the "key" to the BJJ universe.

IMO, work on what works for YOU, not what is "popular" at the moment.

It's pretty easy to adopt a "surface" understanding of any game. But if you shortly abandon that for the next cool thing, you don't gain much of a depth of understanding or skill. Seeking to "copy" the more organically-evolved game of elite "professional" BJJ competitors is not something I see work-out well for most "average Joe" BJJ players. They become Blue & Purple Belts who know a bunch of stuff and aren't very good with any of it. I really think this practice handicaps a lot of people in BJJ.

If you want to learn to box, then learn to box. Don't start intentionally "copying" Prince Naseem after 6 months. You are not him. Let your game evolve naturally as a representation of you.

this
11/3/13 6:45 PM
burner22
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub, sweet thread Phone Post 3.0
11/4/13 10:08 AM
deepu
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone know the answer to this?

What happened with the half guard rule where if top guy got bottom guy's shoulders flat, he would get an advantage? I thought they had scrapped that rule so I checked the official rules and all I find is this:

5.7.2 Advantage from Guard Pass
• When an athlete tries to pass guard and the opponent turns on all fours.
• When the athlete achieves half-guard position, with exception to reverse half-guard.
• When an athlete places a knee on his/her opponent's belly but only places the knee and not foot of his/her other leg on the
ground.

Also there's an asterisk related to this in the rules:

* The examples above are merely illustrative and do not represent the full array of situations that may warrant advantage points.

Does that mean, just getting to half guard gets you an advantage now if a ref decides to give it? That's even worse imo.
11/4/13 6:48 PM
shin2chin
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The IBJJF rules are a joke to me at this point.

Too complicated, too subjective.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.