UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Any advice for short people in bjj

5/15/13 2:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Acorn
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What should shorter people focus on? Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 2:34 AM
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a guy who is tall I can tell you that short guys are a pain to grapple with. I have the most trouble with short guys who do not give me any space to do anything.
5/15/13 4:00 AM
kying418
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marcelo Garcia is fairly short- 5'7-8", and plays a type of game that works well for people with short legs- focusing on guards like the butterfly guard, xguard, single leg x guard, etc, and not using the closed guard as much.
5/15/13 4:32 AM
JZilla
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah develop a strong open guard. Whether it's butterfly, X, spider or whatever
Guys like marcelo and Leozinho are fairly short and have been very successful against bigger guys

What height and weight division are you? Phone Post
5/15/13 11:22 AM
The Acorn
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JZilla - Yeah develop a strong open guard. Whether it's butterfly, X, spider or whatever
Guys like marcelo and Leozinho are fairly short and have been very successful against bigger guys

I'm 5'8 about 200 lb been training for about
3 months, haven't competed yet. Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 11:30 AM
TheBearStare
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

303 - As a guy who is tall I can tell you that short guys are a pain to grapple with. I have the most trouble with short guys who do not give me any space to do anything.
Completely true. To a certain extent I get intimidated rolling with short guys. I'm 6' 4. Its very difficult for me rolling with short guys with short limbs. I have to concentrate way more on being snug. So its something I know I have to do more often. But yeah always in the back of my mind I freak a bit all cause of one tournament match a few years ago at purple. Phone Post
5/15/13 11:37 AM
TheBearStare
307 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also know that as a short guy everything you do is naturally tighter in comparison to big guys. So maybe your triangle isn't as easy to set up but if you get it locked down its almost for sure super tight like hell. Everything you do is naturally more snug and tight. If you are short and explosive that's even deadlier because its hard for people to get a hold of you and you may get the advantag on scrambles. Even if you are short don't let that deter you from learning stuff. Learn everything with an open mind and when you are more experienced(not sure what belt you are) than filter out the bs that doesn't work for you. Watch Marcelo garcia. Phone Post
5/15/13 11:43 AM
Muffinho
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get taller.
5/15/13 11:57 AM
Judo Scott
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look up Jimmy Cerra on youtube. He's 5 foot I think and a beast
5/15/13 12:20 PM
Twizz
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Acorn -
JZilla - Yeah develop a strong open guard. Whether it's butterfly, X, spider or whatever

I'm 5'8 about 200 lb been training for about
3 months, haven't competed yet. Phone Post 3.0
5'8" isn't short buddy. I'm 5'6", so watch it.
Haha. In all seriousness, what I find works best for me is to work on both my bottom and top games. When you are generally the smaller guy in a match like myself, a strong side control goes a long way. I use a lot of tail chokes because it gives you a lot of control on a lankier/longer opponent. Like the other people said on here, your open guards are very important as well. In competition, use your size to your advantage. Takedowns and throws work better on people who are taller than you in some cases. Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 1:11 PM
JZilla
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm 5'7" about 230
I play half spider, spider and I'm working on butterfly

3 months into training I think you should work on what your instructor says and ultimately at this stage you are learning fundamentals so I think you have to spend time in closed guard and learning the basic triangle, even if they are both difficult for your frame and maybe something that you will not use too often in five years.
There will be opponents who give you trouble because they have long limbs but as some guys have said above, your short limbs will give them trouble too. Phone Post
5/15/13 1:35 PM
The Acorn

Muffinho - Get taller.
Lol Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 2:24 PM
bmoney
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

X-guard all day... I'm about average height (5'10"), but have shorter legs..it works like a charm.

5/15/13 2:37 PM
odennis
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm 5'6 180 pounds. I play a lot of de la riva and spider.
5/15/13 4:35 PM
BillyShalimar
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i agree with jzilla as to work on what your instructor is teaching and to learn the fundamentals. as you progress, you'll find out what works for you. as for me, i've been training for 3.5 years and i was primarily a closed guard, half guard, and dhg guy. now i'm incorporating butterfly and dlr into my game. i'm 5'6 162lbs btw... probably the shortest guy on this thread so far lol
5/15/13 4:58 PM
eviladam
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as a white and blue belt, just trane. after a couple years, you'll figure out what you are good at.
5/15/13 6:21 PM
The Gimp
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

test
5/15/13 7:09 PM
baby-silverback
359 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5'5" 180 open guard is current favorite to play. Crazy pressure on top, don't give them ANY space or openings to work. Scrambling advantages due to shorter turning radius.

Most important for your journey it's finding what works for your body type & the way you move. TRUST YOUR JIU JITSU Phone Post
5/15/13 8:18 PM
1chaino
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got no reason to live Phone Post
5/15/13 10:00 PM
pcuzz
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dont waste time with the triangle.
5/15/13 10:57 PM
Pride Wanderlei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pcuzz - Dont waste time with the triangle.
Why? Im 5'8" I get it quite abit.

Also, just wondering...how tall is Caio Terra? Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 11:04 PM
Muffinho
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not just height that's important, it's height and weight relationships. Caio is like 5'7, but that's lanky as hell at rooster weight.

I'm 6'1, that doesn't tell you anything about my build. I can be 6'1 260lbs and have completely different physical limitations than someone who 6'1 181lbs.

5/15/13 11:08 PM
Muffinho

Another thing: I don;t like trying to predetermine a style of BJJ based on physical abilities. You learn and grow into your own BJJ. You'll find the things that work best for your body and your personality. Sure, you should watch guys with similar dimensions and try what they do, but try everything just in case. When you get closer to the end of your blue belt (assuming strict grading standards), you'll have a better idea of what game works best for you (your body, your personality etc).

5/15/13 11:59 PM
Shinsplint
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I train with a guy that's 4'11 about 155 lbs. He quick in scrambles and his defense + stocky build makes him difficult for some to deal with. He finds ways to adapt techniques to his body type.
5/16/13 12:04 AM
Pride Wanderlei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Muffinho - It's not just height that's important, it's height and weight relationships. Caio is like 5'7, but that's lanky as hell at rooster weight.

I'm 6'1, that doesn't tell you anything about my build. I can be 6'1 260lbs and have completely different physical limitations than someone who 6'1 181lbs.

Good point. Im 5'8" and about 145 Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.