UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Carwin: It's like a weight lifted off my shoulders

5/15/13 11:54 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Earlier this month UFC heavyweight Shane Carwin announced his retirement from the UFC and sport of mixed martial arts. The announcement was unexpected from fans and the media alike, but it's something Carwin put a lot of thought into and seems to be content with his decision:

Carwin's decision had been a few months in the making, precipitated by a knee injury that sidelined him from a headlining bout against fellow Ultimate Fighter 16 coach Roy Nelson last December. The final confirmation came in the form of a letter from Carwin's spine surgeon, who recommended he step down from combat sports' competition entirely.

"Once the knee got better, I tried to go back to training and had problems with my spine, my lower back.," said Carwin. "That [letter] obviously made the decision for me, for us."

With all said and done, Carwin walks away from professional sports with six bulging and an additional three ruptured discs. He's also developed foraminal stenosis and arthritis.

Foraminal stenosis, which narrows the passage that the spinal cord runs through and constricts on the nerve roots, carries symptoms like numbness, weakness, burning sensations, tingling and "pins and needles" in the arms and legs. This and Carwin's arthritis made for some uncomfortable-to-excruciating training sessions at Denver's Grudge Training Center over the last few years, as he prepared for bouts against Gabriel Gonzaga, Frank Mir and Brock Lesnar. Still, each practice Carwin cringed through allowed the lifelong athlete one more day to participate in a sport he loved.

"What was tough for me was sports are what I've done since age six, so I struggled with that for a little bit," said Carwin. "[But at the same time,] I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders because it has been a struggle these last two, three, four years being in pain all of the time."

read entire article... 

5/15/13 11:58 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just want to wish Shane all the best in whatever he wants to do with his future. What a great run he had at the title and was always exciting to watch. I'll miss his fights. Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 11:58 AM
UGCTT_El Pescadero
2672 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude was a beast in the cage!! Hope what ever he does with his life now brings him pain free happiness and success! Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 12:01 PM
Æsbiorn von Øystæin
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have friends who personally know Shane and every one of them all say how incredible of a human being Shane is. I wish him all the best. Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 12:02 PM
Hamo808
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Prayers for a blessed healing process! God bless!!! Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 12:02 PM
RickStorm
1826 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Forum Admin

Best wishes and good luck in the future Shane. Always fun to watch you fight, and will always be a fan

5/15/13 12:04 PM
ChaosOverkill
624 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish him luck in anything he does from here on out.

Should be proud of what he accomplished

5/15/13 12:08 PM
NomoRomophobia
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best of luck Shane.
Now, get back here! Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 12:20 PM
juicer
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill -

I wish him luck in anything he does from here on out.

Should be proud of what he accomplished

This. Always looked forward to Shane's fights. Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 12:25 PM
LittleJoeMama
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Training at that level and that size has got to put unbelievable amounts of stress on your body. Best of luck Shane.
5/15/13 12:42 PM
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

imagine if this guy came into mma in his youth.
5/15/13 2:18 PM
Saltyballs
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All the best to Shane! I really enjoyed watching his fights.

5/15/13 4:02 PM
RearNakedToke
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't imagine how that guys back feels. I have had back problems ever since a car wreck when I was 17. Years of football and carrying a pack in the military messed me up good, but after losing a lot of weight my knees and back thank me. Sitting at a desk kills though and my back isn't nearly as jacked up as Carwin.

I hope sitting at his engineer job doesn't make his back even more painful, but it sounds like he's screwed when it comes to avoiding back pain forever.

Isn't Monson on the same boat (major back trouble) minus the UFC money? Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 4:10 PM
Motivated Penn
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had three surgeries for three ruptured discs. The symptoms and degrees vary a lot, but the last one was crippling.

Shane had multiple simultaneous ruptured discs and still fought the top guys. Mad respect.
5/15/13 4:22 PM
6ULDV8
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All the best boss.  You're a beast.

He should become a mod here now.  That would be AMAZING!

5/15/13 4:27 PM
BobD
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^^^  HaHaHa Epic

1. Get enraged at MOD
  2. Track him down
  3. Go to his House
  4. Find  Carwin
5/15/13 4:36 PM
BackAndLeft
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wish Shane nothing but the best. He's a legend in my book. Phone Post
5/15/13 4:48 PM
6ULDV8
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Rogan just said on another thread that Kirik should clean house because of the negativity.

Could you imagine a sprinkling of Shane Carwin modding power?  

Clean house indeed, and then smash it to the ground and break all its teeth out, because son, you need to be more positive.

It would be GLORIOUS!

5/15/13 5:21 PM
BigTedBear
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wish Shane all the best in his future endeavors I presume he will still be back at his Engineering job always seemed like he loved his job. Phone Post
5/15/13 5:26 PM
Leghound
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping=Gatekeeper4Life - I just want to wish Shane all the best in whatever he wants to do with his future. What a great run he had at the title and was always exciting to watch. I'll miss his fights. Phone Post 3.0

Agree

5/15/13 5:39 PM
6ULDV8

TTT

5/15/13 6:42 PM
Macedawgg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sid22 - spinal stenosis is brutal....Marcus mcneil Left tackle for the San Diego chargers has it he only played for 6 years b4 having to retire..Shane Carwin fought till much later in age it must have been really hard for him...I saw him fight JDS live in Vancouver and the guy had so much heart...I wish him all the best

That is amazing--with a back like that.  Carwin must have been in excruciating pain--on good days. 

5/15/13 7:41 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He was/is a beast with a massive heart.

Why does that Luke Thomas guy give him so much grief? Phone Post 3.0
5/15/13 7:44 PM
Hillary
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Once a fan, always a fan. Great dude and making the best decision for his family. Best of luck in the future.
5/15/13 7:45 PM
TexasBadAss
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's one of the more under rated fighters out there. Really happy that he walks away on his own terms and can hopefully use his new free time to heal. Class act.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.