UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Rickson's connection theory

5/16/13 8:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Stubbsy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John Frankl - The title references Rickson. Connection is real and important. But Rickson never tried to show it through choreographed BS.

You just said it a whole lot quicker than I did.
5/16/13 8:27 PM
Newaza freak
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can even go as far as trying to apply the same principle to striking,without even having actual body connection. Why do they tell Boxers to look that the core of the body instead of the eyes ?

The core is going to warn you or advise you of which direction a strike might be originating from. Great advantage,when it comes to getting the upper hand on a initial attack and being ready to counters it.

Same osmosis principle here without feel ...you still have to train long and hard and with actual resistence in order to really learn how to avoid and counter a real strike,grappling should be no different in this respect. Phone Post 3.0
5/16/13 8:32 PM
vegard
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I took a Rickson seminar in Miami last summer. He showed how he likes to sprawl with his hip and then transfer his weight to his upper chest on opponent's upper back. Then he pikes his hips up and stutter steps away to break down the opponent and kill his grip around the legs. The technique was very simple and effective. It was also something that I'd never been shown in 12+ years.

One of the participants was not able to make it work on a really strong guy. They asked Rickson if he could demonstrate against the strong guy. They started from knees with Rickson trying to sprawl out of a double leg. First attempt he got close to it working but struggled and got taken down. Second time he got it to work.

Definitely not like that aikido nonsense.

I've trained with several aikido black belts who also train in jiu jitsu -- one is bjj bb -- and I never notice any special unbalancing skills like demonstrated in that video.
5/16/13 9:30 PM
shark tank
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vegard - I took a Rickson seminar in Miami last summer. He showed how he likes to sprawl with his hip and then transfer his weight to his upper chest on opponent's upper back. Then he pikes his hips up and stutter steps away to break down the opponent and kill his grip around the legs. The technique was very simple and effective. It was also something that I'd never been shown in 12+ years.

One of the participants was not able to make it work on a really strong guy. They asked Rickson if he could demonstrate against the strong guy. They started from knees with Rickson trying to sprawl out of a double leg. First attempt he got close to it working but struggled and got taken down. Second time he got it to work.

Definitely not like that aikido nonsense.

I've trained with several aikido black belts who also train in jiu jitsu -- one is bjj bb -- and I never notice any special unbalancing skills like demonstrated in that video.

i have tried using that sprawl a bit in training but notice that if they get my legs, i have to use my hips to create space (like a normal wrestling sprawl). i know Rickson's works because i was doing it correctly at the seminar, but i think i've lost a few details along the way and can't do it as effectively. it would be great to train these techniques daily with knowledgable practitioners instead of trying to figure out the details from my crappy notes i took.
5/16/13 9:54 PM
JRockwell
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Request for vid of the Rickson sprawl! First time I'm hearing of it. Phone Post
5/16/13 11:10 PM
gurukripa
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm pretty sure Rickson learned this from Steve Seagal
5/18/13 10:30 AM
shark tank
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

from my understanding, rickson's sprawl creates space by putting pressure downward with your chest on their back while moving your hips back and away from your opponent.

a wrestling sprawl uses the hips/pelvis more to drive into the opponent putting pressure on the arms to disengage from you legs.

Vegard has a more thorough understanding of jiu jitsu than i do and can probably explain it better.
5/18/13 11:25 AM
bsktrap
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So some BJJ guys train Aikido for their takedowns? This explains a lot!
5/18/13 11:27 AM
Truemanc3
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing I have learnt in Martial arts is when you start thinking that a martial art has no value its then you get a suprise.

Martial arts have been around for hundreds of years because they all have value.... even the ones we think are crap and have no value...

A martial art is as good as what it was intended to do.

I have never taken an Aikido class in my life but I bet if the Aikido guy trained in BJJ or other MA after a while he would be able to apply sKills he has learnt in Aikido within the new MA...
5/18/13 1:00 PM
BEEF & CHEESE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^that's political correctness bullshit. And Aikido isn't even a hundred years old yet. Phone Post 3.0
5/18/13 1:08 PM
SMACDADDY
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post
5/18/13 3:18 PM
Calibur1980
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BEEF & CHEESE - ^that's political correctness bullshit. And Aikido isn't even a hundred years old yet. Phone Post 3.0
Lol. Yeah. BJJ is older than Aikido. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.