UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Worst part about the Diaz thing....

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
5/17/13 10:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jason
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Site Admin

Is him and his manager trying to cop out like its not a derogatory comment about gay people.

Unless you have lived under a rock for the past 30 years you know exactly what "fag" means in the country.

Why can't people EVER just fucking own it and just apologize? There has to be hundreds of examples in recent history showing us how quick things pass over if people just apologize and move on rather than try to justify or make excuses. Phone Post 3.0
5/17/13 10:57 AM
Dana Stern
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree, and Nate isn't dumb, why do that to yourself. Phone Post
5/17/13 10:58 AM
Flyers179

Cue Louis CK bit.
5/17/13 10:59 AM
ShawnTheBadger
436 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jason - Is him and his manager trying to cop out like its not a derogatory comment about gay people.

Unless you have lived under a rock for the past 30 years you know exactly what "fag" means in the country.

Why can't people EVER just fucking own it and just apologize? There has to be hundreds of examples in recent history showing us how quick things pass over if people just apologize and move on rather than try to justify or make excuses. Phone Post 3.0

Thank you sir for your common sense.

Voted UP.

5/17/13 11:00 AM
TuLegit

I think it's just bad for Nates relationship with Zuffa. I was expecting him to be super professional and apologize for Nates behavior (which isn't a big deal IMO) but a managers job is to be over the top professional and apologetic in these situations. Not a wannabe diaz. Phone Post 3.0
5/17/13 11:03 AM
Diazed And Confused
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd get fired if I called my boss a fag as well Phone Post 3.0
5/17/13 11:06 AM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

they should have just claimned nate got his twitter hacked...no way the ufc can prove that wrong

5/17/13 11:09 AM
BTT-RyannVonDoom

Diazed And Confused - I'd get fired if I called my boss a fag as well Phone Post 3.0
You do know diaz was talking about caraway, right? Dont go full retard. Phone Post 3.0
5/17/13 11:15 AM
roperninja
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think you should be able to censor people on the Internet. Supposed to be tolerant of those with a different lifestyle but not tolerant of other people who's lifestyle is to say offensive shit? Who cares. I thought that's what this whole liberal tolerance shit was about; oh wait it is, unless you're on the wrong side of the issue? Phone Post 3.0
5/17/13 11:15 AM
Haulport

Why should he apologize?

Joe Rogan (who I love) runs around calling religion and religious people stupid and ridicules the Pope and he is 100% serious and he doesn't have to apologize to all the Christians he offends. So why does nate have to apologize to all the Gay people he offends by calling a non-gay guy a "fag"?

Maybe everyone in this society should just FUCKING RELAX and stop being such a bunch of whining fucking victim bitches.

5/17/13 11:17 AM
GregNoActionJackson
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't get it. Most of the time when someone uses the word fag they aren't referring to homosexuals at all. In fact i almost never hear fag being used in that manner. Its a Fucking word. Didn't we learn in grade school "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me" the world needs to remove the sand from it's vagina and move forward.

Before i get bashed i want to make it clear that i support the gay community and am not condoning slanderous hate but making an observation on my experiences with that word and my thoughts on how the world should act when it comes to words. Phone Post
5/17/13 11:17 AM
Rockstars
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MARC BULGER - Unless Caraway is a fag I would think you would know what context meant. How is he a fag? Banging Miesha. All his manager did was clarify the context.

Do you people really think Diaz was calling him out on being gay? Does he know something we don't? Phone Post
Hit the nail on the head. People honestly think he was calling him a homosexual? Phone Post 3.0
5/17/13 11:18 AM
ShawnTheBadger
436 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MARC BULGER -  Unless Caraway is a fag I would think you would know what context meant. How is he a fag? Banging Miesha. All his manager did was clarify the context.

Do you people really think Diaz was calling him out on being gay? Does he know something we don't? Phone Post

"I mention this partly to make note of the casual homophobia that pervades American boyhood, but mostly to hold up a mirror to the nature of homophobic insults. Unlike hate speech centering on an identifiable trait of its target - race, religion, etc.. - antigay slurs are more often than not directed at straight men, ascribing perceived traits of a homosexual man. This is metaphorical hate speech, less insulting to its direct target that to the group with which the target is being compared. To call a straight man gay, as Jerry Seinfeld famously observed, is to strongly imply that there's something wrong with that."
From Real Fighter Magazine, author Michael Brick.

The best case scenario is that Nate was using metaphorical hate-speech.

The worst case scenario is that Nate was using a clear, well-defined, bigoted slur.

It does NOT matter what juvenile, ignorant and thinly-disguised excuse of a "definition" that Nate operates under.

What matters is what the majority of Americans, including the UFC-brass, think the word means.

5/17/13 11:18 AM
ortman166

Fuck that, this whole thing is fucking dumb, let fighter fight and quit pushing this far left bullshit. Phone Post 3.0
5/17/13 11:22 AM
ortman166

Personally I think the word retard should be far more offensive, people say that all the time and there are tons of retarded people that can do nothing about being retarded, and if Nate had called caraway a retard instead nothing would happen. But everyone is so worried about offending someone who chooses to be a sexual deviant, that no one thinks about common sense anymore. Phone Post 3.0
5/17/13 11:23 AM
GroundStPound

Dana called Loretta Hunt a retard and cunt and other reporters faggots....then went and then dropped a million bucks on black jack.

Rogan uses the word fag and nigga every other podcast.

Double standards much? Phone Post 3.0
5/17/13 11:24 AM
snobordr
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ShawnTheBadger - 
MARC BULGER -  Unless Caraway is a fag I would think you would know what context meant. How is he a fag? Banging Miesha. All his manager did was clarify the context.

"I mention this partly to make note of the casual homophobia that pervades American boyhood, but mostly to hold up a mirror to the nature of homophobic insults. Unlike hate speech centering on an identifiable trait of its target - race, religion, etc.. - antigay slurs are more often than not directed at straight men, ascribing perceived traits of a homosexual man. This is metaphorical hate speech, less insulting to its direct target that to the group with which the target is being compared. To call a straight man gay, as Jerry Seinfeld famously observed, is to strongly imply that there's something wrong with that."

The worst case scenario is that Nate was using a clear, well-defined, bigoted slur.

It does NOT matter what juvenile, ignorant and thinly-disguised excuse of a "definition" that Nate operates under.

What matters is what the majority of Americans, including the UFC-brass, think the word means.

Vote up for Shawn.

What also matters is how Budweiser, Gatorade, Under Armor, Nike, and any one of the big sponsors that the UFC and all these fighters are so eager to land view this type of thing.  Major corporate sponsors are not always of the opinion that "any publicity is good publicity".  This type of thing does not make them want to open their checkbooks.

5/17/13 11:25 AM
trobinson21

Jason - Is him and his manager trying to cop out like its not a derogatory comment about gay people.

Jesus people, when me and my buddies were 12 years old we said Fag, and we had no idea dudes actually had sex with each other.

If you folks want to come out of the closet handle that, do.t act like saying Fag is like raping your sister. Phone Post
5/17/13 11:26 AM
Death Beast

I agree the line is getting blurred about what really is 'hate speech' and what is acceptable trash talking, but either way Nate should've just apologized and said "I should've just called him a punk or a bitch to avoid the misunderstanding".

I don't see Bisping being cut or fined over calling Lombard a midget though and little people find that word offensive so they need to either go full mentally handicapped and penalize evenly for every offense or relax and look at the context of what's being said before overreacting.
5/17/13 11:28 AM
roperninja
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lets use our knees and elbows to scar our fellow athletes body forever, but daggumit you better watch what you say to them! Phone Post 3.0
roperninja

Kirby vacuums are a waste of hard earned money. Phone Post 3.0
GroundStPound

FYI
5/17/13 11:31 AM
Fattiecorpuscle
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So...

What you're implying is that Bryan Caraway is gay?

I'd be more offended by that then if somebody called me a fag for doing/saying something ridiculous. Phone Post
5/17/13 11:33 AM
ShawnTheBadger

snobordr - 
ShawnTheBadger - 

Vote up for Shawn.

What also matters is how Budweiser, Gatorade, Under Armor, Nike, and any one of the big sponsors that the UFC and all these fighters are so eager to land view this type of thing.  Major corporate sponsors are not always of the opinion that "any publicity is good publicity".  This type of thing does not make them want to open their checkbooks.

Thanks, I've lost a few vote-ups during this debate for simply stating my opinion and viewpoint.

To elaborate on your point, this is exactly what Budweiser ($$$$) had to say on this topic.

On April 25, 2012, AdAge reported that Anheuser-Busch made the following statement:

We’ve communicated to the UFC our displeasure with certain remarks  
     made by some of its fighters, and they have promised to address this. If
     the incidents continue, we will act.  [We] embrac[e] diversity and [do] not
     condone insensitive and derogatory comments rooted in ethnicity, race,
     religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability, etc.

I wil venture a *wild guess* that Nike, Harley Davidson, Under Armor and Gatorade would all concur with Anheuser-Busch.
5/17/13 11:34 AM
LucasBTiger
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MARC BULGER - Unless Caraway is a fag I would think you would know what context meant. How is he a fag? Banging Miesha. All his manager did was clarify the context.

People are far too sensitive to ANY issue, these days. If someone is clearly hetero - and getting inside a gooood looking chick regularly - how could this possibly be referencing homosexuality?

Oh, "it may offend the gay community"? If something that was not intended for them upset them, that's on them.

Cue the "what if the N word was used for something different..." from the bleeding hearts. Not even close.

That being said... DUURRRRR DIAZ! That was dumb as Nick to say publicly. That word is going to immediately incite trouble and piss folks off.

That's why I only use it on Knuckleballs. Phone Post 3.0
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.