UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Diaz manager: 'Fag' means bitch not gay

5/17/13 10:58 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Pat Healy made a financially disastrous decision to smoke marijuana prior to his fight with Jim Miller last month at UFC 159, which saw him awarded not one but two $65,000 performance bonuses. When a test administered by the Nevada State Athletic Commission came back positive for marijuana, the bout result was changed to NC, and Healy was out $130,000.

The $65,000 bonus for Submission of the Night went to Bryan Caraway. Caraway then expressed enthusiasm for the bonus, and disdain for marijuana use.

"I couldn't be more happy, and it was an insanely pleasant surprise," said Caraway.

"All I've got to say is that's some expensive weed. I like Healy a lot. I came up through the fighting ranks with him. We used to train together at Team Quest. I love the guy. But I have absolutely zero remorse or guilt.

"I hate weed. I cannot stand it. I've never tried it. I've never smoked a drug in my life. So I have absolutely zero tolerance for people that do it. I don't care if it's legal in some places or not. I think it's absolutely ridiculous. Whether it's legal in real life or not, they tell you to follow the rules. You need to follow the rules."

"There's going to be haters in this sport, but I know I'm a genuinely good person, and I know that's eventually going to shine through. People are going to start seeing my character and that I'm a tough dude. It does feel good to get recognition. It's welcoming."

Nate Diaz took pointed offense at the remarks.

"I feel bad for pat Healy that they took a innocent mans money," tweeted Diaz. "And I think the guy who took the money is the biggest Fag in the world."

"#sorryasslittlebitch"

In response, Diaz has been suspended by the UFC, pending the results of and internal investigation. The UFC recently instituted a formal code of conduct that bars fighters from using discriminatory or derogatory language.

"We are going to fine, suspend or cut him," said UFC president Dana White. "One or two of those three will happen."

However, in a conversation with MMAJunkie, Diaz's manager Mike Kogan said that the use of the term was not a slur against homosexuals, but rather a general term of disparagement.

"Nate voiced a personal opinion about an incident that took place involving Bryan Caraway in which he chased Dana all over Twitter to try to get a bonus, which was taken away from Pat Healy, got the bonus, and then had the nerve to go back out there and bash the guy and talk s--- about weed-smoking and how much he hates it and how it's wrong, which was, at best, a s--- move on his side," said Kogan.

"Guess what? The word faggot, at least in Northern California, and where Nate is from, means bitch. It means you're a little punk. It has nothing to do with homosexuals at all. So when Nate made the comment that he made, he didn't make it in reference to homosexuals or calling Caraway a homosexual. He just said it was a bitch move."

Kogan was asked whether prominent fighters are held to a highter standard of conduct in social media.

"How people take it is beyond my control," said Kogan. "But that's what his intent was. And it was a bitch move, for the record. Pat Healy? It's not like Pat Healy is Georges St-Pierre and he could afford it. That was probably the most money he's ever made in his life. And because of something he did I'm pretty sure way before the fight ... it's not like he walked out into the cage with f---ing weed in his mouth. He got fined. He doesn't need somebody else dwelling over it.

"I'm sure some people got offended, and hopefully this article will explain what his intent was. But how people view it is how people view it. I can't control that. His intent was not to make a derogatory term toward homosexuals. He used the word to refer to a punk or a bitch."

Diaz was not the sole figure to take umbrage at Caraway.

Bellator fighter Michelle Ould, too weighed in, via Twitter.

Michelle Ould ‏@MichelleOuldMMA
Dude use to sell my ex roommate PED's - but he hates weed -go figure

FightDiscussion ‏@FightDiscussion
@MichelleOuldMMA seriously? I heard this and came to look for myself

yep

Caraway flatly denied the accusation during an extended back and forth with Ould.

Bryan Caraway ‏@BryanCaraway
@MichelleOuldMMA Thats a F'ing Lie 100% either on your part or whoever your roommate is so Nice try on getting a lil attention. SMH

@BryanCaraway  if I wanted attn I woulda said Sumn years ago-I just kno what she told me. And ur ex. N couple other ppl.

Bryan Caraway ‏@BryanCaraway
@MichelleOuldMMA well I swear on everything that's not true. And my Ex??? U might have me confused w some1 else?

@BryanCaraway no Hun-not confused. Who knows maybe every1 is Lyin on u-I'm not out 2 get u I just feel---well, glass houses-ya kno?

5/17/13 11:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Festus
339 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I feel bad for pat Healy that they took a innocent mans money," tweeted Diaz, adding "and I think the guy who took the money is the biggest Fag in the world."

I thought at first he was calling dfw jr a fag for taking the money away. Phone Post
5/17/13 11:05 AM
Ingrained Media
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ingrained Media, President
Kogan's vocabulary could confuse Urban Dictionary.

Mike Kogan
10/20/12

to me, roy
NO when I said retarded I meant it as a complement. Ok good can't say ima miss our exchanges. SEE YOU DEC 15

Thank you

Mike

-----

send from my Samsung ® Galaxy S3 phone on a T-Mobile ® 4G network

On Oct 20, 2012 10:11 AM, "Ingrained Media" wrote:
Is "retarded" a negative now. Not surprising from a guy who uses the N word.

We are done talking now. I understand Roy was lying when he said he would pay. Makes sense.

---Please excuse the typos. Sent from my mobile.---

Mike Kogan wrote:
Dude are you smoking cracked? Now I know why you and, Shane work together you both bordering on retarded. Letttttttt me sayyyyyyy this slowwwwwwllllllyyyyyy for you. Roy isn't scared of Shane and isn't trying to get out of the fight. I'm glad your client decided to go clean. From the looks of him at the hdnet studios they were taking a toll on him. Now get a life and stop worrying about ours. See you December 15

Thank you

Mike
5/17/13 11:08 AM
ShawnTheBadger
429 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I'm sure some people got offended, and hopefully this article will explain what his intent was. But how people view it is how people view it. I can't control that. His intent was not to make a derogatory term toward homosexuals. He used the word to refer to a punk or a bitch."

What a total and complete dumbass.

It does NOT fucking matter "what the word means" in Nates little world of the 209.  (Nates "definition" by-the-way, means the word is still metaphorical hate speech.)

What matters is how a huge majority of the American population views the word.  In particular how the UFC-brass views the word, which is how the word is currently defined in nearly every single legit on-line dictionary.

Nate needs to man-up, apologize, do the Mitrione-shuffle, and move forward.

5/17/13 11:14 AM
Rockstars
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's really crazy that people get all bent out of shape because of a word. Phone Post 3.0
5/17/13 11:14 AM
UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS
293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kogan is really a manager? Did Diaz look for the most unprofessional goon to represent him?

5/17/13 11:16 AM
snobordr
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

Is Kogan Healy's manager too?  I can't figure out why he and Nate are so concerned with the situation and Healy's money.

They're worried that it sets precedent.  If Nate/Nick ever win a FOTN or KO/Sub bonus, then piss green, they'll lose their money also.

FWIW, Kogan seems like a moron.  DFW already said it was in the contracts, those bonuses are held until the tests come back. It's not like it's discretionary, or they're doing it to Healy out of meanness.  It (losing the bonus for flunking the test) would have happened to anyone.

We have no idea if DFW is going to do anything or did do anything "under the table" for Healy.  Maybe, maybe not.  But the public stuff, the bonuses that everyone knows about that are specifically mentioned in the contracts, he doesn't have much choice about that.  It's too slippery to start arbitrarily enforcing or not enforcing specific parts of contracts.  

5/17/13 11:17 AM
NukerMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Initiated Gnostic Radio, Host

this is so stupid its mindblowing.

Who the fuck cares what he mean't. Freedom of speech in a free country.  I dont see Caraway getting suspended for bashing pot. (offends potheads)

This is why I don't watch MMA anymore. So many vaginas.

5/17/13 11:20 AM
Death Beast

MARC BULGER -  Are we putting Fag in the same class of Nigger? If so I want a good explanation why. Fag ain't that hurtful of a word. It's like Cracker to me. Gay people act like victims so they can try to marry. Phone Post

So this went from Healy being penalized to gay marriage. Gotta love the UG

5/17/13 11:22 AM
IamPUBLICaboutMYloveFORrap

lol we know what means it he said homo or queer or gay ass bitch we would get he meant homosexual Phone Post
5/17/13 11:23 AM
ShawnTheBadger
429 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP24 - I'm sure that when Nate used that word, he wasn't referring to Caraway bring a homosexual.

Some of these fighters need to delete their twitters. Too easy to mess up. Phone Post 3.0

Yes, he was in fact inferring that Caraway is a homosexual.

"I mention this partly to make note of the casual homophobia that pervades American boyhood, but mostly to hold up a mirror to the nature of homophobic insults. Unlike hate speech centering on an identifiable trait of its target - race, religion, etc.. - antigay slurs are more often than not directed at straight men, ascribing perceived traits of a homosexual man. This is metaphorical hate speech, less insulting to its direct target that to the group with which the target is being compared. To call a straight man gay, as Jerry Seinfeld famously observed, is to strongly imply that there's something wrong with that."
From Real Fighter Magazine, author Michael Brick.

5/17/13 11:32 AM
Johnny D
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So it was Nate not Nick ?? I'm sure Dana has thick skin but calling your boss a fag is a little out of line, no matter what it means. Phone Post 3.0
5/17/13 11:36 AM
Kung Fu Joe
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL @ Kogan's response.

"Nick wasn't trying to imply there was something wrong with homosexuals! He's saying there's something wrong with WOMEN! He meant that Healy is a bitch, not that he's a fag!" Phone Post
5/17/13 11:40 AM
epwar
612 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And people wonder why the Diaz brothers are the way they are.  Yet ANOTHER example of them being coddled by those around them.  "You didn't do anything wrong, bro.  It isn't your fault."

5/17/13 11:40 AM
UGCTT_LastCall
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caraway said, specifically, that he'd never "smoked" a drug in his life. IMO - that leaves open the possibility of popping pills...like some of his training partners have been known to do.

Just sayin'...
5/17/13 11:41 AM
epwar
612 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NukerMMA - 

this is so stupid its mindblowing.

Who the fuck cares what he mean't. Freedom of speech in a free country.  I dont see Caraway getting suspended for bashing pot. (offends potheads)

This is why I don't watch MMA anymore. So many vaginas.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd the obligatory "guy who doesn't understand what freedom of speech means" post.

5/17/13 11:42 AM
PeaceThroughStrength

It's ok for a private company to have a set of rules their employs must follow.
What I can't stand is Dana White Kowtowing to the political correctness crowd.
How anyone can be ok with people being told what they can and can't say is amazing to me.
5/17/13 11:49 AM
Compression
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This politically correct shit has to go! Fag, homo, queer, fruit, etc... are words used on a daily basis for a long time now & 99% of the time it isn't used to hate gay people. I have gay friends who use words like this in the same way Diaz was. We need to stop letting the over sensitive people run our lives, it's out of control! If your gay who cares, but it's not anyone else fault but your own if you are still insecure about it in todays day & age. The pot thing is out of control too with fighters getting suspended. It's not like it is giving them any form of advantage in the fight. A rule is a rule so that is why Healy got suspended, but to take both his bonuses when Dana clearly knew how much Pat needed the money is down right fucked up. He got suspended & can't make money, that is a big enough punishment. I never touched a drug in my life either & I still feel this way.
5/17/13 11:49 AM
Nagaho
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kogan is an idiot. A punk is someone who takes it in the ass in prison. Calling a man a bitch is calling him effeminate, less than a man. Shut up, you're not helping your client.
5/17/13 12:01 PM
brianlg

Edited: 05/17/13 12:01 PM
the only problem is: "fag/faggot" doesn't mean 'punk' or 'bitch'. <br /><br />It's like calling him a n*gger, but saying that it doesn't mean what it used to. it means 'punk'
5/17/13 12:14 PM
ender852
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MARC BULGER -  Are we putting Fag in the same class of Nigger? If so I want a good explanation why. Fag ain't that hurtful of a word. It's like Cracker to me. Gay people act like victims so they can try to marry. Phone Post

Hate speech is hate speech. It is that simple.

5/17/13 12:20 PM
BshMstr
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

maybe Nate's taking the word back, ala' Clerks II.....
5/17/13 12:22 PM
MattyECB
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BshMstr - maybe Nate's taking the word back, ala' Clerks II.....

Hey now, my grandmother had nothing but the utmost respect for the Jewish community. She told me to treat the jewish boys nice or they'd put the Sheeney curse on me...
5/17/13 12:23 PM
MattyECB
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tebow Worships Satan - 
brianlg - the only problem is: "fag/faggot" doesn't mean 'punk' or 'bitch'. <br /><br />It's like calling him a n*gger, but saying that it doesn't mean what it used to. it means 'punk'
That's a stupid comparison. Faggot is no where near as vulgar as N*gger, fuck outta here with that bullshit. Phone Post

Not to mention they're pretty different. Faggy describes a type of behavior, not necessarily a sexual orientation.

Faggot used to mean bundle of sticks, gathering sticks was women's work, so effeminate men started getting called faggots.

I see nothing wrong with taking this word back lol I know too many straight faggots not to use the word.
5/17/13 12:23 PM
BshMstr
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MattyECB - 
BshMstr - maybe Nate's taking the word back, ala' Clerks II.....

Hey now, my grandmother had nothing but the utmost respect for the Jewish community. She told me to treat the jewish boys nice or they'd put the Sheeney curse on me...

LOL!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.