UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Receiving the Holy Ghost.

5/17/13 12:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Saint Stevo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Praise the Lord!

Have you received the Holy Ghost since you've believed?

How do we know when we have received the Holy Ghost.

Jesus explains how we know when we are born of the spirit in (John 3:8).

John 3:8
The wind blows where it wills, and you hear the sound thereof, but can not tell from where it came, and where it goes: so is everyone that is born of the Spirit.

Here he is speaking spiritually. In Acts 1 he tells his disciples to wait for him. and in (Acts 1:8)he explains after the Holy Ghost has come upon you then you are my witnesses.

Now in (Acts 2:1-4) it explains when the Holy Ghost was first poured out.

Acts 2:1-4
1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Notice in (Acts 2:2) it notes "as of a rushing mighty WIND".
Jesus said the HG is like the WIND in (John 3:8).

This is the first time the Holy Ghost was received. Let's see when the Gentiles received.

Acts 10:44-46
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

Here after Peter got done preaching the Gospel. The Holy Ghost fell on the Gentiles. Look where it notes that the Jews where amazed because the Gentile received the Holy Ghost like them. Why? because they spoke in tongues.

Lets continue reading into (Acts 11:15-16).
Here peter was explaining about when the Gentiles received the Holy Ghost like the Jews did in the beginning. We know the beginning is (Acts 2:1-4).

Acts 11:15-16
15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.

16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

Also note that Peter says Jesus will baptize with the Holy Ghost in verse 16, referencing speaking in tongues.

Let's continue on to Paul talking about the Holy Ghost.
(Acts 19:1-8) Paul runs into John baptist disciples.

Acts 19:1-7
And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,

2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

7 And all the men were about twelve.

We can see in here after the Holy Ghost comes upon you. You'll speak in tongues. Jesus said these signs will follow after those that believe in (Mark 16:17) speaking in tongues.
Jehovah said in Isaiah 28:11-12 in a new tongues he shall speak to his people.

So my friend. I'll ask again. Have you received the Holy ghost since you've believed?

God bless. In Jesus name. : )
5/17/13 1:50 PM
truthisalive
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check out my Post Rise up and be baptized in the name of JESUS to see real people being baptized in JESUS name and receiving the Holy GHost!!!!!
5/27/13 1:12 PM
gord96
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Holy Spirit is already in everyone. Everyone is born with a divine spark. Sadly it gets buried with worldliness and ego. Some work to uncover it, others don't and it gets buried even deeper.

5/28/13 1:02 AM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have, and have been refilled many times as well...any attempt to describe it only dulls its essence

Terms like living water flowing from your belly and fire in your mouth that you can't contain make no sense until you get the fire He sends! Phone Post 3.0
5/31/13 1:11 PM
Saint Stevo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gord96 - The Holy Spirit is already in everyone. Everyone is born with a divine spark. Sadly it gets buried with worldliness and ego. Some work to uncover it, others don't and it gets buried even deeper.

Please show the scripture where we are born with a divine spark.

I was born into sin and iniquity as well as you.

Psalm 51:5
Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
5/31/13 1:12 PM
Saint Stevo

DyingBreed - I have, and have been refilled many times as well...any attempt to describe it only dulls its essence

Terms like living water flowing from your belly and fire in your mouth that you can't contain make no sense until you get the fire He sends! Phone Post 3.0

This is truth.
5/31/13 6:54 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh the oldest issue ever. Tongues and the Baptism. I have been prayed over, hands laid on me, everything. I never spoke in tongues. Never. Its like a hypnotist and other death touch people. You believe in it, they will hypnotise you, you are logically waiting for God to do something and nothing happens. 

You can't honestly say you just spontaneously spoke in tongues unless you allowed yourself to be influenced by others and picked up the jibberish

5/31/13 7:40 PM
Saint Stevo

zealot66 - 

Oh the oldest issue ever. Tongues and the Baptism. I have been prayed over, hands laid on me, everything. I never spoke in tongues. Never. Its like a hypnotist and other death touch people. You believe in it, they will hypnotise you, you are logically waiting for God to do something and nothing happens. 

You can't honestly say you just spontaneously spoke in tongues unless you allowed yourself to be influenced by others and picked up the jibberish

Matthew 9
23 And when Jesus came into the ruler's house, and saw the minstrels and the people making a noise,
24 He said unto them, Give place: for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn.
25 But when the people were put forth, he went in, and took her by the hand, and the maid arose.

Your doubt is why you have not received
6/1/13 11:51 AM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had no doubt. I was waiting. You don't know me or the many circumstances. That is what led to my belief that it is largely generated through peer pressure and some type of hypnosis. Your view of being filled with the Holy spirit is wrong.

6/1/13 9:26 PM
Saint Stevo

Actually no. You had doubt. I can bear my own record is true. truthisalive is true and Dying Breed can do the same. Now you're in a dilemma.

Because two and three witnesses have stated the truth of the Holy Ghost

1Corinthians 13:1
This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

Deuteronomy 17:6
At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.
6/1/13 10:50 PM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All I did was raise my hands and starting praising him and the warmth started in my belly, rose up my body to my mouth and the language started.

There was no "repeat after me" or attempts to mock what I heard from others. In fact, if someone were to tell someone to repeat certain "words", then they aren't being right in their ministering.

All I did was go up for prayer after God had been dealing with me to do so for about 9 days. After I knew he wanted me to do this, I had no problem receiving...just accepted it as if someone were to hand me something Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 11:39 PM
Saint Stevo

There's your witness. All glory goes to Jesus.
6/2/13 9:34 AM
zealot66

Quite frankly El Stevo, you sound like you want to be a Dungeon and Dragons Grand Wizard. Bring 10 people, words on a page means nothing. You ARE new around here.

6/2/13 11:29 AM
gord96
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saint Stevo - Actually no. You had doubt. I can bear my own record is true. truthisalive is true and Dying Breed can do the same. Now you're in a dilemma.

Because two and three witnesses have stated the truth of the Holy Ghost

1Corinthians 13:1
This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

Deuteronomy 17:6
At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.

I don't see zealott's dilemma. Two or three people witnessing to something as truth is not that special. You do realize there is other religions out there that have millions if not billions of people stating things as truth that you would disagree with?
6/3/13 7:38 AM
Saint Stevo

zealot66 - 

Quite frankly El Stevo, you sound like you want to be a Dungeon and Dragons Grand Wizard. Bring 10 people, words on a page means nothing. You ARE new around here.

You said you're more of an agnostic. Meaning you're quite confused what you believe in but still feel sure enough to tell someone if they had spoke in tongues or not.
Jesus has a message for people like that.

Revelation 3
15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Plus you deny tongues and think you have a understanding on Jesus.

2Tim 3:5
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

Jesus said you'll receive power when the Holy Ghost is come upon you acts 1:8. The Holy Ghost fell in acts 2:1-4.

But yet, you deny this.
6/3/13 9:47 AM
JitsuGuy
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saint Stevo - 
zealot66 - 

You said you're more of an agnostic. Meaning you're quite confused what you believe in but still feel sure enough to tell someone if they had spoke in tongues or not.
Jesus has a message for people like that.

Revelation 3
15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

Plus you deny tongues and think you have a understanding on Jesus.

2Tim 3:5
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

Jesus said you'll receive power when the Holy Ghost is come upon you acts 1:8. The Holy Ghost fell in acts 2:1-4.

But yet, you deny this.

What power is received when the Holy Ghost is come upon you?
6/3/13 11:35 AM
workman43113
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi SaintStevo welcome and thanks for bringing up this topic you are definitely a man who seeks God. I just wanted to write a few things from the word of God and then I will leave as we as christians don't need to spend our time arguing over these issues as it is not fruitful for us, indeed these arguments show we lack maturity in spirit.

The best evidence we can find of the filling of the Holy Ghost is seeing the fruits of the spirit and a changed life.

(Galatians 5:22-23)
King James Version (KJV)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Galatians 5:13-17
King James Version (KJV)
13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

When we walk in the spirit, changes take place in the way we think, speak, act, and treat others. We will have God's love shining through us; His Joy filling our hearts. This is the best way to know that someone is truly filled with the Holy Spirit. As Jesus said,

"You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit" Matthew 7:16-18

The Bible also says that there are spiritual gifts given to the true followers of Christ, but Jesus said we will know them by their fruits (the way they live) not by their gifts. The Scriptures also teach that there are many types of spiritual gifts :

1 Corinthians 12:8-11
King James Version (KJV)
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

Today, there is a lot of emphasis on speaking in tongues. Some believe that everyone that is filled with the Holy Ghost will speak in tongues, but the Bible says:

1 Corinthians 12:29-30
King James Version (KJV)
29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

Paul is asking a series of rhetorical questions and the answer is obviously "no". All believers do not receive the same gifts. The most important thing to remember is that this is all just setting the stage for Chapter 13, where Paul makes it clear that the fruits are definitely more desirable and valuable than the gifts. If we don't have love to begin with, then the gifts are useless!

1 Corinthians 13
King James Version (KJV)
13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

The Bible gives us many examples where individuals were filled with the Holy Spirit (over 50), but only three occasions where anyone actually spoke in tongues. Here are only a few examples from the first few chapters of Luke:

Luke 1:41-55 - Elisabeth, the mother of John the Baptist, was "filled with the Holy Ghost" and the Bible records every word she spoke, but it doesn't mention speaking in tongues.

Luke 1:67-79 - Zacharias, the father of John the Baptist, was also "filled with the Holy Ghost", and he was given the gift of prophecy, but not speaking in tongues. Most importantly, consider what the Bible says about the fruits of this couple's life: "And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless." (Luke 1:6) Talk about fruits! Don't you wish the Lord could say that about us?

Luke 2:25-35 - Simeon was obviously filled with the Spirit: "the Holy Ghost was upon him", certain things were "revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost", and "he came by the Spirit into the temple". He certainly had the gift of prophecy, but he did not speak in tongues. However, he definitely possessed the fruits because he is described as "just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel".

Luke 3:22 and 4:1 - No one can deny the fact that Jesus was "full of the Holy Ghost", yet the Bible never mentions Him speaking in tongues. Intrestingly, He had the gifts of wisdom, prophecy, healing, working of miracles, discerning of spirits, teaching, etc. We all know that He had the perfect fruits of the Spirit and He is our example!
6/3/13 11:37 AM
workman43113
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back to Corinthians

1 Corinthians 14
King James Version (KJV)
14 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

7 And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?

8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?

9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.

11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.

12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?

17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.

18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:

25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.

31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?

37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.

39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

40 Let all things be done decently and in order.
6/3/13 11:42 AM
MoustacheRider69
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi, workman43113. :) Phone Post
6/3/13 11:42 AM
workman43113

Having said all this we should embrace our brothers even though they came here to argue the word and if any more is needed for a rebuke let's do it out of love remembering these men still follow God just as us although they are "children" in understanding the faith at this point in there walk.

1 Corinthians 14:20
King James Version (KJV)
20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
6/3/13 11:44 AM
workman43113

MoustacheRider69 -  Hi, workman43113. :) Phone Post

Hi MoustacheRider69
6/3/13 11:48 AM
MoustacheRider69
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

workman43113 -
MoustacheRider69 -  Hi, workman43113. :) Phone Post

Hi MoustacheRider69
Ugh. I forgot. I'm still this dumb sn.. :/ Phone Post
6/3/13 11:49 AM
workman43113

lol if you can't laugh at yourself what can ya do
6/3/13 11:51 AM
MoustacheRider69

workman43113 - lol if you can't laugh at yourself what can ya do
:) Phone Post
6/3/13 11:59 AM
gord96

workman43113 - Having said all this we should embrace our brothers even though they came here to argue the word and if any more is needed for a rebuke let's do it out of love remembering these men still follow God just as us although they are "children" in understanding the faith at this point in there walk.

1 Corinthians 14:20
King James Version (KJV)

Or many have already walked this path and got past it. Perhaps you are the 'children' in understanding truth? Your theology is very egocentric in that you must be right and everyone else is wrong. If someone disagrees with you, they are 'children' or 'deceived' or 'lacking faith'. This is not uncommon. Most faiths are egocentric.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.