UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Why BJJ will always be an amateur sport

5/18/13 10:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kneeblock
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isn't ibjjf a .Org? Phone Post
5/18/13 11:01 AM
Hywel Teague
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ Hacks, free Arte Suave videos, Direct from Rio
Kneeblock -  Isn't ibjjf a .Org? Phone Post

It's a for-profit organisation that promotes and hosts tournaments.

The IBJJF does not fund anyone or anything other than it's own operations. It provides no benefits for members, they do not fund training for competitors, or provide insurance for practitioners.

Compare this with judo associations - for example the IJF fund regional bodies like the European Judo Union et al. These then fund member nations, eg the British Judo Association, which fund athletes and team training ranging from cadets to high-performance Olympians. And then the BJA operates the British Judo Trust, which awards grants to clubs ranging from £500-£5000 upon application.

The IBJJF's model makes perfect sense because there is no external revenue coming to them from broadcast licensing fees unlike many other sports. And the advertising opportunities are limited to brands and companies within jiu-jitsu. Even badminton and snooker pull in TV deals, external advertisers, etc.
5/18/13 12:45 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EddieBravo - 15 minutes. No sub = double DQ. No time limits promote stalling.

The finals are 15 minutes with a special OT submission based round Phone Post 3.0

Sounds like half of the matches will end in a double DQ. That set-up sounds for local tournaments but with high level guys, submissions won't happen as frequently.

For example, Rafa Mendes and Cobrinha have faced each other how many times? A bunch. Rafa Mendes submitted Cobrinha one time and all other matches were won by points or advantages, if I'm not mistaken. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that. If those guys face each other in a submission only tournament, I'm willing to bet it goes the full 15 without a submission.
5/18/13 1:57 PM
shen
664 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

checkuroil - You have to do bjj to really enjoy watching it. Phone Post 3.0

Exactly.

When we consider the fact that Wresting, Judo etc are not big money "pro sports" people watch --when they are in fact FAR more watchable to the average person-- I just think it's a waste of energy to try and make BJJ into something it is never going to be.

I also think this 100% emphasis on turning BJJ into a pure "sport" is making it into something lesser than it really is.

People need to get out of their "BJJ Bubble" and realize how many OTHER sports there are out there with identical complaints...

"Why isn't Sport Sambo on Pay per View?"

"Netball is the best sport in the world, where the Hell are the big sponsors?!?!"

"If they just promoted Scottish Backhold Wrestling correctly, it would be HUGE!"
5/18/13 5:53 PM
dokomoy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone know how much Copa Podio and Metamoris pay there athletes?
5/18/13 6:04 PM
matthias
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheBulgarianAssassin -
EddieBravo - 15 minutes. No sub = double DQ. No time limits promote stalling.

The finals are 15 minutes with a special OT submission based round Phone Post 3.0

Sounds like half of the matches will end in a double DQ. That set-up sounds for local tournaments but with high level guys, submissions won't happen as frequently.

For example, Rafa Mendes and Cobrinha have faced each other how many times? A bunch. Rafa Mendes submitted Cobrinha one time and all other matches were won by points or advantages, if I'm not mistaken. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that. If those guys face each other in a submission only tournament, I'm willing to bet it goes the full 15 without a submission.
In a sub only format the games would change. The reason why they're ending with only advantages right now is bc you're win is the same as a sub win. If a guy knows it's sub or nothing both players games would open up IMO. But we won't really know until it happens Phone Post 3.0
5/18/13 7:03 PM
Kneeblock
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hywel Teague - 
Kneeblock -  Isn't ibjjf a .Org? Phone Post

It's a for-profit organisation that promotes and hosts tournaments.

The IBJJF does not fund anyone or anything other than it's own operations. It provides no benefits for members, they do not fund training for competitors, or provide insurance for practitioners.

Compare this with judo associations - for example the IJF fund regional bodies like the European Judo Union et al. These then fund member nations, eg the British Judo Association, which fund athletes and team training ranging from cadets to high-performance Olympians. And then the BJA operates the British Judo Trust, which awards grants to clubs ranging from £500-£5000 upon application.

The IBJJF's model makes perfect sense because there is no external revenue coming to them from broadcast licensing fees unlike many other sports. And the advertising opportunities are limited to brands and companies within jiu-jitsu. Even badminton and snooker pull in TV deals, external advertisers, etc.

Are you sure? Typically in order to register a .org you have to be a non-profit entity.

I only say that to say being a non-profit is not a silver bullet. What you're describing is a very specific type of non-profit organizational business model. 

IBJJF is basically a sanctioning body and little else.

5/19/13 5:22 PM
EazyG
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definitely would like to see a not for profit governing body. A group trying to promote the tood of the sport as opposed to making money for one guy. Talk about non aligned incentives...

But our sport just isnt that watchable to non participants. Judo and wrestling both have strong non stalling rules but are not popular with fans either. Sub only tournaments would not change that fact.

Let enjoy it for what it is...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.