UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones wants to break records before super fights

5/17/13 11:19 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1025 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

At only 25 years, Jon Jones is considered the best light heavyweight planet and has defended his UFC title five times. Many fans and media think the next step should be super fight with Anderson Silva or even a move up to the heavyweight division. However, according to his manager, Jones has some certain goals in his division before moving on:

“I’ll just tell you this, I wouldn’t be surprised if Jon fights two more times this year.  That’s very aggressive and I know that’s crazy, but it’s something that he discussed with me and we talked about it.  I told Superman to relax a little bit, you’re injured right now, but he’s got an aggressive timeline in his head. Certain goals and accomplishments that he wants and we’re looking to get that record.”

The record that Kawa is speaking about is the one currently held by Jones and former UFC light heavyweight champion Tito Ortiz for title defenses in the 205-pound division.  Both fighters defended the belt five times, but with one more win in the weight class, the record would belong solely to Jones.

It’s something the UFC’s reigning light heavyweight champion has talked about numerous times, and that goal is still his top priority.  While there may be a move to heavyweight one day or even the potential for superfights in the future, Jones wants to be defined as the best ever at 205 pounds before moving on to conquer the rest of the MMA world.

“The truth and the fact of the matter is before we can talk any superfight or any move in weight class or anything to that effect, Jon Jones wants to win his next fight at light heavyweight, he wants to break that record, he wants to own that record solely.  He wants to be considered the greatest light heavyweight of all time at this point,” Kawa stated.  “I already think he is the greatest light heavyweight of all time, record or no record.

read entire article...

5/17/13 11:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Another Foob
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Makes sense.
5/18/13 12:00 AM
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2 more times this year? Then he'll have to headline UFC on fs1.1.

With a fractured toe and 6 to 8 week recovery that's a tall order.

The question is who is he gonna fight? Machida is the most deserving but Gustaffson is the fresh challenger.
5/18/13 12:01 AM
DoomFarmer
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just hurry up and get it over with, please.
5/18/13 12:16 AM
Williambonney

Sounds more like jones wants to wait for father time to catch up to Anderson before stepping in the cage with him
5/18/13 12:17 AM
Williambonney

Also I don't think he will ever be considered the best 205'er ever since he is facing much weaker competition then Chuck and Wandy did in their primes
5/18/13 12:20 AM
UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So tired of this superfight talk.

I'll believe it when both guys are in the octagon and Buffer says "It's Time"

5/18/13 12:23 AM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye
377 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He wants to fight two times in seven months? What a warrior!

But seriously, one thing I like about Jones is the fact that he has always been a very prolific fighter. That's commendable no matter what weight class or level of competition, let alone the caliber of fighters Jones has faced in the last couple years. I don't like the guy too much but I certainly respect him.

5/18/13 12:25 AM
Phisher

Williambonney - Also I don't think he will ever be considered the best 205'er ever since he is facing much weaker competition then Chuck and Wandy did in their primes

Maybe Zuffa should import some Japanese cans and UFC washouts with sub-500 records for Jones to fight to see how he really stacks up to Chack and Wand.

5/18/13 12:28 AM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye
377 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Williambonney - Also I don't think he will ever be considered the best 205'er ever since he is facing much weaker competition then Chuck and Wandy did in their primes

VTFD troll.

Make a compelling argument for your stance and I will vote you up for the next three days to make up for it. I know you won't even try but the offer is there.

5/18/13 12:33 AM
MMALOGIC

yes... Jones has yet to face killers like Vernon White or some Japanes can.
5/18/13 12:35 AM
I LOVE GSP

GSPushedInMyStinkEye - 

But seriously, one thing I like about Jones is the fact that he has always been a very prolific fighter. That's commendable no matter what weight class or level of competition, let alone the caliber of fighters Jones has faced in the last couple years. I don't like the guy too much but I certainly respect him.

I agree with everything here.
5/18/13 12:41 AM
Ip Man 81

Phisher -

Maybe Zuffa should import some Japanese cans and UFC washouts with sub-500 records for Jones to fight to see how he really stacks up to Chack and Wand.

Maybe he should just fight Chuck! Phone Post 3.0
5/18/13 12:49 AM
Williambonney

MMALOGIC - 

Yeah give the worst possible examples for Chuck and Wandy and never mind that jones has only fought washed up over the hill versions of good fighters or that Chuck and Wandy fought guys like Prime Tito, Prime Rampage (not the over the hill shadow jones fought and at times ran from), Randy, Overeem, Prime Vitor, Randleman, Prime Henderson, Prime CroCop
5/18/13 12:57 AM
quality

I LOVE GSP - 
GSPushedInMyStinkEye - 

I looked at his stats and the other champions and they only fight twice a year (if there are no injuries). I saw Jones's first year of fighting pro he had 8 wins, with Stephan Bonnar as a notable win (on his 8th fight). He had a meteoric rise, but 2011 was his breakaway year with the title and two defenses. After that he was on UFC schedule with 2 title fights per year. Well 2012 was 2 defenses, so far in 2013 one defense and of course there will be one more at least this year as long as the toe heals properly and on time. He's following the schedule according to the plan (UFC's).
5/18/13 12:58 AM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye

Williambonney - 
MMALOGIC - 

Yeah give the worst possible examples for Chuck and Wandy and never mind that jones has only fought washed up over the hill versions of good fighters or that Chuck and Wandy fought guys like Prime Tito, Prime Rampage (not the over the hill shadow jones fought and at times ran from), Randy, Overeem, Prime Vitor, Randleman, Prime Henderson, Prime CroCop

Is Jones supposed to get into a time machine and go back to Japan 2004 and fight all these guys?

Stop living in the past dude. The Pride 205 lb. heyday is long gone and there's nothing you can do. 

Offer up an argument that pertains to current times and people just may take you seriously.

5/18/13 1:03 AM
quality

GSPushedInMyStinkEye - 
Williambonney - 
MMALOGIC - 

Is Jones supposed to get into a time machine and go back to Japan 2004 and fight all these guys?

Stop living in the past dude. The Pride 205 lb. heyday is long gone and there's nothing you can do. 

Offer up an argument that pertains to current times and people just may take you seriously.

I wasn't going to say that, but how good were they really is my only argument?
5/18/13 1:07 AM
UGSlapshot

I figure he doesn't want to leave LHW til he is the undisputed LHW goat.

If he fights Anderson, win or lose its probably a pitstop on his way to heavyweight.

I personally look at it like this,

He could possibly beat a few more LHWs pad his stats or whatever then fight Silva.

If he (for the sake of argument and because honestly I believe he would.) beat Silva then moved up to HW, I would assume he gets a immediate title shot right?

So Ill admit I don't like Cain as much as a lot of people do.

However I think if Jones put thirty pounds of muscle on, I just think his ability to stop a shot and use his reach is just as big of a problem for Cain.

I'm just saying, he very well could do all that shit... Phone Post
5/18/13 1:12 AM
GSPushedInMyStinkEye

quality - 
GSPushedInMyStinkEye - 
Williambonney - 
MMALOGIC - 

I wasn't going to say that, but how good were they really is my only argument?

How good was who?

No matter who you're talking about, their record can be deconstructed and cast in a negative light. Their opponents, as well as their opponents opponents, can and will be broken down until the original fighter looks like shit no matter who they've fought. 

It's the nature of the beast when it comes to combat sports.

5/18/13 1:17 AM
Jo'donnell-Davies
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Williambonney - Also I don't think he will ever be considered the best 205'er ever since he is facing much weaker competition then Chuck and Wandy did in their primes
Not necessarily true. There's great up and coming talent in the division but bones has literally destroyed the elders of the division and is on the verge of becoming the best lhw ever. He should do another 5 lhw fights and then would be time to jump up weights and start a new chapter Phone Post 3.0
5/18/13 1:57 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

My opinion is that he wants to prolong the Anderson fight...

I mean think about this logically:
If he fought Anderson at 205, it would BE a title defense and hands down his best win to date by far.

He doesn't want the risk of Anderson just yet. A little more time and aging for Anderson, and a win against a different 205er to cement that record before risking the Anderson fight.

Just my opinion. Phone Post
5/18/13 2:11 AM
UGCTT_nightkap
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - My opinion is that he wants to prolong the Anderson fight...

I mean think about this logically:
If he fought Anderson at 205, it would BE a title defense and hands down his best win to date by far.

He doesn't want the risk of Anderson just yet. A little more time and aging for Anderson, and a win against a different 205er to cement that record before risking the Anderson fight.

Just my opinion. Phone Post
Gotta agree...mostly about Andersons aging. Phone Post
5/18/13 2:20 AM
MMALOGIC

He's already the best LHW mma fighter ever.
5/18/13 8:24 AM
cecils_pupils

UGSlapshot -  I figure he doesn't want to leave LHW til he is the undisputed LHW goat.

If he fights Anderson, win or lose its probably a pitstop on his way to heavyweight.

I personally look at it like this,

He could possibly beat a few more LHWs pad his stats or whatever then fight Silva.

If he (for the sake of argument and because honestly I believe he would.) beat Silva then moved up to HW, I would assume he gets a immediate title shot right?

So Ill admit I don't like Cain as much as a lot of people do.

However I think if Jones put thirty pounds of muscle on, I just think his ability to stop a shot and use his reach is just as big of a problem for Cain.

I'm just saying, he very well could do all that shit... Phone Post

I agree with everything said in the above statement.
5/18/13 8:29 AM
jake11

I LOVE GSP - 
GSPushedInMyStinkEye - 

what a warrior??????

my god the fans expect so little now-a-days.

when this all started, fighters fought 3x in one night.
those were warriors.

besides that, All of Jones fights at 205 are seriously less taxing on him than some of his training sessions are leading up to the fight. To praise him for doing this 2x in 7 months is laughable.

give me a break.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.