UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> John Cholish blasts UFC fighter pay

5/30/13 12:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jesus Quintana
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

canuck34 - 
epwar -

Huge interview with Cholish by UG's own Crooklyn.  Well worth the read (which means most the UG won't read it).  

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/5/29/4374198/john-cholish-ufc-fighter-pay-dana-white

The best questions:

Stephie Daniels: After your interview with Ariel Helwani,Dana White has made some unfavorable comments directed at you. How do you feel about him sort of throwing you under the bus like that?

John Cholish: It's a little upsetting. I wasn't upset so much about the personal attack towards me. I felt it was more of an insult to all the fighters on the roster that he did not address a single one of my questions. I think they're important questions and they should be answered. Just from the support I've seen from MMA fans, it seems like they want some answers, too.

It's sad because any company I have ever worked for, or any professional sports organization in general, you would never hear a commissioner or a CEO speak about a former or current employee in the manner that Dana continuously speaks about his current and former fighters. Maybe that's just how the company is rub, but it seems unacceptable to me.

It would be nice if Zuffa answered those questions, not only for the fighters currently on their roster, but for other up and coming fighters that are just getting into the sport.

++++

Stephie Daniels: You mentioned that there are other fighters that share your opinions, but don't want to have their voices heard or be recognized for those opinions out of fear of repercussions. How many of those guys or what percentage would you estimate do share your opinions?

John Cholish: I would say 90% including some top tier fighters. It's interesting when you look at an event that takes place over the weekend, and the reported salaries for the entire roster on that card, 24 fighters or so, can be covered alone with the in-gate ticket sales at the venue. That's before you even get to the PPV, the licensing, the merchandising, the advertising and the contracted revenue with companies like FOX.

I don't know the exact numbers, but it's pretty obscene when you look at the revenue that the UFC is taking in, compared to the portion that they're giving back to the fighters. Last I checked, the fans are buying the PPV to see the guys inside the cage, not the owners sitting outside of it.

++++

Sadly, Dana can just ignore this issue and it will eventually disappear.

What a joke. He forgets to mention that the top fighters get points on PPV.

He also forgets to mention that Zuffa was still paying fighters when it was losing money hand over fist for several years. Phone Post

so including those points what % of revenue are fighters getting paid?

"He also forgets to mention that Zuffa was still paying fighters when it was losing money hand over fist for several years."
are you suggesting they did this out of the goodness of their hearts? You still have to pay your employees even if you aren't making money.
5/30/13 12:36 AM
epwar
605 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - "I don't know the exact numbers, but it's pretty obscene when you look at the revenue that the UFC is taking in, compared to the portion that they're giving back to the fighters. Last I checked, the fans are buying the PPV to see the guys inside the cage, not the owners sitting outside of it." John Cholish

You see this is where he becomes a retard. Besides his mother, who's paying to watch John Cholish? do you think zuffa sells 6k dollars worth of tickets and ppv buys because john cholish is on the card?

The reality is zuffa is losing money short term by paying a guy like cholish 6k because zuffa isnt selling anywhere close to 6k dollars worth of tickets or ppv buys because john cholish is on the card.

This why the country is going down. We have spawned a bunch of retards who think they are entitled to stuff... just because.

Cholish's last fight aired live on the prelims on Fuel.  That in itself brings ad revenue.

5/30/13 12:49 AM
Lynchman
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus Quintana - 
canuck34 - 
epwar -

Huge interview with Cholish by UG's own Crooklyn.  Well worth the read (which means most the UG won't read it).  

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/5/29/4374198/john-cholish-ufc-fighter-pay-dana-white

The best questions:

Stephie Daniels: After your interview with Ariel Helwani,Dana White has made some unfavorable comments directed at you. How do you feel about him sort of throwing you under the bus like that?

John Cholish: It's a little upsetting. I wasn't upset so much about the personal attack towards me. I felt it was more of an insult to all the fighters on the roster that he did not address a single one of my questions. I think they're important questions and they should be answered. Just from the support I've seen from MMA fans, it seems like they want some answers, too.

It's sad because any company I have ever worked for, or any professional sports organization in general, you would never hear a commissioner or a CEO speak about a former or current employee in the manner that Dana continuously speaks about his current and former fighters. Maybe that's just how the company is rub, but it seems unacceptable to me.

It would be nice if Zuffa answered those questions, not only for the fighters currently on their roster, but for other up and coming fighters that are just getting into the sport.

++++

Stephie Daniels: You mentioned that there are other fighters that share your opinions, but don't want to have their voices heard or be recognized for those opinions out of fear of repercussions. How many of those guys or what percentage would you estimate do share your opinions?

John Cholish: I would say 90% including some top tier fighters. It's interesting when you look at an event that takes place over the weekend, and the reported salaries for the entire roster on that card, 24 fighters or so, can be covered alone with the in-gate ticket sales at the venue. That's before you even get to the PPV, the licensing, the merchandising, the advertising and the contracted revenue with companies like FOX.

I don't know the exact numbers, but it's pretty obscene when you look at the revenue that the UFC is taking in, compared to the portion that they're giving back to the fighters. Last I checked, the fans are buying the PPV to see the guys inside the cage, not the owners sitting outside of it.

++++

He also forgets to mention that Zuffa was still paying fighters when it was losing money hand over fist for several years. Phone Post

"He also forgets to mention that Zuffa was still paying fighters when it was losing money hand over fist for several years."
are you suggesting they did this out of the goodness of their hearts? You still have to pay your employees even if you aren't making money.

I think that most UFC shows see fighters getting 20-35% of gate+PPV. We have gotten a glimpse with the details of the contracts of Couture and Overeem and the offer made to Eddie.

Bottom line is that main eventers and co-main eventers make far more than is listed.

And, based on numerous comments from current and former UFC fighters, guys that either win or lose exciting fights generally pick up extra pay.

Is it perfect? No. Should prelim guys make a bit more? Yes. Should guys that go 1-2 in the UFC make career wages? I don't think so.
5/30/13 1:02 AM
dubate
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar -
MMALOGIC - "I don't know the exact numbers, but it's pretty obscene when you look at the revenue that the UFC is taking in, compared to the portion that they're giving back to the fighters. Last I checked, the fans are buying the PPV to see the guys inside the cage, not the owners sitting outside of it." John Cholish

You see this is where he becomes a retard. Besides his mother, who's paying to watch John Cholish? do you think zuffa sells 6k dollars worth of tickets and ppv buys because john cholish is on the card?

The reality is zuffa is losing money short term by paying a guy like cholish 6k because zuffa isnt selling anywhere close to 6k dollars worth of tickets or ppv buys because john cholish is on the card.

This why the country is going down. We have spawned a bunch of retards who think they are entitled to stuff... just because.

Cholish's last fight aired live on the prelims on Fuel.  That in itself brings ad revenue.

Not when you are an interchangeable part. When I work on the factory line building Honda's, only in the broadest sense am I bringing revenue to the company.
To put it another way, if you swapped him out with a different fighter from the roster would anyone outside of his immediate circle have complained? Phone Post
5/30/13 8:10 AM
canuck34
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus Quintana -
canuck34 - 
epwar -

The best questions:

++++

++++

And they did pay them. And they are still paying them very well.

I am a huge MMA fan and I have no clue who this guy is. Why should the UFC be paying this guy more?

I have trained with quite a few pro boxers and kickboxers. They all had second jobs. Why should some no name fighter make a huge salary in MMA? Phone Post
5/30/13 12:48 PM
WestsideStrangler
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

canuck34 - 
Jesus Quintana -
canuck34 - 
epwar -

The best questions:

++++

++++

I am a huge MMA fan and I have no clue who this guy is. Why should the UFC be paying this guy more?

I have trained with quite a few pro boxers and kickboxers. They all had second jobs. Why should some no name fighter make a huge salary in MMA? Phone Post

Because he's in the UFC that's why.  If they don't think he's worth it he shouldn't be in the UFC.  Simple as that.  Make the UFC better.  Make it harder to be a UFC fighter.  Make it something you have to earn with more than 3, 4, or 5 fights.

5/30/13 1:16 PM
canuck34
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WestsideStrangler -
canuck34 - 
Jesus Quintana -
canuck34 - 
epwar -

The best questions:

++++

++++

Because he's in the UFC that's why.  If they don't think he's worth it he shouldn't be in the UFC.  Simple as that.  Make the UFC better.  Make it harder to be a UFC fighter.  Make it something you have to earn with more than 3, 4, or 5 fights.

What does that even mean?

The UFC needs lower level guys to fill out fight cards. Phone Post
5/30/13 1:19 PM
Tomato Can
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris has been saying he thinks you should already be elite before you fight in the UFC, but I don't really see that as practical when they're putting on like 350-400 fights per year.
5/30/13 1:27 PM
dubate
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WestsideStrangler -
canuck34 - 
Jesus Quintana -
canuck34 - 
epwar -

The best questions:

++++

++++

They didn't, and they were going to cut him but he retired before he was cut.
The last UFC they put on, the lowest guy was an 8/8 fighter. It's getting better all the time.
Cholish thinks he should be paid more at his job, well fortunately there's a support group for that. It's called "everybody" we meet at the fucking bar. Phone Post
5/30/13 1:40 PM
Jei
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The economic knowledge of the UG is hilarious. Phone Post
5/30/13 2:35 PM
Lux Fixxins

Lol @ the butt hurt occupy types on this thread! Phone Post 3.0
5/30/13 3:32 PM
Jesus Quintana

Jei -  The economic knowledge of the UG is hilarious. Phone Post

This thread isn't about economics it's about morals. You can operate a business and still do it in a moral manner and compensate your employees fairly. Tons of companies choose to do this. The UFC refuses to, so it is up to fighters to bargain collectively to get what they deserve.
5/30/13 3:44 PM
dubate

Jesus Quintana -

This thread isn't about economics it's about morals. You can operate a business and still do it in a moral manner and compensate your employees fairly. Tons of companies choose to do this. The UFC refuses to, so it is up to fighters to bargain collectively to get what they deserve.
How much should the 74th ranked lightweight with a 1-2 record in the UFC be paid per fight? Phone Post
5/30/13 4:00 PM
Jesus Quintana

dubate - 
Jesus Quintana -

How much should the 74th ranked lightweight with a 1-2 record in the UFC be paid per fight? Phone Post

That would be impossible for me to speculate on, but guys like Bigfoot should be getting more than 75k to headline a ppv where he is fighting for the heavyweight title.
5/30/13 4:07 PM
Thacommish
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dubate - 
epwar -

Not when you are an interchangeable part. When I work on the factory line building Honda's, only in the broadest sense am I bringing revenue to the company.
To put it another way, if you swapped him out with a different fighter from the roster would anyone outside of his immediate circle have complained? Phone Post

What exactly do the interchangeable parts at honda make per year? Also would you say the skill required to do that is less than what is required to make it to the ufc, even if you go 1-2?
5/30/13 4:39 PM
dubate

Thacommish -
dubate - 
epwar -

What exactly do the interchangeable parts at honda make per year? Also would you say the skill required to do that is less than what is required to make it to the ufc, even if you go 1-2?
As a worker you are the interchangeable part. Meaning that the job gets done regardless if it is you or someone else doing the work. Now you want them to be paid based on their skill? Does that mean a BJJ black belt should get paid more for his first fight then an average striker or a run of the mill D1 wrestler? Phone Post
5/30/13 4:51 PM
dubate

Jesus Quintana -
dubate - 
Jesus Quintana -

That would be impossible for me to speculate on, but guys like Bigfoot should be getting more than 75k to headline a ppv where he is fighting for the heavyweight title.
How much do you think Bigfoot should have been given in disclosed pay? Phone Post
5/30/13 5:15 PM
Thacommish
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dubate - 
Thacommish -
dubate - 
epwar -

As a worker you are the interchangeable part. Meaning that the job gets done regardless if it is you or someone else doing the work. Now you want them to be paid based on their skill? Does that mean a BJJ black belt should get paid more for his first fight then an average striker or a run of the mill D1 wrestler? Phone Post

How much do they make though? do you really think its as easy to find an assembly line worker as it is a professional fighter to compete in the ufc?
5/30/13 5:20 PM
Thacommish

also i never said pay them based off of skill, im asking you which requires more skill. Im asking you to justify comparing a professional ufc fighter to an assembly line worker in terms of how easily they can be replaced, and how well they are being compensated for it. Mostly i just find it disturbing the amount of people that come to these threads and drop words like "interchangeable part" or "hobby" in some attempt to belittle what it is these fighters actually do and go through.
5/30/13 5:24 PM
dubate

Thacommish -
dubate - 
Thacommish -
dubate - 
epwar -

How much do they make though? do you really think its as easy to find an assembly line worker as it is a professional fighter to compete in the ufc?
I think there are a lot of fighters out there that can go 1&2 in the UFC. Or more to the point not be able to beat people ranked in the top 30. The other organizations are littered with them.
A lot of people feel that once you make it into UFC you have "made it" and you are somehow better than other fighters just because of who signs your checks. I just don't feel that is the case anymore. They have a lot of people that aren't even ranked in the top 25. Cholish was no different then any other fighter in the WSOF or Bellator except that he had been given the opportunity to win and make a lot more money than those other guys. I guess what I'm saying is that I am waiting for a fighter who wins fights (he doesn't have to be a champion) and is legitimately unhappy with his money. Phone Post
5/30/13 5:26 PM
Thacommish

Instead you bring up an analogy of people who are more replaceable and are being compensated more generously than professional fighters. I find that sad, dont you? Why would you be against reform here? i mean the money isnt coming out of your pocket well i guess it kind of is, but what would be the downside of you being vocal for higher minimum pays in the ufc, having to hear dana bitch about it? Having less cars in danas garage? no custom harleys at the end of tuf? anything? Do you think the extra money would be enough to bankrupt ufc?
5/30/13 5:27 PM
Thacommish

dubate - 
Thacommish -
dubate - 
Thacommish -
dubate - 
epwar -

I think there are a lot of fighters out there that can go 1&2 in the UFC. Or more to the point not be able to beat people ranked in the top 30. The other organizations are littered with them.
A lot of people feel that once you make it into UFC you have "made it" and you are somehow better than other fighters just because of who signs your checks. I just don't feel that is the case anymore. They have a lot of people that aren't even ranked in the top 25. Cholish was no different then any other fighter in the WSOF or Bellator except that he had been given the opportunity to win and make a lot more money than those other guys. I guess what I'm saying is that I am waiting for a fighter who wins fights (he doesn't have to be a champion) and is legitimately unhappy with his money. Phone Post

I asked you three times now, how much do the assembly workers make? Do you think there are more replaceable fighters in other organizations? or more replaceable assembly workers at other factories? like say ford, or toyota etc. etc?
5/30/13 5:34 PM
HexRei

dubate - 
Thacommish -
dubate - 
Thacommish -
dubate - 
epwar -

I'd like to point out that of course they have fighters who aren't in the top 25. If they had a policy of not retaining any fighters not in the top 25 they could only have 25 fighters in each division at any one time, lol.
5/30/13 5:52 PM
dubate

Thacommish -
dubate - 
Thacommish -
dubate - 
Thacommish -
dubate - 
epwar -

I asked you three times now, how much do the assembly workers make? Do you think there are more replaceable fighters in other organizations? or more replaceable assembly workers at other factories? like say ford, or toyota etc. etc?
Avg is around 35k a year. Yes to the first question. Replaceable is replaceable. Once you've acknowledged there is a replacement pool it doesn't matter how deep it is compared to a different career that also has a replacement pool. Phone Post
5/30/13 5:57 PM
dubate

Thacommish - Instead you bring up an analogy of people who are more replaceable and are being compensated more generously than professional fighters. I find that sad, dont you? Why would you be against reform here? i mean the money isnt coming out of your pocket well i guess it kind of is, but what would be the downside of you being vocal for higher minimum pays in the ufc, having to hear dana bitch about it? Having less cars in danas garage? no custom harleys at the end of tuf? anything? Do you think the extra money would be enough to bankrupt ufc?
I can make the same argument for you. The extra money they make doesn't help you either. Why do they deserve to get paid more than say a teacher just because they get punched in the face? The answer is because they're entertaining. The fighters like Cholish & Volkmann aren't entertaining so why do they automatically deserve more than 30k per year with the opportunity to make a whole bunch more if they're successful? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.