UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> John Cholish blasts UFC fighter pay

5/31/13 11:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dubate
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Macedawgg -
CindyO - 
Macedawgg - 
dubate - 
Macedawgg -

Financials that the sports teams release for various purposes. . .many claim losing money. 

Baseball recently had an "audit" of sorts--the one that claimed 2/3rd's lost money. . .

Yeah deadspin.com showed that those financials were bullshit. Then they went and published the actual ones that showed how profitable even the last place teams really were. Phone Post

Yup.

So you're referring to financials that you know are bullshit as your example???

Cindy

I'm referring to the financials the owners themselves present as official. 

Aside from that--do you think the Dodgers owners make more than $300 million in cash per year?  I don't.

Do you think they make more than $30 million cash?  Maybe. . . and that would put them on par with the top paid individual players--let alone the entire team.

The Dodger owners are making 280 million dollars a year just of their TV deal with Time Warner (7b for 25yrs). They are making well over $300 million a year. Phone Post
5/31/13 2:14 PM
Macedawgg
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^

Wow!

The Dodgers owners have a payroll of approximately $300 million!

They also have a list of other expenses.  No, they are making nowhere near $300 million.

To Cindy-O--where did I say those teams were "losing" millions?  Not sure what your point is, other than you clearly didn't understand what I posted. 

As to the source--watch the video interview--not the online article. . .

5/31/13 2:24 PM
Macedawgg
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck0Lb8pDmVg

Right around minute 19:10 of this video. 

And my bad--wasn't 1.67 times, was 1.6 times per year. 

Source--Lorenzo Fertitta, ESPN Outside the Lines.

5/31/13 2:36 PM
dubate
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Macedawgg -

^^^

Wow!

The Dodgers owners have a payroll of approximately $300 million!

They also have a list of other expenses.  No, they are making nowhere near $300 million.

To Cindy-O--where did I say those teams were "losing" millions?  Not sure what your point is, other than you clearly didn't understand what I posted. 

As to the source--watch the video interview--not the online article. . .

The Dodgers have an approx revenue of 420 million a year. Tickets, TV, merchandise, concessions included. Dodgers 2013 payroll is 239 million. So even when you factor in operating expenses they are making a profit well into the 9 figures. Phone Post
5/31/13 2:42 PM
Macedawgg

Edited: 05/31/13 2:45 PM

No, they are not. 

You factoring in taxes?

The Dodgers also pay Front office personnel, scouts, coaches, travel costs, split concessions, etc. etc. etc. 

They are not making well into 9 figures a year--sorry.

5/31/13 7:45 PM
Jesus Quintana
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO - 
Macedawgg - 
CindyO - 
Macedawgg - 
dubate - 
Macedawgg -

Financials that the sports teams release for various purposes. . .many claim losing money. 

Baseball recently had an "audit" of sorts--the one that claimed 2/3rd's lost money. . .

Yeah deadspin.com showed that those financials were bullshit. Then they went and published the actual ones that showed how profitable even the last place teams really were. Phone Post

Yup.

So you're referring to financials that you know are bullshit as your example???

Cindy

I'm referring to the financials the owners themselves present as official. 

Aside from that--do you think the Dodgers owners make more than $300 million in cash per year?  I don't.

Do you think they make more than $30 million cash?  Maybe. . . and that would put them on par with the top paid individual players--let alone the entire team.

So you're point wasn't that if those teams can pay mmmmillions and they're losing money then how come the UFC doesn't pay their fighters mmmmmore since they seems to me mmmaking mmmmoney? If not then I misunderstood and please accept my apologies... and what exactly was your point then?

Cindy

someone earlier in the thread said that owners always get paid more than athletes and macedawg responded that that wasn't true. If you're going to post replies to people please read first and try not to respond like a little child wandering into a movie theater.

Cindy
6/1/13 7:06 AM
armbarring
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Getting schilly in here. I need a blanket. Phone Post
6/1/13 7:24 AM
hendofanforlife
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So the least anyone made last UFC ppv was 8k. 15 fighters made 24k or more just on the declared payout! Of course I want to see this continue but the pay is increasing substantially due to economics in action. Wsof and bellator are paying enough to raise the UFC minimums.
6/1/13 11:53 AM
Rickmassmma
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My ex used to complain constantly about what teachers were paid. Both her parents were teachers, and she was starting a teaching career also. She would complain about how much school costs and the degree you need in order to teach, and how it was BS they were paid so little. Every time it came up, my response was the same...if you're parents were teachers, you obviously have some idea what teachers were paid. If you weren't satisfied with that, and didn't think it was worth it to spend a long time in college to earn the degree needed to teach WHY THE FUCK DID YOU DECIDE TO BE A TEACHER?

Same applies here, kids. All this talk about training being expensive...yeah, it is. Getting punched in the face sucks, I agree. MMA fighters have short careers, true..most do. SO PURSUE A DIFFERENT FUCKING CAREER IF YOU'RE UNHAPPY WITH THE PAY OFF.

The fact that these guys get punched in the face for a living was their choice. They weren't forced into it. Many truly love being MMA fighters, the same way many teachers love being teachers.

What the UFC makes is completely irrelevant. If you want to make what the owners of the company make, start your own fucking company and build it up over the course of many, many years. Guys like Cholish weren't putting in 60 hour weeks training to be a fighter when the Dana and the fertita's were building the UFC.
6/1/13 11:58 AM
Rickmassmma
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you think the CEO of the financial company Cholish works for gets paid what Cholish does? The comment about how fans are there to see the fighters, not the owners sitting outside the cage...very true, but I would expect an educated fucking man with some financial knowledge to have more sense than that. Without the long hours and years of dedication to growing the company, there would be no event at all. The fact that he was fortunate enough to collect a pay check for doing something he enjoyed was directly related to the long days Dana and co were putting in years before Cholish even flirted with the idea of fighting professionally.
6/1/13 12:32 PM
epwar
647 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rickmassmma - Do you think the CEO of the financial company Cholish works for gets paid what Cholish does? The comment about how fans are there to see the fighters, not the owners sitting outside the cage...very true, but I would expect an educated fucking man with some financial knowledge to have more sense than that. Without the long hours and years of dedication to growing the company, there would be no event at all. The fact that he was fortunate enough to collect a pay check for doing something he enjoyed was directly related to the long days Dana and co were putting in years before Cholish even flirted with the idea of fighting professionally.

Woah, really?  

No one is arguing Cholish should be paid what Dana White or the Fertittas get paid.  The argument is simple - some fighters in this billion dollar company aren't even being paid a wage that they can live on.

6/1/13 7:09 PM
Jesus Quintana

Rickmassmma - My ex used to complain constantly about what teachers were paid. Both her parents were teachers, and she was starting a teaching career also. She would complain about how much school costs and the degree you need in order to teach, and how it was BS they were paid so little. Every time it came up, my response was the same...if you're parents were teachers, you obviously have some idea what teachers were paid. If you weren't satisfied with that, and didn't think it was worth it to spend a long time in college to earn the degree needed to teach WHY THE FUCK DID YOU DECIDE TO BE A TEACHER?

Same applies here, kids. All this talk about training being expensive...yeah, it is. Getting punched in the face sucks, I agree. MMA fighters have short careers, true..most do. SO PURSUE A DIFFERENT FUCKING CAREER IF YOU'RE UNHAPPY WITH THE PAY OFF.

The fact that these guys get punched in the face for a living was their choice. They weren't forced into it. Many truly love being MMA fighters, the same way many teachers love being teachers.

What the UFC makes is completely irrelevant. If you want to make what the owners of the company make, start your own fucking company and build it up over the course of many, many years. Guys like Cholish weren't putting in 60 hour weeks training to be a fighter when the Dana and the fertita's were building the UFC.

The difference is teachers can always leave and teach for another school if they aren't happy with what they are paid. The most valuable UFC fighters are locked into contracts that don't allow them to get the market value of their services. You are also leaving out the fact that teachers salaries are often set via collective bargaining and would be even lower if they were not. If fighters bargain collectively they can improve their pay just like teachers have.

Saying John Cholish should start his own company would be a valid point if you ignore the fact that the fertittas were only able to grow the UFC because they inherited billions of dollars from their Dad and at one point the UFC was further in the hole than any of the other MMA organizations that went out of business ever were. John Cholish doesn't have 100+ million dollars of family wealth to build a competitor to the UFC.
6/1/13 10:44 PM
Macedawgg

epwar - 
Rickmassmma - Do you think the CEO of the financial company Cholish works for gets paid what Cholish does? The comment about how fans are there to see the fighters, not the owners sitting outside the cage...very true, but I would expect an educated fucking man with some financial knowledge to have more sense than that. Without the long hours and years of dedication to growing the company, there would be no event at all. The fact that he was fortunate enough to collect a pay check for doing something he enjoyed was directly related to the long days Dana and co were putting in years before Cholish even flirted with the idea of fighting professionally.

Woah, really?  

No one is arguing Cholish should be paid what Dana White or the Fertittas get paid.  The argument is simple - some fighters in this billion dollar company aren't even being paid a wage that they can live on.

Bob Arum doesn't make what Manny Pacquiao makes.

Showtime doesn't make what PBF makes. 

Nor is it even close on a per event basis. 

Why should MMA be any different.  Both are prize fighting, both are individual sports, both have promoters and talent. . . yet, MMA pays drastically inferior amounts to talent. 

I'm curious why RickMassMMA is so excitedly anti-talent and accepting of what is paid in MMA. 

6/1/13 11:34 PM
canuck34
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar -

Woah, really?  

Why should guys who fight once or twice be able to live on their wages. This becomes a full time job when you earn it. Getting a shot in the UFC is an opportunity, not a guaranty.

It is like getting a job as an analyst at a bank. Just because you work for Goldman Sacks does not mean you get rich, you are given the chance to be rich if you perform. Phone Post
6/1/13 11:46 PM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Macedawgg - 
epwar - 

Woah, really?  

Why should MMA be any different.  Both are prize fighting, both are individual sports, both have promoters and talent. . . yet, MMA pays drastically inferior amounts to talent. 

I'm curious why RickMassMMA is so excitedly anti-talent and accepting of what is paid in MMA. 

Arum does not Handle all production and promotion. Nor does Arum foot the entire bill for all events. The UFC pays for everything.

Big boxing has much larger sponsors that pay fees the UFC can only dream of. If a day comes when all UFC gates are 5 mil and higher, they charge more for PPVs, have companies foot the bill for PR and production and have sponsors paying more money, guys will make far more.

The UFC, unlike anyone in boxing, employs over 200 people (not including fighters) and spends millions simply trying to build markets for the future. It is in their best interest, but much of what they make is put right back into the company.
6/1/13 11:55 PM
Macedawgg

Lynchman - 
Macedawgg - 
epwar - 

Woah, really?  

Arum does not Handle all production and promotion. Nor does Arum foot the entire bill for all events. The UFC pays for everything.

Big boxing has much larger sponsors that pay fees the UFC can only dream of. If a day comes when all UFC gates are 5 mil and higher, they charge more for PPVs, have companies foot the bill for PR and production and have sponsors paying more money, guys will make far more.

The UFC, unlike anyone in boxing, employs over 200 people (not including fighters) and spends millions simply trying to build markets for the future. It is in their best interest, but much of what they make is put right back into the company.

Advertising for a major event runs $2 million tops.

Production costs $100k to $200k per event.

That still leaves an ENORMOUS gap between revenue and pay between the 2 sports, and that is just talking about Gate and PPV numbers.  The UFC enjoys FAR greater ancillary revenue--that boxing can only dream of.

This argument just does not stand up to scrutiny--though it is put forward frequently.

6/1/13 11:58 PM
Rickmassmma

Macedawgg - 
epwar - 

Woah, really?  

Not anti-talent at all, just hate the sense of entitlement. I hate when people in any job complain about what they make. Everyone is free to pursue the career of their choice. If you're unhappy, do something other than complain. I respect Cholish for leaving mma to pursue a career he's more satisfied with, but I think his comments about what people deserve to be paid came across as very entitled.
6/2/13 12:10 AM
dubate

Macedawgg -
Lynchman - 
Macedawgg - 
epwar - 

Woah, really?  

That still leaves an ENORMOUS gap between revenue and pay between the 2 sports, and that is just talking about Gate and PPV numbers.  The UFC enjoys FAR greater ancillary revenue--that boxing can only dream of.

This argument just does not stand up to scrutiny--though it is put forward frequently.

If Joe Rogan makes almost 100k by himself how does production cost only 100 to 200k per event? Goldie cost money, producers, camera men, lighting techs, sound techs and a whole assortment of people who set up and tear down the event. As the promoter they have to rent the location and a whole litany of other expenses. Where is that number 100-200k coming from? Phone Post
6/2/13 3:09 AM
CindyO

Macedawgg - 
Lynchman - 
Macedawgg - 
epwar - 

Woah, really?  

Source?

Cindy

6/2/13 3:13 AM
Lynchman
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Macedawgg - 
Lynchman - 
Macedawgg - 
epwar - 

Woah, really?  

So it costs 100 to 200k to transport the entire crew and equiptment and pay everyone (including Rogan, Buffer and Goldberg) and house several dozen?

Please cite your sources.

And what about the month pay of 200+ employees?
6/2/13 3:16 AM
CindyO

Lynchman - 
Macedawgg - 
epwar - 

Woah, really?  

They employ more than 200 people.

"Fertitta likened that comparison to apples and oranges: "What you have to understand is that our model is different. We are everything. … We're the promoter. We're the television producer. We're responsible for all the costs that go into the production, and you're talking millions and millions of dollars.

"We employ well over 500 people just to make this machine run."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/page/UFCpay/ufc-fighters-say-low-pay-most-painful-hit-all

Cindy

6/2/13 3:16 AM
dubate

dubate -
Macedawgg -
Lynchman - 
Macedawgg - 
epwar - 

Woah, really?  

If Joe Rogan makes almost 100k by himself how does production cost only 100 to 200k per event? Goldie cost money, producers, camera men, lighting techs, sound techs and a whole assortment of people who set up and tear down the event. As the promoter they have to rent the location and a whole litany of other expenses. Where is that number 100-200k coming from? Phone Post
I forgot Buffer, he supposedly pulls down around 75-100k per show. Phone Post
6/2/13 3:22 AM
Lynchman

You forgot far more than Buffer. For each event, the UFC pays dozens of on site employees, houses them and pays for the transportation of them and all equipment.
6/2/13 3:25 AM
dubate

Lynchman - You forgot far more than Buffer. For each event, the UFC pays dozens of on site employees, houses them and pays for the transportation of them and all equipment.
I'm just thinking that paying, transporting, and housing Rogan, Goldie, & Buffer for the weekend is somewhere north of $325k. Phone Post
6/2/13 4:12 AM
Macedawgg

Source? 

Speak to people who have promoted top tier events--those are the sources.  I have. 

As to "housing" 100's of people--false.  The site usually trades the "housing" for a % of gate, or buy the "gate" in advance and include food and rooms.

Equipment?  Almost always rented--locally or nearby. 

Satellite and cable feeds?  Always rented. 

You think Bruce Buffer gets paid more than Michael?  LOL.  I don't.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.