UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Kevin Howell talks Academy, Galvao + MORE (Part 2)

5/20/13 1:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Open Mat Radio
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On this weeks episode we have part two of our two-part series with Kevin Howell! In this interview we talk about his academy and what it's like running it, the many ways Andre Galvao has influenced him, the Matt Barvo controversy, Kevin's split with Leandro Vieira, a debate on Star Wars and jiu-jitsu and much more!

http://www.openmatradio.com/2013/05/19/episode-69-kevin-howell-part-2/

5/21/13 7:40 AM
dojo stormer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah, kevin sort of skipped around the main issue of barvo. he never really answered any queation.

why didn't he just say that barvo was belt chasing, never really put in the hard work required. wasn't legit at whatever belt level he should of been.

instead kevin sort of meandered around talking about other subjects that eventually related loosely to barvo not following the purpose of jiu jitsu and the friends you make on the journey.

kevin didn't really give his own thoughts on what he thought of matt barvo.
5/21/13 11:44 AM
JZilla
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In terms of products going to ahead (the death of print publications)

I've got a pdf (on the history of the hip hop dj).
It's got text, pics and videos which play inside the pdf (it's about 1.5gb with 14 vids about 2-5 min each)

Why doesn't Kevin do an ebook like this?

They could write the text. Have the multi angle photos with notes etc and then also have a short running videos of the move in action

Would be very very cool Phone Post
5/21/13 12:21 PM
kcher
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dojo Stormer - Good points! Sorry I wasn't clear. As to Barvo, I really think that most would pick up my true thought on this - don't get so obsessed with belts that you forget that the journey is where everything happens. You can't buy that journey and you can't shop an experience that takes years to have. I thought it was obvious that I was not a fan of his belt shopping when I mentioned how we were advising VB to drop Barvo. Really, I wish I had more to say, but that is really all I have left in the tank.

Thanks!
Kevin
5/21/13 12:23 PM
kcher
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JZilla -  In terms of products going to ahead (the death of print publications)

It's got text, pics and videos which play inside the pdf (it's about 1.5gb with 14 vids about 2-5 min each)

They could write the text. Have the multi angle photos with notes etc and then also have a short running videos of the move in action

That would be awesome! We are toying with a bunch of similar ideas on the next Galvao project.

How do you distribute this JZilla?
5/21/13 12:23 PM
kcher

Open Mat Radio - 

On this weeks episode we have part two of our two-part series with Kevin Howell! In this interview we talk about his academy and what it's like running it, the many ways Andre Galvao has influenced him, the Matt Barvo controversy, Kevin's split with Leandro Vieira, a debate on Star Wars and jiu-jitsu and much more!

http://www.openmatradio.com/2013/05/19/episode-69-kevin-howell-part-2/

Thanks for having me guys! I'm really appreciative of the opportunity! That was tons of fun.
5/21/13 12:31 PM
JZilla
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kevin
I bought it from an online shop. It was packaged as just a single pdf file on a branded Usb stick
I don't know if you can encrypt the pdf or something to make it less vulnerable to copying??

The videos are a bit annoying in that playing a vid means it navigates to a player screen. When the video finishes you're back to page 1 in the text doc. Presumably there's a way around this though (sorry I'm not techy enough for this)

Cheers
Jas Phone Post
5/22/13 9:01 AM
dojo stormer

thanks kevin for answering. i sort of understand where you are coming from in regards to the whole fiasco. the whole sage would of become tiring.

what was he like in real life? was he really certifiably crazy in terms of what he thought he could achieve? the guy came across as a complete tool.

i followed the whole barvo thing and it blew my mind as to how these people exist.
5/22/13 11:04 AM
GB Dave Jr
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been reading a lot of books on Kindle. iPhone apps are fun. Not sure how difficult it is to protect those things..... Phone Post 3.0
5/22/13 11:25 AM
Open Mat Radio
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A huge thank-you to Kevin for being on the show. I felt we covered the Barvo situation for what it was. We always try to give people opportunities to address these issues without trying to sensationalize them. We'll never get people to talk trash just for the sake of drama. Kevin was very humble admiting some mistakes of his own when starting up business. He's a class act for sure.

As far as new media. How cool would an app be that looks like a book but you can click the image for an animated gif of that position. SO you'd get the breakdown of the move in written form but also get to see it in action. Seems like the best of both video and print! Soon enough SYR or some gi company will be sewing in iPad pockets into kimonos!

5/22/13 2:25 PM
BJJER

kcher - 
JZilla -  In terms of products going to ahead (the death of print publications)

That would be awesome! We are toying with a bunch of similar ideas on the next Galvao project.

How do you distribute this JZilla?

Kindle and Ipads. Through amazon and I-tunes.

Maybe an app, I haven't seen many torrents from video apps.
5/23/13 10:29 AM
MurdochIRL
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are the best Jiu Jitsu apps? I had a good one on rules from Felipe Costa. Phone Post 3.0
5/29/13 2:01 AM
On the Mat
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Owner, On the Mat
post part one! kevin is the man. taught me everything i know ;)

gonna go listen now. thx
5/29/13 3:30 AM
kcher

On the Mat - post part one! kevin is the man. taught me everything i know ;)

gonna go listen now. thx

LOL Scotty! Only if you are referring to when you repeatedly collar dragged swept me from sitting guard in your old warehouse in Huntington Park. I got $20 bucks that you still hit that one, bad back and all! In all seriousness, super thankful to you and Gumby for all the help over the years!
5/29/13 12:32 PM
GB Dave Jr
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
5/29/13 12:57 PM
Open Mat Radio

On the Mat - post part one! kevin is the man. taught me everything i know ;)

gonna go listen now. thx

There you go sir! Enjoy!

http://www.openmatradio.com/2013/05/12/episode-68-kevin-howell-part-1/

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.