UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Seriously considering becoming a Priest

5/20/13 2:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GrandInquisitor
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been a atheist/agnostic most of my life, and even I've not been a believer, I've always been involved with religious matters (previously working on a Ph.D in Religious Studies) and I'd always felt a calling to vocations, even though I never really understood my calling.

I've been praying and seriously considering becoming a religious over the past month, and I was just curious if anyone here had any thoughts or experiences on the matter.

One of the things I am most concerned about is my family - I want to make sure I don't leave my mom in a position where I can't help her when she needs it.
5/21/13 1:34 PM
RoidsGracie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You could become a Unitarian minister. If you are a atheist and want to be clergy that's the only denomination that would be a good fit for you.
5/22/13 1:27 AM
GrandInquisitor
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmmm...I was pretty tired the other night when I wrote this originally and I should probably expand on some things. (being terribly tired and wanting to make a long detailed post is not the best position to be in)

Ok, the first thing I should mention is that while I have been an atheist or agnostic most of my life, I no longer am - I unequivocally am a Christian and a Catholic and more than anything I look back at the years behind me as wasted space that I failed to utilize for God.

Also, what does it say about Unitarianism in 2013 that a person who is not just a non-Christian, but a total non-theist could become ordained?
5/22/13 11:09 AM
bigsakimoto
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's your goal?
5/22/13 11:40 AM
Saint Stevo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GrandInquisitor - Hmmm...I was pretty tired the other night when I wrote this originally and I should probably expand on some things. (being terribly tired and wanting to make a long detailed post is not the best position to be in)

Ok, the first thing I should mention is that while I have been an atheist or agnostic most of my life, I no longer am - I unequivocally am a Christian and a Catholic and more than anything I look back at the years behind me as wasted space that I failed to utilize for God.

Also, what does it say about Unitarianism in 2013 that a person who is not just a non-Christian, but a total non-theist could become ordained?

The more important thing is to make sure you have the Holy Ghost before considering to be a minister.

Acts 6:3
Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.

Have you received the Holy Ghost since you've believed?
5/22/13 12:09 PM
RoidsGracie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GrandInquisitor - Hmmm...I was pretty tired the other night when I wrote this originally and I should probably expand on some things. (being terribly tired and wanting to make a long detailed post is not the best position to be in)

My bad. I misread your original post and thought that you were an atheist that wanted to become a clergy person of some sort for whatever reason.
5/24/13 8:23 AM
gord96
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting idea! Are you a Catholic now? If not the first step would be to join the Church through RCIA. If you already are a Catholic then talk to your priest and get his thoughts. A Catholic priest is quite a commitment with the celibate lifestyle and all. Eastern Orthodox priests can be married but it must be before their ordination. Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 11:30 AM
Saint Stevo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's a Catholic?
5/24/13 11:34 AM
gord96
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A Catholic with a big C usually refers to a Roman Catholic. It is also used by the Eastern Orthodox Church when they describe their church. The use of catholic with small c usually means the universal 'invisible' church.
5/24/13 11:40 AM
Saint Stevo

What's the universal invisible church? I'm not trolling you I want to understand this. I've never heard of the small c with universal I. church
5/24/13 11:49 AM
gord96

who knows. whatever people who say the apostles creed mean who aren't Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox.
5/24/13 12:09 PM
Saint Stevo

Oh ok.
5/24/13 1:21 PM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good for you Grandinquisitor we need more God fearing people in the world. Phone Post 3.0
5/24/13 1:43 PM
Kung Fu Joe
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saint Stevo - What's the universal invisible church? I'm not trolling you I want to understand this. I've never heard of the small c with universal I. church
The catholic church (little c's) is generally meant as the whole population of Christian believers.

For example, when someone says "The church is the bride of Christ," they aren't talking about St. Bart's Cathedral or the First United Pentecostal building down the road. They are talking about the catholic church, the whole congregation of believers across the world.

The word "catholic" has fallen out of use in modern times since it has semmingly become synonymous with the Roman rite. Phone Post
5/26/13 10:43 AM
scaredy cat
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saint Stevo - What's the universal invisible church? I'm not trolling you I want to understand this. I've never heard of the small c with universal I. church

There are a number of Churches outside of the Roman Catholic Church which claim to hold "apostolic succession", which is an unbroken line of sacramental ordinations that lead back to the apostle Peter. Those churches include the various Orthodox denominations and some protestant denominations, amongst many others. All denominations holding this apostolic succession can be considered part of the "One holy, catholic church" by those who recognise it as such.
5/27/13 10:06 AM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think you should spend alot more time in your new found religiosity before making such a decision. Talk to your priest. Also, many priests become teachers rather than parish priests. your academic background could lead you into a vocation of teaching worldwide funded by the catholic church. I could never be celibate. 

I also find that even the lust between a husband and wife contrary to holiness. Call me crazy.

6/4/13 11:17 AM
Saint Stevo

Kung Fu Joe - 
Saint Stevo - What's the universal invisible church? I'm not trolling you I want to understand this. I've never heard of the small c with universal I. church
The catholic church (little c's) is generally meant as the whole population of Christian believers.

For example, when someone says "The church is the bride of Christ," they aren't talking about St. Bart's Cathedral or the First United Pentecostal building down the road. They are talking about the catholic church, the whole congregation of believers across the world.

The word "catholic" has fallen out of use in modern times since it has semmingly become synonymous with the Roman rite. Phone Post

Thx for the explanation.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.