UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> hard style kettlebell swing?

5/20/13 5:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
banco
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reading Dan John and Pavel's Easy Strength and they mention that hard style kettlebell swings are good for explosive power. How are hard style kettlebell swings distinguished from normal kettlebell swings (or is just Pavel's Russian heman marketing bullsshit)?
5/20/13 10:38 AM
Taku
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One does not need to ever use KB's to develop explosive power. This is marketing and personal preference talking.

TAKU

5/20/13 1:57 PM
beev

The reference to the Hardstyle swing is the technique used by pavel and the RKC (and his new cert). It involves explosive tension of the Hip by firing the glutes, tensing of the abs and the quads.

As opposed to the Girevik style swing, that emphasizes minimal energy expenditure, if that makes sense.

Yours,
Beev
5/20/13 2:52 PM
Adam Singer
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I get so confused when to breath that sometimes I just hold my breath until I pass out. Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 4:44 PM
Taku
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Adam,

Be careful brother? I wouldn't want anything to happen to you. Don't swing yourself to death.

TAKU

5/20/13 7:41 PM
Taku

Hey Adam,

Just checking...Do you remember the first time we met at the SBG camp? The Gatoraid bottle...Everyone in the van, (Forrest, Rory etc) lost, and trying to figure out where the hell we were going?

Good times...

TAKU

P.S. Have not seen Forrest in a few years (last time we bumped into each other at a UFC in L.A.)

5/20/13 8:05 PM
bull neck
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Louie Simmons has been quoted by pavel a few times on swings/ ballistics for explosive power. Andy Bolton was taught how to use them by an RKC friend of mine. Donnie Thompson...Bret Contreras...

Swings aren't necessary and there are other ways to build explosive power. But they are good when you've got guys who are a bit banged up and you want them to sprint or jump but they can't because of it. Chances are they can swing.

The swing is good for the spine according to McGill.

Gray Cook loves them.

I wrote a thing two weeks ago about Russian vs American swings that got a ton of comments on Breaking Muscle. There's also a bunch more on my author page (www.breakingmuscle.com/andrew-read). Should be enough info there for you to swing well.
5/20/13 9:08 PM
banco

Thanks guys. If you were doing them for explosive power what rep/set formula would you recommend and what's a good starting weight?
5/20/13 9:55 PM
Shanle929

I don't know about that whole terminology with that, but all for KBS, I know I was much more explosive when doing them more on a regular basis than not. Start with 16kg(35lbs) Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 4:27 PM
Zero1
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kettlebell Swings are awsome......

Start with 16 Kilos and go for sets of ten.

If this goes easy change to a heavier bell.......

Don´t go over 10 reps per set if you want to develope explosive power.....
5/23/13 3:28 PM
Adam Singer
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Liam, I will never forget that weekend. GOOD times. We lost the van as well.

Adam
5/27/13 4:40 PM
FJJ828

beev - The reference to the Hardstyle swing is the technique used by pavel and the RKC (and his new cert). It involves explosive tension of the Hip by firing the glutes, tensing of the abs and the quads.

As opposed to the Girevik style swing, that emphasizes minimal energy expenditure, if that makes sense.

Yours,
Beev

I remember in the HKC course, them talking about driving the KB down between the legs as opposed to just letting it flow with gravity and then exploding again on the upswing. This was explained as what they meant by "Hardstyle".

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.