UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Manager: Diaz not remorseful for use of gay slur

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
5/20/13 9:30 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1059 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Last week Nate Diaz tweeted a message to Brian Caraway using the term 'fag' to refer to his fellow UFC fighter. The UFC took action and suspended Diaz for 90 days and fined him $20,000.00. His manager later explained the manner in which Diaz meant the word, and today on the MMA Hour again defended his client:

"Nate doesn't feel remorse for what he said," Kogan told host Ariel Helwani."I don't feel remorse for what he said. I don't feel remorse for defending what he said or elaborating on what he said. Because it was not a homophobic statement. It was not intended to offend homosexuals. We weren't even talking about homosexuals. One can debate the multiple uses of this term. We can sit here and debate in the English language, there's a lot of words that mean a lot of different things, but whatever. As it is, it wasn’t intended to be used the way people tried to twist the way it was being used. So therefore, what does he have to feel bad about? The fact that [Caraway] shouldn't gloat over other person's issues and try to kiss ass to make a point? 

"If we would have made a homophobic statement, or a statement that was clearly intended to insult homosexuals, that’s one thing," he said. "You come out and say, 'Hey, you know what, I’m really sorry it hurt people. We didn’t mean to do that.' But to me, and this is just my philosophy, and I'm sure it's going to be disagreed with by many people. This is how I think, and how Nate thinks. The mere fact that there is a protocol to deal with these crisis situation implies its lack of sincerity."

read entire article... 

5/20/13 9:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Daht
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sounds reasonable.. why would anyone think faggot is a gay slur?
5/20/13 9:44 PM
NomoRomophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Derp Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 9:44 PM
bekk46
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChokeEmOut - Good, he shouldn't apologize for anything. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it! Phone Post
Quite the expensive opinion. Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 9:47 PM
UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diaz needs to learn how to do the Mitrione shuffle

5/20/13 9:47 PM
warrendale

They could say that they are sorry to the gay community for saying a word that brings negative emotions to them. That it was not their intentions to even bring the gay community into this and that their interpretation of the word means whatever.

Should be treated as if they are speaking different languages because the words mean different things to both groups of people. Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 9:48 PM
Bruham
382 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From a manager's point of view why even keep talking about this? Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 9:49 PM
ChaosOverkill
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

heh in

5/20/13 9:49 PM
warrendale

bekk46 -
ChokeEmOut - Good, he shouldn't apologize for anything. It's his opinion and he's entitled to it! Phone Post
Quite the expensive opinion. Phone Post 3.0
You obviously don't make that NATE DIAZ MONEY. $20,000 to get some vacation time, I'm sure he's complaining. Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 9:50 PM
TheVandalz
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/20/13 9:51 PM
<double post>
5/20/13 9:51 PM
TheVandalz
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bruham - From a manager's point of view why even keep talking about this? Phone Post 3.0

Probably because Ariel asked...
5/20/13 9:53 PM
mghan44
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lots of people will disagree but I think Nate and his manager are spot on with this one.

99% of people who use the word fag do not mean it in any way relating to homosexuals. In fact, if people didn't keep bringing it up I bet a lot of younger teens who use the word would never even know it was ever used to refer to gay people.

Plus, I know gay people who refer to themselves as "fags" all the time.

People need to not be so sensitive about every little thing. You don't see feminist groups going crazy every time one fighter calls another fighter a "bitch", even though bitch has pretty much always been used as a derogatory word towards females.
5/20/13 9:56 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reads like his manager is Tito in a fake mustache Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 9:56 PM
Bruham
382 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheVandalz -
Bruham - From a manager's point of view why even keep talking about this? Phone Post 3.0

Probably because Ariel asked...
You're right, it's impossible to just deflect and say something ambiguous like "It's done, Nate understands why he was fined as do I"

There's a certain level of professionalism that is expected regardless if you agree with something or not when there is large money to be made. Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 10:02 PM
MasterofMartialArts
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm usually not a fan of the Diaz brothers and their antics, but calling somebody a 'fag' over the Internet is simply fucking hilarious. Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 10:04 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

i dont think he shoudl actually feel sorry, but what a fucking retarded, amateur manager to admit that publicly

5/20/13 10:12 PM
TopGrinder

Zuffa brass fetittas and Dana acting cunty in this situation Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 10:24 PM
sodagoespop

This guy went to the Tito school of managing
5/20/13 10:25 PM
Barbalos

Nice to know Diaz can throw away 20k for no reason. I'm sure lots of other fighters would appreciate that money. They should fine him another 20 just to teach him to keep his mouth shut.
5/20/13 10:27 PM
shaqitup
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i can respect diaz standing behind his comments when apologizing would be so much easier.

It's not the smart move though.

5/20/13 10:44 PM
transamman

they need cut him and teach him when to shut his mouth Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 10:51 PM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

Nate meant to call him gay as much as he meant to call him a cigarette...

Punishing someone on a technicality with no consideration for the persons actual intent is absurd.

5/20/13 10:51 PM
BudmademeWeiser
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fag (n). 1. An extremely annoying, inconsiderate person most commonly associated with Harley riders.
2. A person who owns or frequently rides a Harley.

what's so offensive about this word?
5/20/13 10:53 PM
Barbalos

GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE - 

Nate meant to call him gay as much as he meant to call him a cigarette...

Punishing someone on a technicality with no consideration for the persons actual intent is absurd.

Nah. Pretending you're oblivious the the negative connotation of a word, when everybody on this continent is aware of it, is absurd.
5/20/13 10:53 PM
Kostakio
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In. Phone Post 3.0
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.