UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Maynard may have retired if he lost to Guida

5/20/13 9:35 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

It's been almost a year since Gray Maynard's last fight, a split decision win over Clay Guida. The fight was the main event of a UFC on FX card and was one of the less exciting fights in the history of the UFC. Guida bounced around as he does and he and Maynard barely exchanged in the fight. Maynard was frustrated with how the bout went and says he considered not fighting again had the decision gone the other way:

Had one of the two judges who sided with him in the main event of UFC on FX 4 this past June given just one more of the five rounds to Guida, Maynard wonders if he'd even be the subject of a story right now.

"Most of the time, people get pissed at what I'm doing (in a fight)," Maynard told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "But that time, I got pissed at what he was doing. It's an emotional sport. That happened, and thank God I got the win on that – because I don't even think I'd be in the sport right now."

As in retire? Quit? Adios? Maybe, the two-time lightweight challenger said. Had his hand not been raised, he might have just walked away.

"I don't even want to talk about it," he said. "I can't believe it was a split. (But) it happened. I thought long and hard about that."

read entire article...

5/20/13 9:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Poptarts
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maynard's getting old, he's had his chance twice and came up short both times. He's pushing thirty four and still lacking experience and a lot of technique.

5/20/13 9:53 PM
Caligulus

Poptarts - Maynard's getting old, he's had his chance twice and came up short both times. He's pushing thirty four and still lacking experience and a lot of technique.

This isn't about Maynard, it's about how boring Guida can be.
5/20/13 9:57 PM
ChaosOverkill
370 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fact it was a split was absurd Guida should be ashamed to his grave of that fight.

5/20/13 9:58 PM
epic hero

Caligulus - 
Poptarts - Maynard's getting old, he's had his chance twice and came up short both times. He's pushing thirty four and still lacking experience and a lot of technique.

This isn't about Maynard, it's about how boring Guida can be.

This, I would have retired too.
5/20/13 10:03 PM
ortman166

Oh yeah, keys cut guida Phone Post 3.0
5/20/13 10:03 PM
ortman166

Lets* Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 9:21 AM
Y2JB

Maynard can still be champ.
5/21/13 10:53 AM
Poindexter
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/21/13 11:13 AM
FunkMasterJoe
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poindexter -

Great gif. Pretty much the only part of the fight really worth watching. Loved watching Maynard go off like that haha Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 11:26 AM
Chaelismyhero

Poindexter - 

That made me a Gray fan for life.

When it happened I was like "I didn't know Gray was from Stockton" haha
5/21/13 11:37 AM
Big Pookie
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poindexter - 

One stupid judge gave Guida that round because he was on top at the end.
5/21/13 11:40 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
418 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most boring fighter at 155, really hoping for TJ to finish him Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 11:49 AM
Chaelismyhero

GayGuardMooseSaucy - Most boring fighter at 155, really hoping for TJ to finish him Phone Post 3.0

Gray really isn't that boring. He doesn't have a lot of finishes, but that is because he is fighting super tough guys. Edgar,Miller,Diaz,Florian,Guida
5/21/13 11:53 AM
Jaybrone
273 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy - Most boring fighter at 155, really hoping for TJ to finish him Phone Post 3.0

I think Maynard has improved all around as a fighter and is not the same boring guy he was a few years ago. His last 2 fights with Edgar were HIGHLY entertaining and largely due to the pressure he put Frankie under early in those fights.

5/21/13 11:54 AM
Chiron
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That fight made me a fan of Maynard and burned the bridge on ever becoming a fan of Guida again, which I was at one point. Maynard's been criticized over his career but at least he has listened to the fans and come to fight more as his career has gone along. He did everything he could to actually help a fight break out that night. Meanwhile Guida has done the opposite.

I don't know how Guida can live with himself as a fighter after trying so hard not to fight but I guess he'll kid himself into justifying it and keep disrespecting the fans and the sport as he did that night. And the judge that gave it to Guida should be fired. That is some inexcusable stupidity. It's a fight, not Dancing With The Stars.
5/21/13 11:54 AM
Chiron
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That fight made me a fan of Maynard and burned the bridge on ever becoming a fan of Guida again, which I was at one point. Maynard's been criticized over his career but at least he has listened to the fans and come to fight more as his career has gone along. He did everything he could to actually help a fight break out that night. Meanwhile Guida has done the opposite.

I don't know how Guida can live with himself as a fighter after trying so hard not to fight but I guess he'll kid himself into justifying it and keep disrespecting the fans and the sport as he did that night. And the judge that gave it to Guida should be fired. That is some inexcusable stupidity. It's a fight, not Dancing With The Stars.
5/21/13 11:57 AM
UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

notsureifsrs

5/21/13 12:02 PM
JetSetter

Guida is unwatchable Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 12:07 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

JetSetter - Guida is unwatchable Phone Post 3.0
Difficult not to agree with this. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 1:03 PM
SHOOTMedia
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gray on TheSHOOT!

5/21/13 1:16 PM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big Pookie -
Poindexter - 

One stupid judge gave Guida that round because he was on top at the end.
Lol he takes that hook laughing and Guida immediately shoots for a TD Phone Post
5/21/13 1:22 PM
HandyDarsh
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gray had to feel the frustration of an opponents boring gameplan at some point during his career, he's been frustrating most opponents he's faced with his wrestling gameplans.

He did out strike Nate though in the rematch, much respect. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 3:15 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
418 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doctor NPD -
UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS - 

notsureifsrs

Outside the two championship fights with Frankie, he hasn't really had an exciting fight
This. Those Edgar title fights are the only reason he won't go down as the boring fighter he is. Phone Post 3.0
5/21/13 3:53 PM
Mattapooh
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That gif is brilliant, nice to see the sentiment of the entire fight summed up like that.

Fuck, what a terrible fight. Astonishing that Guida still has a job after that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.